The Student Room Group

Renting a flat without references?

Anyone know if this is possible or not, and estate agents that offer this in London/other places I could look?

Unfortunately I'm 19 and have never had a private landlord before. :s-smilie:
Different estate agents and private landlords have different rules regarding references - you should ask around the area you want to move to and find out who don't require them!

I've lived in four different flats, two with estate agents and two with private landlords. One of the private landlords and one of the estate agents required a reference from a previous landlord as well as a personal reference - but the others didn't ask for references and just wanted a guarantor instead.
Reply 2
It depends but private landlords are more likely to not ask for a reference in my experience.

What websites are you using to search for a property? Gumtree is a popular one for private landlords.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
My landlord did zero background checks on me, thankfully. We had a chat and got on great because we're both great guys and gave me the room. At the time I was unemployed. Some you have to give proof of job the lot.

Go on spareroom.com and they're the type of places that change tennants a fair bit or the choosing is left to the housemates and they will do zero checks.
Reply 4
Are you having to rent private accommodation for uni?

In which case there are plenty of sites designed for students. My university only recommends studentpad.co.uk which have properties all over the country, and don't require a reference. Well my landlady hasnt mentioned one at all and the site doesn't say we will need one.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending