unknownvariable
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all =)

I'm an International student and will need a CAS for my student visa application.

Has anyone else received a Pre-CAS email yet? I sent off my AS12 on results day, and I'm just pretty anxious to start my visa application

Thanks in advance!
unknownvariable
Rep:
?
Anyone?
Emptywind13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there, the same with me really. I sent my as12 on results day, and replied to the email about cas with my official name and passport number. No reply yet, but hopefully they'll come soon i'll let you know if anything comes. Where are you from btw? I'm coming from Seoul, though I've been studying in England for a while now. I'm going to study English at Josephine college, which college are you?
unknownvariable
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emptywind13)
Hi there, the same with me really. I sent my as12 on results day, and replied to the email about cas with my official name and passport number. No reply yet, but hopefully they'll come soon i'll let you know if anything comes. Where are you from btw? I'm coming from Seoul, though I've been studying in England for a while now. I'm going to study English at Josephine college, which college are you?
Fingers crossed! All this waiting is almost as bad as waiting for offers from Unis! Thanks!
I'm coming from Malaysia, but I've been in an International school with the British Syllabus.

I'll be in St. Cuthberts.
unknownvariable
Rep:
?
I Got my pre-CAS email around 6pm yesterday. =) It doesn't state that we have to reply to confirm anything. It seems we only reply if anything is incorrect
Emptywind13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello again I just got my pre CAS email a few days ago, but still haven't received the CAS number(!). Hopefully you've got yours by now, but if you're anxiously waiting like me, I've just got off the phone with Durham and they said that they'll be sending it either next Tuesday or Wednesday. Waiting for the CAS number is definitely as bad as waiting for results! Good luck)
unknownvariable
Rep:
?
Hi! Just received mine, after I emailed a few times. Good luck to you too! I agree!
Which college are you off to?
Jacky'O
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Apparently Durham has a bit of a reputation for not getting CAS numbers out in enough time for students to get a VISA without stressing over it. I really hope they send out the CAS numbers soon since I'd like to get there on time!
unknownvariable
Rep:
?
I hope you get yours soon! I rushed to apply for my visa, probably won't stop worrying until I actually get it. fingers crossed =)
Jacky'O
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have to wait to send my visa application in until Friday. Hopefully priority service will speed things along. I can't wait until I'm at Durham and then I can be stressed about school instead.
Emptywind13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Same here, I sent my visa off yesterday and I hope that we'll all be able to get it back on time! I'm going to Josephine Butler college i got the freshers week information, and I'm a bit nervous really, but looking forward to it all the same. Good luck to you both :crossedf:
Emptywind13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi everyone! I finally got my visa back on Monday!
In case it is useful for anyone in the future, I was able to get my CAS number on the 5th of September, after 7 emails and a phonecall. So try to contact the university as early and as often as possible. I think it may have taken even longer, because I made the mistake of sending in the proof for Eng. ability (GCSE certificate) late & also having to correct an error in the Pre-CAS email they send you with your personal details.

I think I'd also start the visa application before getting the CAS number, so that you can send it off once you get the CAS number. For anyone completing the visa form for the first time -

• you basically start a visa application online,
  • complete all your details (you don't need the CAS no. here),
  • pay for it online, print off an appendix separately and fill in your CAS no. (your 'Sponser' is not your parent etc. but the uni. you're going to, and so the uni should give you the 'Sponser details' along with the CAS number),
  • book an appointment with your country's visa application centre,
  • go there at the appointed time with a photocopy of the picture page in your passport and a photograph (the visa application photo is bigger than a passport photo),
  • after going through the application with the officer there you'll send it off (if you're worried it won't arrive in time you can pay extra for an express delivery - mine took 3 days excluding the weekend, but it can take up to a week, otherwise you don't need to bring extra cash and it will take 2-3 weeks, though in some cases it has been 4 weeks),
  • lastly they will take your thumbprints,
  • you can track your application online, and it will tell you when you can come back to collect it,
  • go back to the centre with your receipt (stapled onto the photocopy of your passport picture page) and collect it.

Also, in case you weren't already aware, check if your uni/school is considered a 'HTS' (highly trusted sponser), because this means that you don't need to provide as much evidence (certificates, grades and bank account details). I didn't know about this so I brought more paperwork than I actually needed;;;

It feels much better once your visa is out of the way, so try to get it done as soon as possible!
Jacky'O
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's a really good guide, Emptywind13.

I also had to send a tonof e-mails and call. Although my phone call turned out to be really useless. I think (for me at least) the most effective person to contact was Sharne Procter. I e-mailed her and the next day I had my CAS number.
nafeeshossain
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTE=Emptywind13;44475046]Hi everyone! I finally got my visa back on Monday!
In case it is useful for anyone in the future, I was able to get my CAS number on the 5th of September, after 7 emails and a phonecall. So try to contact the university as early and as often as possible. I think it may have taken even longer, because I made the mistake of sending in the proof for Eng. ability (GCSE certificate) late & also having to correct an error in the Pre-CAS email they send you with your personal details.

What exactly was wrong in your pre-CAS email? My first name and date of birth is wrong in my pre-CAS email from Durham University, what should I do?

Secondly, is an A in GCSE English Language an alternative to IELTS for an undergraduate course? Thanks.
nafeeshossain
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Emptywind13)
Hi everyone! I finally got my visa back on Monday!

I think I'd also start the visa application before getting the CAS number, so that you can send it off once you get the CAS number. For anyone completing the visa form for the first time -

• you basically start a visa application online,
  • complete all your details (you don't need the CAS no. here),
  • pay for it online, print off an appendix separately and fill in your CAS no. (your 'Sponser' is not your parent etc. but the uni. you're going to, and so the uni should give you the 'Sponser details' along with the CAS number),
  • book an appointment with your country's visa application centre,
  • go there at the appointed time with a photocopy of the picture page in your passport and a photograph (the visa application photo is bigger than a passport photo),
  • after going through the application with the officer there you'll send it off (if you're worried it won't arrive in time you can pay extra for an express delivery - mine took 3 days excluding the weekend, but it can take up to a week, otherwise you don't need to bring extra cash and it will take 2-3 weeks, though in some cases it has been 4 weeks),
  • lastly they will take your thumbprints,
  • you can track your application online, and it will tell you when you can come back to collect it,
  • go back to the centre with your receipt (stapled onto the photocopy of your passport picture page) and collect it.

Also, in case you weren't already aware, check if your uni/school is considered a 'HTS' (highly trusted sponser), because this means that you don't need to provide as much evidence (certificates, grades and bank account details). I didn't know about this so I brought more paperwork than I actually needed;;;

It feels much better once your visa is out of the way, so try to get it done as soon as possible!
What exactly was wrong in your pre-CAS email? My first name and date of birth is wrong in my pre-CAS email from Durham University, what should I do?

Secondly, is an A in GCSE English Language an acceptable alternative to IELTS for an undergraduate course? Thanks.
Saad5544
Report 1 year ago
They just require a C grade in GCSE in english.
(Original post by nafeeshossain)

Secondly, is an A in GCSE English Language an acceptable alternative to IELTS for an undergraduate course? Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (179)
28.59%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.27%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.13%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.19%

Watched Threads