The Student Room Group

any international students?

Hey, I was wondering if any of you were international students studying law in the UK? I have a few questions, such as if you were able to find employment (for those who graduated), what uni you chose, your thoughts on it, if you got internships/vacation placements etc.

any info on your thoughts of being international studying law in the UK would help basically.

thanks!
Reply 1
im an international student too. Got here from canada a week ago. ur questions are great and hopefully someone would give a reply.
Reply 2
Original post by missjay123
im an international student too. Got here from canada a week ago. ur questions are great and hopefully someone would give a reply.

Mind if I ask which uni you'll be studying at? And what made you pick it vs other unis?
Yeah Canada! Same here. Did you apply to any schools yet? I applied to Leeds, Queen Mary, Leicester, Westminster, and Sussex. Have only been offered a spot in the graduate-entry LLB at sussex so far. I chose them based on location and rank in the university tables.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hello. I'm an international student and just graduated with my law degree. I accepted a deferred training contract with DLA Piper for 2015 entry, currently on a voluntary gap year where I'm working with the foreign office. I got 8 Vacation Scheme offers with law firms, of which I did 5. I also got 12 mini-pupillage offers of which I did 6.

Any other questions?
Reply 5
Original post by arrowhead
Hello. I'm an international student and just graduated with my law degree. I accepted a deferred training contract with DLA Piper for 2015 entry, currently on a voluntary gap year where I'm working with the foreign office. I got 8 Vacation Scheme offers with law firms, of which I did 5. I also got 12 mini-pupillage offers of which I did 6.

Any other questions?

Congrats man, sounds like you did well. Which law school did you attend. Also if you don't mind me asking, where are you from and do you find employers may be less likely to hire non UK applicants?
Reply 6
Original post by Andrew1.white
Yeah Canada! Same here. Did you apply to any schools yet? I applied to Leeds, Queen Mary, Leicester, Westminster, and Sussex. Have only been offered a spot in the graduate-entry LLB at sussex so far. I chose them based on location and rank in the university tables.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't applied to any yet, I probably will only next year. Are you going to try to get work in the UK or coke back to Canada. Good luck with the rest of your applications.
Reply 7
Original post by canada87
Congrats man, sounds like you did well. Which law school did you attend. Also if you don't mind me asking, where are you from and do you find employers may be less likely to hire non UK applicants?

Hello!

I attended the London School of Economics for a 3-year LLB in Laws. I'm from India. Being international means that there are only a certain kind of law firms you can apply to i.e. top, commercial firms in London who are willing to sponsor us. That limits the pool and heightens the competition a great, great deal. I found that employers were more than willing to hire internationals as long as they were competent of course. I find there were some people on my course who cried 'racism' and claimed they weren't getting interviews because they were internationals, none of them seemed particularly willing to acknowledge the fact that they had low 2.1 averages (or worse) in their degrees and we were in the midst of an economic crisis.
Reply 8
Hello!

I attended the London School of Economics for a 3-year LLB in Laws. I'm from India. Being international means that there are only a certain kind of law firms you can apply to i.e. top, commercial firms in London who are willing to sponsor us. That limits the pool and heightens the competition a great, great deal. I found that employers were more than willing to hire internationals as long as they were competent of course. I find there were some people on my course who cried 'racism' and claimed they weren't getting interviews because they were internationals, none of them seemed particularly willing to acknowledge the fact that they had low 2.1 averages (or worse) in their degrees and we were in the midst of an economic crisis.

thanks for the information. I'm from Canada but I am lucky enough to have an EU citizenship so I don't need to get sponsored. I was more worried about inherent bias against foreign students.

Also, you obviously went to a top school. Do you find it is possible to get hired by top firms if you went to say, a Russel group school but not to oxbridge, lse etc.

thanks again for all your help.
Reply 9
thanks for the information. I'm from Canada but I am lucky enough to have an EU citizenship so I don't need to get sponsored. I was more worried about inherent bias against foreign students.

Also, you obviously went to a top school. Do you find it is possible to get hired by top firms if you went to say, a Russel group school but not to oxbridge, lse etc.

thanks again for all your help.

There is no inherent bias against foreign students, especially not at the top end firms who frequently deal with international clients and must employ international lawyers for their dealings, so you have nothing to worry about!

Oddly enough I had a discussion along the lines of your second query just yesterday, that whether you don't go to a top uni re: Oxbridge, how much of a difference that makes, if any at all. You might be interested in reading this.
Reply 10
There is no inherent bias against foreign students, especially not at the top end firms who frequently deal with international clients and must employ international lawyers for their dealings, so you have nothing to worry about!

Oddly enough I had a discussion along the lines of your second query just yesterday, that whether you don't go to a top uni re: Oxbridge, how much of a difference that makes, if any at all. You might be interested in reading this.

Thanks! Interesting thread, defintly was good to ha e those perspectives.

I'll ask you one last question then I'll leave you alone haha. What extracurriculars, languages skills etc do the top law firms look for. Obviosily it varies, but if you could give me some insight it would be much appreciated.
Thanks! Interesting thread, defintly was good to ha e those perspectives.

I'll ask you one last question then I'll leave you alone haha. What extracurriculars, languages skills etc do the top law firms look for. Obviosily it varies, but if you could give me some insight it would be much appreciated.

Language skills would be the usual, I would say: Mandarin, French, Spanish, German - pretty much anything useful or in a country where that law firm has an office.

As for extracurriculars, those specifics are not really as important. Most law applicants tend to have similar extracurriculars: debating, mooting, Law Society executive position, some random society executive position, a bit of charity work here and there, the like. It's more about how you present your extracurriculars as helping you fulfil the various competencies that law firms are looking for is what matters most.

Have you started uni already? If you are doing Law (or even non-law) you should look into applying for the various first-year programmes and opportunities.
Haven't applied to any yet, I probably will only next year. Are you going to try to get work in the UK or coke back to Canada. Good luck with the rest of your applications.

I'm most likely heading back to Canada after, though am not opposed to working in the UK after, if possible. I'm not familiar with the visa process, but I would like to do an internship while I am there. I've heard of people getting hired by international firms and transferring back to Canada - so that is a possibility. Thanks, and good luck to you as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending