The Student Room Group

My AS - levels wern't good and i still want to go to medical school. Whats my options

I got BCDD

B (226/300) - maths
C (201/300) - Chemistry
D (169/300) - Physics
D (171/300) - Music

I know i can do biomedical science and transfer but i know how competitive it is and if i wasn't to succeed i don't like the sound of the biomedical course and where i will end up with it.
I know i can apply as a graduate but i would have to pay for medical school myself the second time i go to university plus it would be very lengthy.
I know i could take a gap year out if i could pull of great results and turn these around.
I know i could re-sit all my exams or the ones i failed on but also know that medical schools frown upon those who re-sit

Ultimately i have two questions...

1) what other options do i have that i may not have covered

2) Is there realistically any point in continuing with medical school (i have a strong passion for the subject and a caring nature)
Original post by hipered301
I got BCDD

B (226/300) - maths
C (201/300) - Chemistry
D (169/300) - Physics
D (171/300) - Music

I know i can do biomedical science and transfer but i know how competitive it is and if i wasn't to succeed i don't like the sound of the biomedical course and where i will end up with it.
I know i can apply as a graduate but i would have to pay for medical school myself the second time i go to university plus it would be very lengthy.
I know i could take a gap year out if i could pull of great results and turn these around.
I know i could re-sit all my exams or the ones i failed on but also know that medical schools frown upon those who re-sit

Ultimately i have two questions...

1) what other options do i have that i may not have covered

2) Is there realistically any point in continuing with medical school (i have a strong passion for the subject and a caring nature)

You missed a huge and important one.

Apply now. Resit your AS levels during A2. Get predicted AAA and get in.

Mos universities don't look at your AS results, only your A2 predictions.

There are also widening access courses to consider which offer medicine with a foundation year and lower entry requirements.

EDIT: You'll need to also look into unis that are happy for you to not have biology.
(edited 10 years ago)
I got BBBC in my AS and got an offer for Keele medical school

It's all about your A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saying as you don't do biology you'll find it very difficult to find a medschool who will take you, you may be eligible for a 6 year foundation medicine course which takes people with 1 science at Alevel with grades BBB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abbieastoria
Saying as you don't do biology you'll find it very difficult to find a medschool who will take you, you may be eligible for a 6 year foundation medicine course which takes people with 1 science at Alevel with grades BBB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well spotted!
Reply 5
Original post by BethaneyJ
You missed a huge and important one.

Apply now. Resit your AS levels during A2. Get predicted AAA and get in.

Mos universities don't look at your AS results, only your A2 predictions.

There are also widening access courses to consider which offer medicine with a foundation year and lower entry requirements.

EDIT: You'll need to also look into unis that are happy for you to not have biology.

I know about the foundation courses but there only allowed to thoughs who have 1 lab based science ... im entitled to widening access courses and how am i meant to get predicted AAA with BCD as my grades?
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have two lab based sciences and i know some med schools that allow biology only to AS level... the majority say chemistry is the fundimental and did you get into keele with BBBC or BBBC as your predicted grades then got like three A's?
I know about the foundation courses but there only allowed to thoughs who have 1 lab based science ... im entitled to widening access courses and how am i meant to get predicted AAA with BCD as my grades?

No there are a variety of different foundation courses with different requirements. :yes:

Beg. My college predicted you whatever you convinced them too. I had BCC and got prediced AAA. You never know.
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

She does 2 sciences? Physics and Chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I didn't get great grades in my AS levels (BBCC, I didn't work hard enough) so I:
- begged my teachers to increase my predicted grades. When begging didn't work, I cried. They predicted me A A/B B.
- applied for med schools that accepted AAB predictions (this was for 2005 entry, so A* didn't exist) and that had a reputation for being flexible (most medical schools will read an A/B prediction as being a B, but some gave second chances.) Got an offer of AAB from UEA.
- resat one module of Biology and two of Chemistry in January of upper sixth form, to bring those up to As.
- worked like hell, got AAA in my A-levels and went to UEA.

If you don't get an offer from a med school, but you do get good A-level results next summer, then take a gap year and reapply. If you get a job in healthcare (maybe in a residential home or something?) you won't be as bored, you'll be able to save some money for med school so you'll be able to enjoy it more when you get there, and you won't have to slog through a biochem degree you're not really interested in to then have to pay a fortune to go to medical school... although that's still an option if you don't get accepted after your gap year.

If being a doctor is really your dream, then don't give up.
Reply 10
Original post by Bex W
I didn't get great grades in my AS levels (BBCC, I didn't work hard enough) so I:
- begged my teachers to increase my predicted grades. When begging didn't work, I cried. They predicted me A A/B B.
- applied for med schools that accepted AAB predictions (this was for 2005 entry, so A* didn't exist) and that had a reputation for being flexible (most medical schools will read an A/B prediction as being a B, but some gave second chances.) Got an offer of AAB from UEA.
- resat one module of Biology and two of Chemistry in January of upper sixth form, to bring those up to As.

If you don't get an offer from a med school, but you do get good A-level results next summer, then take a gap year and reapply. If you get a job in healthcare (maybe in a residential home or something?) you won't be as bored, you'll be able to save some money for med school so you'll be able to enjoy it more when you get there, and you won't have to slog through a biochem degree you're not really interested in to then have to pay a fortune to go to medical school... although that's still an option if you don't get accepted after your gap year.

How was UEA? Do you work as a doctor now?
Reply 11
Original post by Bex W

Thank you this is very helpful !!! i will try the begging for BCD to go to AAB and do the access schemes thanks alot :biggrin:
I have two lab based sciences and i know some med schools that allow biology only to AS level... the majority say chemistry is the fundimental and did you get into keele with BBBC or BBBC as your predicted grades then got like three A's?

Got in with BBBC at AS and AAA as predicted grades, I missed my grades and now study abroad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending