The Student Room Group

Asking for help concerning Maths/Physics EPQ.

Hi,

I have been given the opportunity to complete an EPQ in Year 12. Originally, I wanted to do one on Tesla Coils, exploring how they worked and then perhaps buy a oneTesla model.

After seeing an exhibition of previous EPQs, one student did one on Modular Arithmetic, going into detail on Diophantine equations and Cryptography. I was really interested in the Cryptography and did a bit of research about it on the internet. Disappointingly, it would seem that the student had already covered the majority of the mathematical side to it; modulus (in the Caesar shift and the RSA algorithm) and frequency probability of letters.

I am quite keen to do a mathematical EPQ, but I really don't know many branches of maths. One area that does look interesting is Bases and the different cultures that used them, such as the Mayan Base-20, and the Babylonian Base-60.

So, therefore, I am really undecided as to which topic I should do:
- pursue Cryptography and do some more digging, even if the topic is very unoriginal?
- investigate the work of Tesla, including the Coil?
- or, have a look at Bases and how the worked for different cultures?

I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide feedback, support or suggestions for any of these ideas.
Have you read my posts written to people asking a similar question:
Here and Here?

I think the first one is better advice, but I don't know much about EPQ topics.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending