The Student Room Group

Which 5 universities?!

Hey! I'm going to apply for psychology next year (2014 entry) and I'm having a lot of trouble choosing universities!
My AS results are:
Biology-A (90%)
Psychology- A (83%)
English lit-B (78%)
Chemistry-C (69% 1 UMS off a B. Getting it remarked and dropping it)
I am also looking at taking the EPQ next year :smile:
Hopefully I will end up with AABB which I'd be incredibly happy with. Especially as I had to do two modular results in biology and chemistry respectively after getting a C and an E in january. i don't know what my predicted grades will be, but I'm looking at applying to
UCL (A*AA) am I aiming too high?
Bristol (AAA)
Royal Holloway (AAA) Iin the middle of nowhere? Good for pshchobiology?
Cardiff (AAB)
Nottingham (AAB) i've heard student satisfaction isn't great
Kent (AAB)
Bangor (280-340 UCAS points) is this too safe an option?
Maybe Exeter (AAA)

I prefer the biological side of psychology which is why I'm not sure that Exeter and Kent would be the right fit for me. I have however also heard that kent has great graduate prospects. I visited Exeter on a summer school, would this aid my application?

With my AS grades and aspirations which combination of universities do you think would be the best? I'd like to avoid 5 rejections! Haha
Thanks for any replies! :smile:

So I've pretty much decided on UCL, Bristol and RH. But I'm not sure which my other 2 should be, I'm stuck between Nottingham, Cardiff, Kent and Bangor. Which would you choose if you were in my situation especially since the three that I've picked are extremely high risk? Thank you!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tiajacob
Hey! I'm going to apply for psychology next year (2014 entry) and I'm having a lot of trouble choosing universities!
My AS results are:
Biology-A (90%)
Psychology- A (83%)
English lit-B (78%)
Chemistry-C (69% 1 UMS off a B. Getting it remarked and dropping it)
I am also looking at taking the EPQ next year :smile:
Hopefully I will end up with AABB which I'd be incredibly happy with. Especially as I had to do two modular results in biology and chemistry respectively after getting a C and an E in january. i don't know what my predicted grades will be, but I'm looking at applying to
UCL (A*AA) am I aiming too high?
Bristol (AAA)
Royal Holloway (AAA) Iin the middle of nowhere? Good for pshchobiology?
Cardiff (AAB)
Nottingham (AAB) i've heard student satisfaction isn't great
Kent (AAB)
Bangor (280-340 UCAS points) is this too safe an option?
Maybe Exeter (AAA)

I prefer the biological side of psychology which is why I'm not sure that Exeter and Kent would be the right fit for me. I have however also heard that kent has great graduate prospects. I visited Exeter on a summer school, would this aid my application?

With my AS grades and aspirations which combination of universities do you think would be the best? I'd like to avoid 5 rejections! Haha
Thanks for any replies! :smile:

You might as well apply to a range. After all, you choose five so one or two rejections doesn't really matter. I would therefore apply for UCL if I was in your position - you've done really well in your Biology AS so if you keep it up next year then I think that A* would be possible :smile: Your English Lit is very close to being an A, so you my be able to move that up next year too. I personally would apply to one course wanting A*AA, two wanting AAA and two wanting AAA, but of course it's completely your choice. Have you looked around the unis?
I agree, you should definitely go for a range. However, you really need to visit them all if it's possible - I had quite a long list with similar entry requirements and going to open days really helped me to decide which ones I liked :smile: you can't just go by the photographs! Have you considered if you'd prefer to go to a campus based uni or not? I visited Bristol and the buildings were scattered around whereas Nottingham for example was all in one place.

So yes, I'd recommend visiting them if you haven't already as it really helps :smile: seeing the accommodation also helps!
Reply 3
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
You might as well apply to a range. After all, you choose five so one or two rejections doesn't really matter. I would therefore apply for UCL if I was in your position - you've done really well in your Biology AS so if you keep it up next year then I think that A* would be possible :smile: Your English Lit is very close to being an A, so you my be able to move that up next year too. I personally would apply to one course wanting A*AA, two wanting AAA and two wanting AAA, but of course it's completely your choice. Have you looked around the unis?

Thank you for this answer. It was very helpful! I'm assuming you meant AAB? Yeah I've looked around Exeter as I mentioned and I've booked open days at RHolloway, Nottingham and Bangor. Do you think an A*AA prediction is realistic especially since I had to resist to get the A in biology? Which AAA and AAB universities would you recommend? do you think i should forget Bangor?Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by shannons-chateau
I agree, you should definitely go for a range. However, you really need to visit them all if it's possible - I had quite a long list with similar entry requirements and going to open days really helped me to decide which ones I liked :smile: you can't just go by the photographs! Have you considered if you'd prefer to go to a campus based uni or not? I visited Bristol and the buildings were scattered around whereas Nottingham for example was all in one place.

So yes, I'd recommend visiting them if you haven't already as it really helps :smile: seeing the accommodation also helps!

Thanks for the reply! :smile: which would you pick because I'm really stuck. I've been to Exeter and I live 50 minutes away from Bristol so have seen the buildings multiple times :smile: I have also booked open days at Bangor, RH and Nottingham. I'd like to go to a campus university but Bristol and London I know quite well so I wouldn't mind living in the city :smile:
Just out of curiosity, Where did you apply and what were your A2 predictions? Thank you! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks for the reply! :smile: which would you pick because I'm really stuck. I've been to Exeter and I live 50 minutes away from Bristol so have seen the buildings multiple times :smile: I have also booked open days at Bangor, RH and Nottingham. I'd like to go to a campus university but Bristol and London I know quite well so I wouldn't mind living in the city :smile:
Just out of curiosity, Where did you apply and what were your A2 predictions? Thank you! :smile:

No problem! :smile: Personally I prefer campus unis because everything is together and you don't have to rely on transport to get to lectures etc. (e.g. the accommodation at Bristol is quite a way from the main buildings so you have to get a bus there) but other people prefer being away so it's just down to your choice. I really liked the campus at Nottingham as it's all together but there is a lot of open space/grass which was nice. I can't really say which I'd pick as I don't know much about some of them, but I'd definitely go for UCL and Nottingham :smile:

As for me, I was predicted ABB at A2 and I applied for:
KCL - AAB
Leeds - BBB
Bristol - AAB
Cardiff - ABB
QMUL - ABB

I got offers from all of these, although some grades were higher than what was on the website at the time (Leeds went from BBB to ABB) and some were lower (QMUL went from ABB to BBB).
Reply 6
No problem! :smile: Personally I prefer campus unis because everything is together and you don't have to rely on transport to get to lectures etc. (e.g. the accommodation at Bristol is quite a way from the main buildings so you have to get a bus there) but other people prefer being away so it's just down to your choice. I really liked the campus at Nottingham as it's all together but there is a lot of open space/grass which was nice. I can't really say which I'd pick as I don't know much about some of them, but I'd definitely go for UCL and Nottingham :smile:

As for me, I was predicted ABB at A2 and I applied for:
KCL - AAB
Leeds - BBB
Bristol - AAB
Cardiff - ABB
QMUL - ABB

I got offers from all of these, although some grades were higher than what was on the website at the time (Leeds went from BBB to ABB) and some were lower (QMUL went from ABB to BBB).

Could I ask your opinion on Cardiff? What made you apply there? :smile:
Could I ask your opinion on Cardiff? What made you apply there? :smile:

That's a good question actually - I had one space left on UCAS and I picked Cardiff mainly because of the location (I wanted to go to a big city) and because at the time the entry requirements were my predicted grades. I also wanted to stick to the Russell group unis because generally they have a good reputation :smile:
Reply 8
That's a good question actually - I had one space left on UCAS and I picked Cardiff mainly because of the location (I wanted to go to a big city) and because at the time the entry requirements were my predicted grades. I also wanted to stick to the Russell group unis because generally they have a good reputation :smile:

Haha yeah they're similar to the reasons I picked Cardiff. That and the fact that its supposed to be really good for biological psychology :smile:
Reply 9
So I've pretty much decided on UCL, Bristol and RH. But I'm not sure which my other 2 should be, I'm stuck between Nottingham, Cardiff, Kent and Bangor. Which would you chose if you were in my situation? Thank you! :smile:
So I've pretty much decided on UCL, Bristol and RH. But I'm not sure which my other 2 should be, I'm stuck between Nottingham, Cardiff, Kent and Bangor. Which would you chose if you were in my situation? Thank you! :smile:

I'd definitely go for Nottingham - it is really nice there :smile: I'm not sure about the others though.. I guess you need to think about whether you'd prefer being in a city (Cardiff) or a more rural location (Kent/Bangor). From your other options it seems like you prefer cities! :smile:
Reply 11
Make sure you do visit! I put down Birmingham before visiting and when I did I didn't like it at all. :<
I was predicted AAB and applied to..
Bristol - AAB, Cardiff - AAB, Birmingham - AAB, Glasgow - ABB, Plymouth - BBB

I ended up with ABC and I'm going to Cardiff! :biggrin:
It seems like such a nice uni, and the city is lovely too. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Raeile
Make sure you do visit! I put down Birmingham before visiting and when I did I didn't like it at all. :<
I was predicted AAB and applied to..
Bristol - AAB, Cardiff - AAB, Birmingham - AAB, Glasgow - ABB, Plymouth - BBB

I ended up with ABC and I'm going to Cardiff! :biggrin:
It seems like such a nice uni, and the city is lovely too. :smile:

I'm definitely going to visit! Haha I'm not sure if UCL have a pre offers open day though. The only one I found was in June 2014 for offer holders :/ I hope Cardiff is as great as it sounds because I've heard a lot of good things! Did you get offers from all of them and if so what were they? You got in even after missing their offer? That's so reassuring! :smile: Do you think they'd continue being lenient, even for extremely competitive subjects like psychology? Thanks so much for your help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm definitely going to visit! Haha I'm not sure if UCL have a pre offers open day though. The only one I found was in June 2014 for offer holders :/ I hope Cardiff is as great as it sounds because I've heard a lot of good things! Did you get offers from all of them and if so what were they? You got in even after missing their offer? That's so reassuring! :smile: Do you think they'd continue being lenient, even for extremely competitive subjects like psychology? Thanks so much for your help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure either. Someone else will know all about UCL and be able to give you an answer though. :smile: The ones I listed were my offers. I then chose Bristol and Cardiff as my Firm and Insurance. :biggrin:

I've heard they are normally pretty lenient, and the fact my offer was based on deferred entry may have changed things? :smile: But yes, this still let me in. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest