The Student Room Group

ionic.? covalent.?

which is stronger.? ionic.? covalent.? and why.?
Reply 1
Ionic bond is the strongest. It is because it is a force of two different charges of integer value (for instance 1e and -1e), while covalent bond is a force of partial charges, as one of the atoms attracts the electron cloud more than the other (electrons cruise closer to him) and thus - it's charge is lower than of the second one, but the difference is not as big as it is in ionic bond, where the the ions are created (so an electron leaps from one atom to another - it is such a strong force).

Btw, I'm in high school, so maybe someone more proffessional could make an opinion. Of course, we should mention that none of the ionic bond is 100 pure (so we can say that the bond is 90% ionic), but that is, in my opinion, only a detail
Original post by minlovera

First thing to say is that it's not a binary system, bonds are rarely 100% ionic or 100% covalent, most bonds exist on a spectrum with some covalent character and some ionic character.

It's not really a straightforward question to answer, I'm afraid as you can't really compare ionic and covalent bonds satisfactorily

This thread may help

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1903456
(edited 10 years ago)

This is a bad question (if you take it like you are) as there is no way of directly comparing bond strengths between the two types as they are so different. It depends hugely upon the situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JMaydom
This is a bad question (if you take it like you are) as there is no way of directly comparing bond strengths between the two types as they are so different. It depends hugely upon the situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What he said

:yep:
Reply 5
It is not always that the ionic bond comes out to be the strongest. It depends upon the type of situation. However, in most of the cases ionic is stronger due to electrostatic force of attraction as compared to covalent.
Original post by saurabhrai
It is not always that the ionic bond comes out to be the strongest. It depends upon the type of situation. However, in most of the cases ionic is stronger due to electrostatic force of attraction as compared to covalent.

Ummmm, the hardest known material (diamond) is held together by purely covalent bonds!!!
Reply 7
Ya, i also confuse with it.. Sometime say covalent stronger, sometime say ionic bond stronger:confused:
Ya, i also confuse with it.. Sometime say covalent stronger, sometime say ionic bond stronger:confused:

You don't just flip a coin, it is dependant upon the system of interest. Difficult to express what we mean without an example.... why don't you give an example of a system you are being asked to justify which is stronger.
Original post by JMaydom
Ummmm, the hardest known material (diamond) is held together by purely covalent bonds!!!

I heard there is one form of boron nitride that is harder than diamond. Just putting that out there...
Original post by Holby_fanatic
I heard there is one form of boron nitride that is harder than diamond. Just putting that out there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_nitride#Physical

apparently very close..... Does it really matter for the point I was making? :tongue:
Original post by JMaydom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_nitride#Physical

apparently very close..... Does it really matter for the point I was making? :tongue:

No, I was just wondering if it was actually true and I'm too lazy to Google. :tongue:
Reply 12
but the peoplewho ask this question do not give us any example.. just simply ask whichnone is strongerthen why.. :
There are so many variables to account for; there is no single answer. Specifics are needed.

It's like saying "what's faster, a car or a motorbike?"

You're an undergraduate and you're asking a question like this? :lolwut: without the environmental conditions for where the types of bonds are tested its an impossible question to answer, is it in water or cyclohexane or what exactly? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
we were doing a presentation about the covalent bond..this question was asked during the question and answer section
Reply 16

strong is relative. like many other chemists have posted here, ionic and covalent are the two extremes and in reality, many substances fall somewhere in between these two extremes.

this question could not have been worded much worse, i suppose. Also having been posted is that you have simple covalent and giant covalent and the peculiarly high mp and bp of graphite and diamond, hmm, strange eh?

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest