The Student Room Group

Dilemma have accepted course in clearing and don't want to go there

Hi,
A friend accepted a course at Notts uni in clearing. She got A*CC in Geography, Biology and Chemistry. Wants to study geography. both her firm and ins choices needed an ABB and she was rejected. The course she accepted will require her to learn Chinese. She has shown no aptitude for languages in the pas
She is in turmoil and needs advice. Her dad is saying go and change course once there. Mum is saying resit and get what you want next year.
Can she now decline the course at Notts. what advice does anyone have?
Reply 1
I'm pretty sure you can't decline after accepting a clearing offer. Why doesn't she give the course a chance and then see whether or not she likes it—I'm sure she wouldn't have been offered the place unless they believed she'd suit it, prior experiences with languages aside.
Reply 2
It is different now since one is getting into potentially £27K debt. Surely you have a cooling off period?
She accepted on Thursday. She will go MAD if she is forced to go to somewhere she resents. She is feeling rejection, resentment, bewilderment, confusion and mania. I am thinking it may be time to go to the GP
Original post by Mickey2909
I'm pretty sure you can't decline after accepting a clearing offer. Why doesn't she give the course a chance and then see whether or not she likes it—I'm sure she wouldn't have been offered the place unless they believed she'd suit it, prior experiences with languages aside.

'Friend'...

The first response you received is a pile of *******s. Of course you can decline! Just ring up and day you have changed your mind. Done.

Then I back through the UCAS process next year.

Mickey2909... Can you imagine... You said you wanted to do the course through clearing in the heat of the moment, or in an emotional panic after ducking up your A Levels. And now you've changed your mind... But too late. You accepted it. You HAVE to go.

Fool.
Reply 4
I have known this girl since she was 6. I am friend's mum. I am seriously concerned about her. She is going over and over her options by going through her options orally and making lists. I think she is unwell. She just needs to stop thinking
Reply 5
Original post by shaymarriott
'Friend'...

The first response you received is a pile of *******s. Of course you can decline! Just ring up and day you have changed your mind. Done.

Then I back through the UCAS process next year.

Mickey2909... Can you imagine... You said you wanted to do the course through clearing in the heat of the moment, or in an emotional panic after ducking up your A Levels. And now you've changed your mind... But too late. You accepted it. You HAVE to go.

Fool.

See, that's what I told someone the other day to which I was promptly told that once you accepted a clearing offer, you were bound to it.
You can pull out; decline your offer; whatever you want to call it. Nobody can force you to go to uni!!! Just call them!
Reply 7
RE clearing i always thought you had to contact the uni and ask them to release you ?

Found this on a website .
If you’ve accepted a place in clearing but you’ve changed your mind and want to apply somewhere else

When you accept a place via clearing and send the institute your clearing passport you are entering a contractual agreement with said institute. If you wish to get out of this agreement you need to contact the institute and arrange it with them.

If they agree to this then you need to contact UCAS to get another clearing passport
Reply 8
Original post by CRIKEY12
Hi,
A friend accepted a course at Notts uni in clearing. She got A*CC in Geography, Biology and Chemistry. Wants to study geography. both her firm and ins choices needed an ABB and she was rejected. The course she accepted will require her to learn Chinese. She has shown no aptitude for languages in the pas
She is in turmoil and needs advice. Her dad is saying go and change course once there. Mum is saying resit and get what you want next year.
Can she now decline the course at Notts. what advice does anyone have?

As with any "accepted" offers your friend would need to ask the university to release her

They will but it may take time

Your friend's Dad is making assumptions :frown:

Your friend's Mum is offering sound advice

Your friend should not go to university this year just because everyone else is going

My suggestion would be for her to call Nottingham and see if she can change course NOW, if not then to ask for a release
Reply 9
I would not worry about her mental health, I was the same when it comes to university things It can be very difficult, although she maybe putting too much on going to university straight away make sure she realises that its no big deal if she takes a year out, maybe get a job, its good too save money before going to uni anyway.

making lists is also normal and going over it erratically, at least to me its normal, it might not be normal for her, but she is probably thinking too much about it
Reply 10
If it's the geog and chinese studies course then i Just had a look at that course and it says. "Optional Mandarin language pathway or choice from optional pathways in Chinese studies (dealing with cultural and legal, social and political aspects of China), "

But if she just wants to do straight geography then it might be best not to do the course , even if she doesn't have to learn the language .
Reply 11
Thanks for all the advice. She has gone to ground for now. Not sure what she is doing.
If you have a firm unconditional place at university either because you met the conditions of your CF or CI offer or because you have applied through clearing and then accepted it you can ask the university to release you. Most will if you explain the reason to them, especially if the course is not one you feel you will complete. The universities do not want to see people dropping out of their courses. This can take time. If they will not release you then you can still withdraw but you need to withdraw from this year's ucas cycle. This would give the option of resitting exams to get the grades to go to the university and course of choice (especially if predicted higher grades and underperformed.) She could also ask the university to defer her entry so that she has longer to think about it.

If the course at university requires particular A levels beware of going with a shaky foundation. You might be advised to find a way to strengthen your background knowledge. One way to do this is to resit your A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending