The Student Room Group

Asda Porter role..

I was an ex asda colleage last year and my manager phoned me back in to do a 'have a go' for asda porter, which is basically sorting out trolleys, etc from what i've been told. can anyone tell me more in detail what my role will be and what to expect and what NOT to do? thanks
Reply 1
I could really do with knowing what its like to be a porter at asda s i start on sunday?
Reply 2
Well at the Asda i work at i seem to have signed up to a job description of "Porters jobs are extensive and varied". When i first started the job your primary job is to push trolleys/ clear bays and do a basket run on the hour. Within a year my job has esculated to basically anything a lazy section leader or manger doesn't want to do. to give you an idea here is a list of jobs (technically some arn't mine) that we are told to do and are now told off if we dont:
1)Primary role of pushing trolleys and clearing bays
2)Basket run every 30mins or when i get radioed to do so
3)bringing trolleys in for customers
4)bringing trolleys in for colleagues who need to use one (either within their job or for shopping)
5)Checkouts if they want you (even if this means leaving the car park unmanned, which shouldn't be left for more than 15mins)
6) Painting bollards and metal railings for a visit
7) Putting numerous banners up
8) Helping the asda petrol station if they have a problem (such as a spillage)
9) i have been given the task of changing the hanging promotional asda inside asda
10) when i new delivery of bags come in it is now our job to sort them into days for the week AND bring them to the checkouts from the warehouse (the furthest point away from the car park)
11) i also sort out the bags for life, pp bags and till rolls along with bringing out a selection of them each night for them to replenish the checkouts.
12) all done in ANY weather.
I could go on but overall id say it depends on how lazy and how demanding your manager and section leaders are. If they're like mine, they'll change what i would say is the best job in asda to the worst.
You'll find you are not appreciated for doing these countless tasks but you will be "councilled" or told off if you fail to do so.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending