which university soooooo confused!!!! :(

Watch
This discussion is closed.
mathsgeek
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hey guys this is my first post just really confused about which university offer to take up. i have offers from the following all for maths(4 years):

warwick
imperial
york
kings (dont really want to go here as i know its the worst out of them all)

i dont know what to choose, my main reasons for choosing for choosin warwik is that its out of london, and i believe ill enjoy myself more, however i feel imperial has a better reputation and will help my job prospects. also york has a good reputation so which one is it guys which uni shall i choose keeping in mind repuitation etc
t
Big P
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mathsgeek)
hey guys this is my first post just really confused about which university offer to take up. i have offers from the following all for maths(4 years):

warwick
imperial
york

i dont know what to choose, my main reasons for choosing for choosin warwik is that its out of london, and i believe ill enjoy myself more, however i feel imperial has a better reputation and will help my job prospects. also york has a good reputation so which one is it guys which uni shall i choose keeping in mind repuitation etc
t
From your offers its between Warwick and Imperial. It depends on what you want to do after university. If you work in the city, i recommend Imperial as it is so well known and reputable. Warwick is great and i am decieding between Economics at Nottingham UCl or warwick. its really hard to choose isnt it?!
I would recommend Imperial though Warwick is also VERY reputable and if you do not want to stay in london then i dont think going to warwick will hinder you that much but bear in mind imperial is world famous and you are very lucky(/clever!) to get an offer.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ReturnofGnostic)
Listen Geek, KCL is far superior than yorky bar
LOL KCL is definitely not superior than york and esp in the department of mathematics, york is way better than kcl
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
dude, go to imperial! It's got an amazing reputation and two of my friends are going there. Plus london's more fun. But warwick is also very good so go there if you disliked imperial. There's no point going somehwere you don't like but that has a superior reputation.

I think imperial may also have links to american universities. And bear in mind if you do a postgrad or go for a competitive job a first/2:1 from imperial is going to look marginally more impressive than the same from Warwick. I know in terms of academic research the two departments are very similar but imperial's got the brand name.
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

warwick
imperial
york

t
Not York. Its the only university I was warned away from by the maths department at school. Apparently its not all that.
mg84
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

warwick
imperial
york

t
If you want to live in London, choose Imperial. If you don't, choose Warwick. Both have very strong reputations, so I would advise you go to whichever you're likely enjoy more.

(Original post by ditzy blonde)
Not York. Its the only university I was warned away from by the maths department at school. Apparently its not all that.
I've never heard that before. Why exactly is it 'not all that'?
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mg84)
If you want to live in London, choose Imperial. If you don't, choose Warwick. Both have very strong reputations, so I would advise you go to whichever you're likely enjoy more.

I've never heard that before. Why exactly is it 'not all that'?
I don't remember, I think maybe it just doesn't have such a good reputation for maths.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
I don't remember, I think maybe it just doesn't have such a good reputation for maths.
York is famed for its english, history and music departments. And maybe some other arts departments too. It is probably not a maths university. Bath, however, is.

KCL and maths is not that great a partnership either. Sounds like you've decided, it's warwick or imperial
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads