The Student Room Group

Medicine Recreational reading

I thought it would be useful if there was a thread about medicine reading. I have just finished " The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks" and found it a worthwhile read. I am now starting to read the rise and fall of modern medicine. Fellow medical students should post medical/ science books they have read and their comments on them. Keep it relatively light reads not medical textbooks.
Reply 1
There's already a wiki page.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applications_Further_Reading

If only people searched :facepalm:
There are some books which are really interesting :smile:

Have you tried anything by Oliver Sacks? His writing is really interesting and easy to read. It's basically a series of neurological case studies. It's quite entertaining and interesting! :smile: The one everyone recommends is the man who mistook his wife for a hat, but how about Musicophilia or Hallucinations? :smile:

Try reading some chapters from 'The Greatest Benefit to Mankind' by Roy Porter. It's essentially a beefy book about the history of medicine, so I wouldn't recommend reading all of it. But you can pick out certain chapters which discuss the development of a certain medical industry from antiquity to present. Good read!

'Every Patient Tells a Story' by Lisa Sanders is cool, as is 'Phantom in the Brain' by V.S. Ramachandran.

Original post by Lightbulbmoment
I thought it would be useful if there was a thread about medicine reading. I have just finished " The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks" and found it a worthwhile read. I am now starting to read the rise and fall of modern medicine. Fellow medical students should post medical/ science books they have read and their comments on them. Keep it relatively light reads not medical textbooks.
Reply 3
Dunno if this is what you're looking for, but there are a couple of books based on blogs written by Junior Doctors for newspapers a few years ago.

One is called "Help Me, I'm a Junior Doctor" (Max Pemberton) and the other is "Bedside Stories: Confessions of a Junior Doctor" (Micheal Foxton).

They're quite good for getting a sense of what foundation years are like, and make decent reads. Both really short and easy to get through. Someone recommended I read them before applying to get an idea of the career. It's not quite accurate as they were written before the EU Working Hours directives came in, but I reckon a lot of it'll be the same. :]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending