durham v manchester Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jane
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
im down to deciding between the 2. both have offered me ABB so i cant put them both, but current thinking is edinburgh insurance (BBB). the course (PPE) looks very good but very similar at both! i went up to visit this week and was hoping it would help me make my mind up but has made me want to go to both...

i just really cant decide! if anyone can help, im worried that durham might get too claustrophobic and might be a little boring.
im not worried about getting bored in manchester but it might be too big and am thinking employers will rate durham higher....

only a month to decide....

thank you
mg84
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jane)
im down to deciding between the 2. both have offered me ABB so i cant put them both, but current thinking is edinburgh insurance (BBB). the course (PPE) looks very good but very similar at both! i went up to visit this week and was hoping it would help me make my mind up but has made me want to go to both...

i just really cant decide! if anyone can help, im worried that durham might get too claustrophobic and might be a little boring.
im not worried about getting bored in manchester but it might be too big and am thinking employers will rate durham higher....

only a month to decide....

thank you
I doubt very much that employers will rate Durham higher, as Manchester is rated very highly in that aspect and the merger between Manchester and UMIST will probably improve the reputation further. The top 15 in the Daily Telegraph Graduate Employer Survey are shown below. However, I'm not sure I trust the ranking as UCL is 21st, LSE is 23rd and York is 29th!

1. Cambridge
2. UMIST
3. Oxford
4. Manchester
5. Warwick
6. Imperial
7. Nottingham
8. Birmingham
9. Leeds
10. Edinburgh
11. Bath
12. Bristol
13. Loughborough
14. Sheffield
15. Durham
chaaa
Report 14 years ago
i dont get all these tables

any explanations?

like is durham good? cus on guardian its 28th? n stuff... hmm...

confusion!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The question is a bit silly, both universities are totaly different, Durham is campused based while Manchester is very much city based.

You should decide which type of university you want to go to then narrow it down.
Jane
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
durham is actually collegiate but yeah the cities are v different. i actually don't know what i want, hence this posting....

half the people i speak to say manchester (based on the city etc) and the others say durham (tending towards its reputation)....
bananaman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jane)
durham is actually collegiate but yeah the cities are v different. i actually don't know what i want, hence this posting....

half the people i speak to say manchester (based on the city etc) and the others say durham (tending towards its reputation)....
Reputation's not as important as getting a good degree, which you'd do somewhere you prefer to live and where you're enjoying yourself.
Thom18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jane)
Basing your judgement totally subjectively, without any objective thought (eg. don't think about future employment or reputations), which would you most prefer to go to?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Manchester, I think the evidence suggests that you wouldn't suffer coursewise anyway.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
With all this new merger I would say that Manchester's a very inovative university and Durham is slightly stuck in the past a bit in comparison. In five years time I would not be surprised if Manchester becomes the new York.
Icarus
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
In five years time I would not be surprised if Manchester becomes the new York.
New...York?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (10)
37.04%
No (17)
62.96%

Watched Threads