The Student Room Group

Should I resit to get into Medical school?

Here are my A level results: A*(English lit) A(Bio) B(Chem) a( in as level maths). I was 7 UMS away from an A in Chem, and I'm getting it remarked. I have no extenuating circumstances; I got complacent and that's completely my fault. My GCSE results: 8A*s 3As.

If my grade doesn't go up, should I resit and apply to medical schools? I understand that Brighton and Sussex, East Anglia, Exeter, and Plymouth accept resit applicants. But are there any others? Also, what are the chances of getting in- ie, would a resit majorly disadvantage my application to these schools?

Furthermore, Exeter will consider resits at no disadvantage provided the final grades are achieved within 2 years of applying, could someone explain this to me differently?

Plus anyone who's got in after retaking, could you give me some hope? I haven't found anyone yet so the chances are looking almost non-existent...

Thank you for any help! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by fmilton
Here are my A level results: A*(English lit) A(Bio) B(Chem) a( in as level maths). I was 7 UMS away from an A in Chem, and I'm getting it remarked. I have no extenuating circumstances; I got complacent and that's completely my fault. My GCSE results: 8A*s 3As.

If my grade doesn't go up, should I resit and apply to medical schools? I understand that Brighton and Sussex, East Anglia, Exeter, and Plymouth accept resit applicants. But are there any others? Also, what are the chances of getting in- ie, would a resit majorly disadvantage my application to these schools?

Furthermore, Exeter will consider resits at no disadvantage provided the final grades are achieved within 2 years of applying, could someone explain this to me differently?

Plus anyone who's got in after retaking, could you give me some hope? I haven't found anyone yet so the chances are looking almost non-existent...

Exeter mean that they don't want someone who got their A level grades 2 or more years ago applying. So you would be fine even if you retook! So they don't want someone applying for 2014 entry who got their A level results in 2010 for example.

A friend of mine applied to a very competitive engineering course. She missed a key grade, retook it in the following year, reapplied and got in.

It is completely possible. If you work hard to bring up chemistry and have a strong personal statement and work experience, I think you have a very good chance.

It is excruciatingly competitive so you could think about med schools with lower grades?

Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by fmilton

You can also add Liverpool and Lancaster to the list of medical schools which accept resitters. All you have to do is reflect and acknowledge on the need to resit in your PS. With your grades you'd get full points in terms of GCSE so whether you'd receive an interview would be entirely based on your PS. Also IIRC Keele accept A*AB so you may be able to apply to them too but I'd double check. Resitting and applying to these schools will not massively disadvantage you.
Lastly don't lose hope! I achieved AAB (B in Biology) Didn't have Chemistry at AS or A2. I resat the Bio, took Chemistry during my gap year and received 3 offers. There are quite a few of us around just search the resit applicants thread :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you! This really helped! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending