The Student Room Group

What are you most scared about for when you start university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JAJC
For some reason not liking my course.

Aha, everybody has that worry! If you decide you truly aren't comfortable then you can always do something else like switch to another subject, but really have a go first. There were a couple of times in my first year I was a bit unsure about whether my degree was for me but as the year went on I really couldn't imagine leaving and doing something else.

Think about your goals (and set yourself some as well) and do your best :biggrin:
Original post by arkhamz
Not making friends, the course being a total sausage fest and or being filled with dude bros.

Gotta watch out for those dudebros, very dangerous (dude-gerous??)

What course are you doing? :biggrin:
Original post by Hilly1
I'm just scared of being by myself.
I don't want to not make friends. I'm not overly talkative and sociable.. so I don't know what to do.

That's why I'm doing shared accommodation because otherwise I know that while I do want to make friends. The fact I'm not talkative (I'm quiet) then I fear that people will just overlook me.. :'c :afraid:

It was the same for me last year, don't worry! Even us quiet people can find friends. One of my best friends from uni and I only talk about once or twice a week but we're very close, don't worry about needing to constantly talk or anything. Just be honest with yourself and don't put yourself out with your social interactions. Asking interesting questions can get you places as well!
Original post by Hello53
I'm not moving out so the whole independence thing doesn't bother me. I'm just panicking over the work - I'm sure it's going to be a massive jump from A Level! I did quite well at A Level and managed to exceed the conditions of my offer, but I had a LOT of support from my tutors. I know this won't be available in uni, so I'm worrying :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a HUGE amount of help available at uni, from your lecturers, academic advisors and from other students, so don't think that you're alone! All you need do is ask :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by victoriahowells
Gotta watch out for those dudebros, very dangerous (dude-gerous??)

What course are you doing? :biggrin:

Haha, I have to admit that made me chuckle. Very dude-gerous!

I'm planning to study biomedical science, what about you?
Original post by arkhamz
Haha, I have to admit that made me chuckle. Very dude-gerous!

I'm planning to study biomedical science, what about you?

Excellent, I'm here to please :biggrin: Starting second-year Law in three weeks! So excited! I have a friend at Plymouth who studies that, she said it's really fun and you can bug the medical students for help if you get stuck.

On the dude-gerous subject, it's likely you'll meet some guys like that but the drama-queens are so much worse. On my floor last year ten of us pranked this massive drama queen and another guy by completely switching their rooms while they were out, it was AMAZING. Not all dudebro activities are awful, I promise!! She wouldn't talk to us for about six months, but she was awful so it was completely worth it.

Drama queens are hilarious provided you don't get mixed up in the drama, and dudebros tend to have hilarious exploits. We had one guy who was quite muscular and we painted him green for a halloween party (HULK!)

So don't worry too much :biggrin:
Making new friends.
I'm living at home with my parents, and the university is 10minutes away on the bus. I don't know anyone on my course, and I probably will not go to the freshers week. Loner (Y)
Original post by gabbiehall
Making new friends.
I'm living at home with my parents, and the university is 10minutes away on the bus. I don't know anyone on my course, and I probably will not go to the freshers week. Loner (Y)

Why not go to some fresher's week events? They're often a lot of fun. And if there's a fresher's fair with societies advertising themselves that's usually a good way to meet people too.

Being 10 minutes away by bus isn't bad. Certainly for most London universities at least everyone is travelling that far or further and they mostly manage.
Reply 28
Trying to push out a silent fart in a lecture and ending up having a dump in my pants.
Presentations- I have crippling social anxiety
Making friends
Doing well on my course (I really want a 1st)
Meeting people - I have a stammer, one of the things I inevitably stammer on is my name. I just know there's going to be some idiots who make 'funny' comments like did you forget your name or tries to give me advice like think about what you want to say - I know what I want to say, it just won't come out!
Reply 31
Original post by Kre
If there's one thing as a second year I can tell you not to worry about, it is making friends. All freshers are in the same boat as you and they'll be just as eager as you to make friends. Do NOT stay in your room for the first few days, go out and mingle. Friendship groups form during the first few weeks so if you don't get yourself out there, you will find it harder later on. My sister went to university a few years before me and she was afraid of not making friends but assured me it won't be a problem at all. She was right. :smile:

The other thing I was initially scared of when starting university was moving out an becoming independent. Chances are your flatmates probably haven't lived by themselves either so you'll get through it together and help each other along the way. :smile: I was absolutely clueless in the kitchen, but one of my flatmates taught me to cook some basic, but good food! I'm now a connoisseur of pasta and all pasta related meals. :cool:

Oh and, the first night out during pre-drinks will be quite awkward. Drinking games should help keep things flowing though and once people get a little merry, everything turns out fine. :wink:

How about if you live at home?
Reply 32
Original post by SyedaK
How about if you live at home?

It shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you join a lot of societies and attend socials. You'll be able to make friends through them. Also, get to know your course mates and make a good impression. If you make friends with people living in halls, try and go on nights out with them and meet more people. The first couple of weeks, everyone wants to know everybody else so make a good effort. :biggrin:
Original post by scapepower
You don't understand how women treat me..

I've had women tell me not to look at them or talk to them - women i never knew or harmed or did wrong to, and i look normal/ smell normal.

I've had women stand next to me, then when they are about to make a convo look at me and look away and desist from talking to me.

It's torture. If it were not for my family being left behind, i wouldn't have a reason to live tbh. It's upsetting to say the least.

people wwho are like that aren't worth your time. Honestly, I'm a girl and I have a jaw defect and it makes me look kind of upset and a bit manly at times. The number of comments is ridiculous sometimes, but I honestly often find it's because I'm in the company of an *******.

Uni is much more open, don't worry about it too much and stay away from people who are rude to you. :smile:
Original post by Little Isis
Making friends

What subject are you taking? My subject doesn't call for any presentations until third year and then they're not in front of many people.

Also, don't worry about doing well on your course. That's completely in your control and something you can methodicaly work towards. I got 68% average in my first year which is just under a first but I know it's because I was very ill and injured for the last two months of the year.

Just work calmy and pay attention, and don't do skimpy revision! I started revising at Easter and it meant I did quite well in a lot of my modules. :biggrin:

What was this going to be? I'm intrigued...
Reply 37
The foreigners

Making friends

Channel that anxiety towards your studies
Reply 38
Making friends

If you struggle in social situations generally try to throw yourself into halls life/societies, then when it comes to presentations and potential vivas and the like you can just focus on knowing your stuff.

Original post by chickenonsteroids
Not being able to afford anything, being excluded from social things (not with poor intent) because I'm on crutches and missing out on too many lectures due to an operation.

Other than that, university should be cool.

You'll probably get to jump the massive Freshers' week queues at clubs, your flatmates can probably hitch on, they'll love you!

Original post by BOdy Odour
The foreigners

Channel that anxiety towards your studies

Surely channel that towards helping overcome it? No use studying mega hard for a presentation only to clam up because you struggle to cope with the situation.
Not being able to turn around my social anxiety, being a shut in and ending up really lonely. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending