Unregistered People slowing down server Watch

This discussion is closed.
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
sorry to post this again if you get offended, but...........
I am more certian now then ever, that is because there are so many unregistered people online, that the server gets bogged down.

I mean, i just checked, and there were 44 people online, out of which only about 5 were actually doing anything, and there were 145 unregistereds.

Kan someone please tell me the facts if im wrong in this belief.
sparkler
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i'm sure that someone wrote on here a while back, that the registered users use up more 'space' than the unregistered..i dunno

but you are right in that there are a lot more of them compared to us!

we're being over-run!!!

ooh...and before i submit this, i visit another message board run by vbulletin and they have now made it so that only guests can view the boards - that wouldn't half help with the server business malarky!!
ThunderCat8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would love it if only registered members were allowed to view messages. I think that 8/10 for me I get the busy server message. It is downright infuriating!

REGISTERED MEMBERS ONLY! W00T!

...i just got the busy server message while trying to post this reply, that is the most annoying!
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ThunderCat8)
I would love it if only registered members were allowed to view messages. I think that 8/10 for me I get the busy server message. It is downright infuriating!

REGISTERED MEMBERS ONLY! W00T!

...i just got the busy server message while trying to post this reply, that is the most annoying!
ditto, i think most of the time i get the busy message now. what you need possibly is a password to get into the site. a bit draconian and anti-social, but it is getting to the point of unusable
J
SHANDY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You people were unregistered users once so was I.
Babygal
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SasunD)
sorry to post this again if you get offended, but...........
I am more certian now then ever, that is because there are so many unregistered people online, that the server gets bogged down.

I mean, i just checked, and there were 44 people online, out of which only about 5 were actually doing anything, and there were 145 unregistereds.

Kan someone please tell me the facts if im wrong in this belief.
this is the first time since 5 that i've actually been able to access the site, and still i can't access everything
Powerline
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SHANDY)
You people were unregistered users once so was I.
Yeah,but they should also register, like we did! it doesnt take much to just register a user!
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yey, vote registered users only
will1y2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i registered straight away!!! i dont think there should be any unregistered people allowed to slow down the site.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There were 210 guests on just a few minutes ago. The concept is completely useless. Why should we let people go around and see everything that we do on here when we don't know who they are.
_meiko_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by moncal)
There were 210 guests on just a few minutes ago. The concept is completely useless. Why should we let people go around and see everything that we do on here when we don't know who they are.
yeah, exactly, they are just voyeurs, they are not even posting anything
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
But how would google index the site if unregistered users weren't allowed?
exactly, therefore, google wouldn't give us any new memebrs and our population would dive :rolleyes:
SasunD
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
no, you should have it so that the number of unregistered users online has a maximum capacity, like 100 or something. not cut off unregistereds completely, but limit them. so, if the surfers are genuinly interested, then they will register, and if theyr are not, well they will get that nasty screen that we are all now familiar with.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
exactly, therefore, google wouldn't give us any new memebrs and our population would dive :rolleyes:
I go on another site which isnt viewable to unregs but (somehow you can check by the whose online tracker) google can still access it.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
That would be a good thing.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *reasoning*)
That would be a good thing.
bono!!! hey whats up?
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I reckon that the best thing would be more ways to encourage unregistered users to register. Maybe a message at the top of the home page or something.
RoyFester
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SasunD)
no, you should have it so that the number of unregistered users online has a maximum capacity, like 100 or something. not cut off unregistereds completely, but limit them. so, if the surfers are genuinly interested, then they will register, and if theyr are not, well they will get that nasty screen that we are all now familiar with.
That would be a good idea but it isn't easy to implement ...

Why are there so many guests? It's nearly 2am now, and I'm being told "Currently Active Users in this Forum: 155 (19 members and 136 guests)" No wonder there's server problems.. but i don't see how there can be such a huge amount of guests compared to members, especially at this time!!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (95)
18.66%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.65%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.72%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.97%

Watched Threads