economics at cambridge or oxford Watch

This discussion is closed.
Investmentboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi im hoping to apply to cam and ox for econ for 2005.

I have 3 A levels at A (business, law, sociology) and this coming year am going to take another A level in English or something and A/S Maths both of which I hope to get A in. Im also a mature student and will be 24 by 2005.........Have I got a chance of getting in?

Also which is better Cambridge, Oxford or LSE? both for Reputation and Teaching quality

Thanks for any help

Ant
mg84
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Investmentboy)

I have 3 A levels at A (business, law, sociology) and this coming year am going to take another A level in English or something and A/S Maths both of which I hope to get A in. Im also a mature student and will be 24 by 2005.........Have I got a chance of getting in?

Also which is better Cambridge, Oxford or LSE? both for Reputation and Teaching quality

Thanks for any help

Ant
Cambridge is best overall for Economics, but LSE has a very good reputation for research. You should have a reasonable chance of getting in, but the lack of Maths at A2 might cause a problem!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You can't apply to both for undergraduate courses.
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
you will certainly need A2 Maths for LSE, and also probably for Cambridge and for Econ/Man at Oxford, you'll have to do some research beforehand picking a college which will consider you.
DLo
Report 15 years ago
Well accorfing to the currinet times league table , UCL is top followed by cambirdge and the LSE. Then oxford is lower.

I don't think under the ucas rules that u can apply for both oxford and cambridge. So u have to pick one. Therefore Cambrodge is better that oxford because it is better connected and has a better econ history. Also oxford doint do straight economics, they do either economics and management or PPE (politice, phylosophy and Economics). I know becoause i applied to oxford (unsucessfully). I should havew applied to cambridge. However i do not regrett it. because if u get invited to an interview (with 90% do) then the oxford interveiw is more fun. This is because they invite u for three days with free accomadation and food. I met a lot of friends during the interview. The interview for economics and management consists of a wrtitten paper and an interveiw with the econ prof and then one with the management prof. However u should havesome idea of what management is cos it is hard.

Th cambrigge intervwie is lonly one interviwe and only lasts about an hour so u o nmot get to stay there long.

Also to improve ur chances, look at the ranking tables of the different colleges within oxbridge (the norringto tanble in the case of Oxford) to improve u chances, go for one near the bottom of the table.

However hoving told u of my experiences, both UCL and LSE have better reaserch rating than oxbridge (5* instead of 5). The London ones also have very good connections but are more expensive to go to.

other universities to consider are bath warwick and durham.

I hope this i helpful enough.
Investmentboy
Rep:
?
Yeh cheers guys, so you cant apply to both cam and ox. Ok question 2 could some one explain this whole collages within oxford thing as i dont understand it. Dont they just have an econ collage/dept or are there more than one if so why?
Is it the same with cam?

I have heard about reading books before interview??????? whats that all about, do i have to read some books?

Sorry to ask these stupid questions but as a MATURE STUDENT NOBODY SEEMS TO TELL YOU WHAT ALL THIS STUFF MEANS?
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeh cheers guys, so you cant apply to both cam and ox. Ok question 2 could some one explain this whole collages within oxford thing as i dont understand it. Dont they just have an econ collage/dept or are there more than one if so why?
Is it the same with cam?

I have heard about reading books before interview??????? whats that all about, do i have to read some books?

Sorry to ask these stupid questions but as a MATURE STUDENT NOBODY SEEMS TO TELL YOU WHAT ALL THIS STUFF MEANS?

You are right, these are stupid questions. And as a MATURE student you should take the initiative to look at the Universities' websites for an explanation of the collegiate system. If you are interested in HE, why should you be waiting for someone to tell you what all this stuff means. Find out.

You sound ever so dim. You need to do a lot more than read books before the interview.

May I suggest that you log out of UK-L and browse Oxford and Cambridge's websites to get a basic understanding of the situation. After that, come back and discuss the issues that are less accessible from published material, such as people's attitudes to particular colleges, opinions of courses etc.

I hope I have helped.

PS You may apply to both Ox and Cam if you can play the organ and wish to have an organ scholarship (or something to this effect).
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Thanks for any help

Ant
....also, on further reflection - and to address your initial post - your chances are VERY slim.

If I were in your shoes, I would immediately embark on a course of study which involves A level Mathematics and Economics. 2 A grades here would bring you to acceptable minimum standard for Economics at these universities (IMO), as a mature student. Then perhaps you could work on the other areas that need attention.

I am a mature student with an offer from Cam for an undergrad degree. My experiences have shown that admission into Cambridge for mature students can be somewhat more challenging than admission for under 21s. The reason for this is that not only do you need to meet the same academic/extra curricular standards as these under 21s, but you also need to account for your time in the years after leaving school. You must demostrate consistent progress and achievement during your years away from education, and not only that, you also demonstrate how your experiences as a mature person can benefit not only the course, but general university life.
bandeauballet
Report 15 years ago
Economics A Level is not essential for Economics at Cambridge but Maths A2 is important
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bandeauballet)
Economics A Level is not essential for Economics at Cambridge but Maths A2 is important

It may not be essential, but I think it would be very helpful. I can imagine it would be more helpful than English Literature.
Investmentboy
Rep:
?
It seems quite clear from your reply that you are mentally ill, as if you had taken the time to look you would realise there is very little information on the subject of mature entry. Also if you do not have anything constructive to say do me a favor and go away. As for a2 maths it is not required as a mature student as i have asked. So thanks to all the people giving good advice and to all the people with nothing to say but unhelpfull rubbish go away...cheers
DLo
Report 15 years ago
oxford and cambridge both have around 30 collegels each. SO when u apply u have to apply to either a cretain college or a pools system where (they give u a college with extra spaces left). Each coolege is diferent in its own right has they were founded by different poeple at difernt times as the uni expanded. They are all their own college in their own right so most teaching will be done there but occasionally u will share lectures with other colleges. The colleges have little rivalries with each other so there is a league table of them. However they are all good and becasue they are smaller, u get to know everybody. i recommend going to have a look at each one but there are so many u want get a look at all of them so u may have to leave it to which ever u come across first

anyway good luck
Investmentboy
Rep:
?
thanks Dlo much appreciated
Keeton
Report 15 years ago
What is the big obsession with Oxbridge?
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It seems quite clear from your reply that you are mentally ill, as if you had taken the time to look you would realise there is very little information on the subject of mature entry. Also if you do not have anything constructive to say do me a favor and go away. As for a2 maths it is not required as a mature student as i have asked. So thanks to all the people giving good advice and to all the people with nothing to say but unhelpfull rubbish go away...cheers
Similarly, it seems quite clear from your name that you haven't got a clue about investment. If you cant research a simple matter as the university collegiate system, then how the hell will you cope with investment?

Did you not read my response? I have already been through the admission process. Therefore, I do not need to be told that there is little information on the subject of mature entry. However, what has this got to do with the collegiate system or the required subjects? Most colleges take mature students and will be willing to be a LITTLE flexible with some of the entry requirements.

Beneath the insults in my posts you should be able to see that there is some good constructive advice. You should do well to remember that just because a particular subject is not essential does not mean it will not strenghten your application. Economics at Cambridge will require a good deal of mathematics, and by completing an A2 in Mathematics at A grade you will have an easier time convincing the admissions tutor that you will cope with the maths involved.

Furthermore, the 3 A levels you have already completed are not particularly impressive subjects. Economics is about making choices. What will an A2 in Literature bring to your application for Economics? Not a great deal I would imagine. Whereas an A2 in Maths will definitely strengthen your application. Besides, Maths will add a science subject to your application, balancing it with the arts subjects you already have.

Finally, you should also remember that Economics is a very competitive subject. Colleges have only one or two spaces for mature Economics students and they often recieve many applications for those few places. For this reason you need to have a very tight application. My college only offer one place for my subject (which is much less competitive than Economics!) and when I turned up for my interview there were another 6 people being interviewed for the space - most of which had at least 3 A graded HARD academic A levels. Some even had 5 A grades at A level.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Keeton)
What is the big obsession with Oxbridge?
Well, this is an Oxbridge forum :rolleyes:
Keeton
Report 15 years ago
[To Mentally Ill]

I am wanting to do economics at university, but i am not sure what to expect. Perhaps you could give me some insight.

I do IT, Maths, and Business Studies now, and my business studies did it and said i would be well suited to it. I am planning to study it at leeds business school, they require 3 B's and i am expected 3 A's but don't fancy going to oxbridge.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Keeton)
[To Mentally Ill]

I am wanting to do economics at university, but i am not sure what to expect. Perhaps you could give me some insight.

I do IT, Maths, and Business Studies now, and my business studies did it and said i would be well suited to it. I am planning to study it at leeds business school, they require 3 B's and i am expected 3 A's but don't fancy going to oxbridge.
Sorry Keeton, I cannot give you an insight into what to expect of Economics at University as I do not study it. I was only trying to give some admission advice to InvestmentBoy. There is an abudance of Economic students in the University forum so they should be able to help you out.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The lovely Katie Derham, who now presents London Today/Tonight, read Economics at Cambridge.
anguman
Report 15 years ago
Hi,
I am going to be applying to Oxford to read PPE later this year. I have asked the Oriel College admissions tutor regarding helpful preliminary reading that may aid in the interview. He suggested 'The Wealth of Nations' by Adam Smith. This book is a must so try all you can to get hold of it and read it and understand it asap. Secondly, in terms of the Economics element of PPE, he also recommended finding out as much as you can about John Maynard Keynes and his theories because they are simply that influential to modern economic thought. Those were the books he said to read for Economics. He also added that reading the Economist and quality newspapers to be extreamly helpful.

I don't see why you don't have a chance of getting in. As long as you get the grades in challenging A Level subjects and participate in extra-curricular actuvities, you have a chance.
You need to be confident with yourself. If you don't get in and you feel that you tried your best then in truth it is Oxford's loss, not yours. Also I know some may think otherwise but if you are not a 'super-genious 10A*s and 4As Public School' person, be weary of your college preference. Some colleges are ultra pretentious so choose carefully. But if you do fit into the mold above, you are the subject of envy among many an applicant.

Hope it was helpful,
Angu
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed