The Student Room Group

How different are the methods of teaching in a college compared to sixth form??

The title sums up my question.

I spent the past year in my sixth form doing AS levels. So i know what teaching is like in a 'controlled' atmosphere.

I will be transferring to college to resit the year which is making me nervous.

My question: how are lessons taught at colleges?
How different is it at college considering there is much more of a 'freedom relaxed' atmosphere?
Do teachers put pressure on you to do the work?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I am starting my second year of A Levels in September at a college that is rated as "Good" by Ofsted. I chose to go to college instead of sixth form because I was aware of the differences in atmosphere/teaching so I'll give you my impressions and why I enjoy college far more than I ever enjoyed school.

At most colleges you address your teachers by their first name, I find this reduces the 'distance' between myself and my teachers, making me feel less intimidated and more likely to ask questions or even have a laugh with them. Lessons are a lot more light hearted but it depends on your teacher. All I will say is that people go to college because they want to learn, not to annoy the teachers so lessons are generally much more relaxed.

From speaking with my friends who go to sixth form, their teachers and headteacher are extremely tight on homework, lates and absences. At college it's much more relaxed, my maths teacher holds the opinion you're welcome to miss his lessons because it's not his problem if you fail. This gives you much more freedom but also responsibility. I had barely any homework in my first year, although this meant some people never did any work and failed. I took the initiative and it paid off as I got AAAB at AS.

Outside of lessons, you're free to go wherever you want: you can go to the canteen, go to McDonalds or do independent study in the library. There's a lot less messing about at college and as there's so many people from different schools you won't find yourself knowing everyone which is definitely a good thing. My impression is that the people who go to college do it because they want a change from school; I've never seen people pushing each other against walls in corridors like I did at school. It's a much more mature environment and I thought that was great.

So to conclude, if it's a more mature/independent environment you're looking for then I strongly recommend college. However be aware that it also means you have to do a lot of your own revision, ask questions and be self-motivated. If you want to do well and can learn independently, college will be great for you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I went to sixth form for my AS levels and went to a college to repeat my AS levels and I will be starting A2 this year. In sixth form, it is much more controlled, very much like school whereas at college like the above poster said, you will usually be referring to your teachers by their first name (which is the case at my own college). Also like the above poster said, it is much more relaxed but I was also surprised by how mature everyone was. Usually, if there is freedom, then you'd think the freedom would be abused. This isn't necessarily the case, certainly where I attend anyway.

In my sixth form's defence, it was only built in September 2011 and we were the first year, so there was bound to be mistakes, but I much prefer college. It really does depend on your learning style. College I would say is much more independent and probably prepares you better for University (if it is your desire to go) whereas sixth form they do just spoon feed you. Just my personal opinion anyway.

I hope it works out well for you! :smile:
Your replies are really helpful, thanks!! :smile:

Original post by MarkProbio

So to conclude, if it's a more mature/independent environment you're looking for then I strongly recommend college. However be aware that it also means you have to do a lot of your own revision, ask questions and be self-motivated. If you want to do well and can learn independently, college will be great for you.

My college is rated 'good' by ofsted too.
I chose to go college for the exact same reasons as you.
Also because i have been at my sixth form 6 years now, so its time for me to obviously go somewhere else.

Yep, many others have told me exactly what you said.

I am aware of the revision i have to do when i get free lessons.
Hopefully, i wont often feel like going to mcdonalds and everything instead of revising.
I will make a timetable to make sure i manage my time properly.

Original post by sophhiee
I went to sixth form for my AS levels and went to a college to repeat my AS levels and I will be starting A2 this year. In sixth form, it is much more controlled, very much like school whereas at college like the above poster said, you will usually be referring to your teachers by their first name (which is the case at my own college). Also like the above poster said, it is much more relaxed but I was also surprised by how mature everyone was. Usually, if there is freedom, then you'd think the freedom would be abused. This isn't necessarily the case, certainly where I attend anyway.

In my sixth form's defence, it was only built in September 2011 and we were the first year, so there was bound to be mistakes, but I much prefer college. It really does depend on your learning style. College I would say is much more independent and probably prepares you better for University (if it is your desire to go) whereas sixth form they do just spoon feed you. Just my personal opinion anyway.

I hope it works out well for you! :smile:

I also did my AS year at sixth form - totally flopped and now im resitting at college (same as you!).

Just like MarkProbio, many others have told me exactly what you said.

I look forward to be going college! For me, its a whole different world of making friends and doing exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending