The Student Room Group

Gap Year? Or different course at Manchester Uni? Help me please!

Hi :smile: I'm having a dillemma! In my A levels I achieved A (English Lit) B (History) C (Biology); I missed out on my offer to study Politics and History at both of my choices but have been offered a place on a different course at the Uni of Manchester (my original firm choice). I've actually accepted the offer but I'm having second thoughts - I have a choice between just going and studying this new course in September or taking a gap year, getting a job and resitting a few exams in the hope that I'll accepted onto my chosen course the second time around.

Basically, my worries are (and if anyone can answer any one of these, then great!)...

Will I get lonely on a gap year (most friends will be at uni making new friends)?

If I manage to get a job abroad for the ski season as housekeeping staff - til' April - will I have time to revise for my exams?

Say I go to uni this year, what if I hate the course?!

Can I re-submit the same personal statement? It was a nightmare to write the first time around, let alone a second!

Any help would be massively appreciated! THANK YOU :nooo:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HiThere123
Hi :smile: I'm having a dillemma! In my A levels I achieved A (English Lit) B (History) C (Biology); I missed out on my offer to study Politics and History at both of my choices but have been offered a place on a different course at the Uni of Manchester (my original firm choice). I've actually accepted the offer but I'm having second thoughts - I have a choice between just going and studying this new course in September or taking a gap year, getting a job and resitting a few exams in the hope that I'll accepted onto my chosen course the second time around.

Basically, my worries are (and if anyone can answer any one of these, then great!)...

Will I get lonely on a gap year (most friends will be at uni making new friends)?

If I manage to get a job abroad for the ski season as housekeeping staff - til' April - will I have time to revise for my exams?

Say I go to uni this year, what if I hate the course?!

Can I re-submit the same personal statement? It was a nightmare to write the first time around, let alone a second!

Any help would be massively appreciated! THANK YOU :nooo:

I'd suggest a gap year if you aren't entirely sure that you will enjoy the course

There's currently an article on the front page of TSR about what's best in this situation (written by yours truly!)

Read that article, and in specific answer to your questions
-you won't get lonely if you find stuff to do and make friends with your new colleagues and others around you
- yes, but I'd suggest taking your work with you so that you can do the bulk of the work out there
- you'll either have to drop out and reapply, or request a course change, which may or not be possible
- you can resubmit it, but you'll want to tweak it to show you haven't done nothing on your gap year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'd suggest a gap year if you aren't entirely sure that you will enjoy the course

There's currently an article on the front page of TSR about what's best in this situation (written by yours truly!)

Read that article, and in specific answer to your questions
-you won't get lonely if you find stuff to do and make friends with your new colleagues and others around you
- yes, but I'd suggest taking your work with you so that you can do the bulk of the work out there
- you'll either have to drop out and reapply, or request a course change, which may or not be possible
- you can resubmit it, but you'll want to tweak it to show you haven't done nothing on your gap year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! Think I've just got to stop worrying and go for it. The article basically answered most of my questions and the links to volunteering websites were tres helpful :smile:
Out of curiosity, what's the different course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending