The Student Room Group

University application PS start off quote.

I was wondering how to start off my personal statement for university, and i thought i would start off with a quote.

The quote i have come up with is 'Who wants to live a life when they can predict the outcome of everyday? I want to live a life when not knowing, keeps the brain entertained.'

The courses i am applying for are:

BSc (Hons) Forensic Science with Criminology

DipHE Paramedic Science

BSc (Hons) Sociology with Criminology.

Anyone care to put a spin on the quote or to give me an entirely new quote?

It would be much appreciated.
This sounds like a terrible idea.
Reply 2
That's interesting. I've been told by my tutor not to put quotes in.
Reply 3
From an early age I have been fascinated by... ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't have a fancy opening line. I applied to study International Relations and I just wrote 'I'd like to study International Relations because...'
Reply 5
Original post by red122

Posted from TSR Mobile

Joking aside, OP, I tend to advise against using quotes in personal statements, especially at the start - it's cliched and it's very rare that people find a suitable quote. Despite all of that, I'd still say that starting with a quote is better than starting with "From a young age, I have been fascinated by...". Don't even go there. Don't even think about going there!
Reply 6
If you've made a quote up yourself, it's not a quote it's just an opening line so I wouldn't quote it...

As for fancy opening lines if you want one, use it, it's all in the title personal statement. However if it sounds too pretentious then Uni's will read it and just be instantly put off. Also some Unis hate quotes, others love them, but essentially you do not need them. No University is going to go "oh we can't accept her/him, there's no quote", just write a good personal statement, and if you use a quote make sure it actually has a purpose and it's not just there for the sake of having a quote.

You could say "While reading an article on (insert something crime related), I saw (insert name) had said; "(insert quote)". This really made me think as (then agree, disagree, explain why)"

Don't just open witha quote and then act as if you haven't used one for the rest of your statement

hope this helps :-)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bailey94
I was wondering how to start off my personal statement for university, and i thought i would start off with a quote.

The quote i have come up with is 'Who wants to live a life when they can predict the outcome of everyday? I want to live a life when not knowing, keeps the brain entertained.'

The first point to make is that that isn't a quote at all; it is your own rhetorical question and answer. The second is that you should read my advice about how to start a PS by taking a look at my profile.
Reply 8
Never use the word fascinated!! That's the one thing I've learned the past year, don't use that word. ever.
Reply 9
Original post by red122

Posted from TSR Mobile

If he's putting that in, he might as well put in how he 'likes to help people' or something, so cliché. :s-smilie:

@ OP, don't take that seriously, don't put them two lines in, it'll prob lead you to a rejection or something lol. You should put your reasons down for honestly wanting to do it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Izzyeviel
Never use the word fascinated!! That's the one thing I've learned the past year, don't use that word. ever.

Or any of its many synonyms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending