The Student Room Group

I am really, really sick of seeing this thread cloned over and over

"I just got my AS results and I am SO DEPRESSED. I got UUX. Like, they even invented the X grade specially for me, that's how badly I did. I was 1 UMS off an E in Biology as well. But you see, I know in my heart that I can do better than this. I know that I am capable of getting AAAB, then bumping it up to A*A*A at A level and then doing Medicine at Oxbridge - maybe UCL as a last resort, though I doubt it would stretch me much.

So, if I start revising 4782648 hours a week from day 1 of A2 year, do every past paper in existence, blackmail the head of AQA with Photoshopped photos of him having sex with a pigeon to get him to make me more past papers, do them, go over the specifications with a magnifying glass, give up sleeping, eating and breathing (okay, I might breathe on the weekends, but it'll be a LUXURY), retake all my AS exams alongside my A2s while wearing my lucky socks and crossing my fingers, toes, eyes and appendix...do you reckon I will be able to get A*A*A? Because I reckon I can. Seriously."

STOP.

I have seen this thread SO many times over the past couple of weeks and I am getting fairly sick of it. None of us can tell you your potential, only you know that (and you might even be deluded about it) so yes, going from BDEU to AAA might make us sceptical. There is nothing we can tell you other than 'retake, and work harder next time'. If your sixth form or college has kicked you out, then we're sorry, but if you didn't do the work then it's your own fault and you're just going to have to get over it and resolve to working incredibly hard at wherever you go to next. If you did do the work and you still got bad grades, by all means resit the year, but you might have to take into account that maybe A levels aren't what you're made for (which does not mean you're dumb).

We're not going to tell you BDEU, for instance, are good grades, because if you're coming on here for solace then obviously you know they aren't in your circumstance. (In a different circumstance, they might be.) Your only real route is to retake either the load of exams in A2, or retake the AS year. That's entirely up to you, but the point is, there is nothing we can tell you in terms of getting where you want to go except the tautological 'Work.' (This obviously doesn't apply if you're asking for alternative routes to your career, but most don't appear to be.)

Good luck in whatever you choose to do, and DEAR GOD READ THE THREADS THAT ARE IN EXISTENCE BEFORE YOUR PANIC DRIVES YOU TO MAKE ANOTHER ONE.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by paradoxicalme

blackmail the head of AQA with Photoshopped photos of him having sex with a pigeon to get him to make me more past papers,

:rofl:
Reply 2
People come on here upset and in a panic because they've got bad results, give them a break. Most aren't looking for comfort, just advice on what to do.
"I just got my AS results and I am SO DEPRESSED. I got UUX. Like, they even invented the X grade specially for me, that's how badly I did. I was 1 UMS off an E in Biology as well. But you see, I know in my heart that I can do better than this. I know that I am capable of getting AAAB, then bumping it up to A*A*A at A level and then doing Medicine at Oxbridge - maybe UCL as a last resort, though I doubt it would stretch me much.

So, if I start revising 4782648 hours a week from day 1 of A2 year, do every past paper in existence, blackmail the head of AQA with Photoshopped photos of him having sex with a pigeon to get him to make me more past papers, do them, go over the specifications with a magnifying glass, give up sleeping, eating and breathing (okay, I might breathe on the weekends, but it'll be a LUXURY), retake all my AS exams alongside my A2s while wearing my lucky socks and crossing my fingers, toes, eyes and appendix...do you reckon I will be able to get A*A*A? Because I reckon I can. Seriously."

STOP.

I have seen this thread SO many times over the past couple of weeks and I am getting fairly sick of it. None of us can tell you your potential, only you know that (and you might even be deluded about it) so yes, going from BDEU to AAA might make us sceptical. There is nothing we can tell you other than 'retake, and work harder next time'. If your sixth form or college has kicked you out, then we're sorry, but if you didn't do the work then it's your own fault and you're just going to have to get over it and resolve to working incredibly hard at wherever you go to next. If you did do the work and you still got bad grades, by all means resit the year, but you might have to take into account that maybe A levels aren't what you're made for (which does not mean you're dumb).

We're not going to tell you BDEU, for instance, are good grades, because if you're coming on here for solace then obviously you know they aren't in your circumstance. (In a different circumstance, they might be.) Your only real route is to retake either the load of exams in A2, or retake the AS year. That's entirely up to you, but the point is, there is nothing we can tell you in terms of getting where you want to go except the tautological 'Work.' (This obviously doesn't apply if you're asking for alternative routes to your career, but most don't appear to be.)

Good luck in whatever you choose to do, and DEAR GOD READ THE THREADS THAT ARE IN EXISTENCE BEFORE YOUR PANIC DRIVES YOU TO MAKE ANOTHER ONE.

That part won't work if you're on OCR! Make sure you don't make this mistake!
Original post by mddub39
People come on here upset and in a panic because they've got bad results, give them a break. Most aren't looking for comfort, just advice on what to do.

But that's the point. The exact same advice is on every thread like this.

I get that they're panicked, but false reassurances and regurgitated tropes are hardly going to help them.
Reply 5
Original post by mddub39

Does seem to be an peculiarly AS thing though (albeit with GCSEs due soon), you don't see any threads along the lines of 'OMG I've massively ballsed up the disso, will my parents ever love me again?!?!?!?!' or even A2 that much.
Completely agree, although it is fun to hear other people's stories sometimes
Original post by roh
Does seem to be an peculiarly AS thing though (albeit with GCSEs due soon), you don't see any threads along the lines of 'OMG I've massively ballsed up the disso, will my parents ever love me again?!?!?!?!' or even A2 that much.

It's really bad how much that made me laugh :biggrin:
Original post by IdeasForLife
That part won't work if you're on OCR! Make sure you don't make this mistake!

Literally cracking up as I type this.
Reply 9
To be fair it depends on your module grades too
if you module grades are

A E - C overall then you could easily bump it back up to an A

but if it's 55% 65% - C overall then you're gunna have a hard time getting a B
blackmail the head of AQA with Photoshopped photos of him having sex with a pigeon

parrot-love.jpg

Like this?
Original post by OllieGCSEs
How is this trolling? It's genuine annoyance, and I totally agree with their point. I ****ing hate all the people who ask for random people to tell them that they'll improve. So much talk, and little action.

I reckon guitardad only read the first part :tongue:

But yes, I agree. I get that people can want consolation, but we're not going to be able to tell you if you'll improve.
I get what you mean...but if you have gone through a situation like this you often do not know what to do anymore and just want some kind of advice. I think this often makes you a bit more relieved that there are people in similar situation or people who can understand you and give advice. In future if you see something similar just ignore it?
Reply 13
I agree. Nothing annoys me more than a platitude and that's the only sort of response those threads get.
Reply 14
You don't have to read their theads you know....
Original post by starlight4711
I get what you mean...but if you have gone through a situation like this you often do not know what to do anymore and just want some kind of advice. I think this often makes you a bit more relieved that there are people in similar situation or people who can understand you and give advice. In future if you see something similar just ignore it?

My point is more that maybe there should be a sticky targeted at this in the A-levels thread, so that there won't be tons of near-identical threads clogging up the tubes :smile:
Original post by Jkizer
You don't have to read their theads you know....

But then I feel bad, because the people who make these threads are stressed and upset and ignoring them's only going to make them panic more. My point is that the same thread's been made dozens of times, we don't need more clones filled with useless platitudes and regurgitated advice, it's not going to help anyone.
Reply 17
maybe all of the threads with people finishing AS exams worrying shows how much of a lack there is in colleges and sixth forms explaining things properly.
Reply 18
But then I feel bad, because the people who make these threads are stressed and upset and ignoring them's only going to make them panic more. My point is that the same thread's been made dozens of times, we don't need more clones filled with useless platitudes and regurgitated advice, it's not going to help anyone.

True true, someone with the initiative will google it or just search around on Tsr a bit.

Though the user may see their situation slightly unique (For whatever reason) and considering its a personal matter, will post it. Especially with the disappointing emotions of seeing friends and users on TSR gloss with good grades, it may make them seem like their problem needs a more 'personal advice'.

But i agree, its usually the ol generic 'Yes dude you need to resit' or 'Nahhh just retake, it aint too bad' sort of stuff. But you see the repetitive threads all around this forum (E.g. Peeps whining about 'low end' universities), main thing with these posts, is that its all shot at the users in this sub-forum in a matter of a week!

It will die out soon, as soon as the people realise there's 3 simple options which everybody will tell the. Resit the year, retake or new subjects.
Original post by OllieGCSEs
How is this trolling? It's genuine annoyance, and I totally agree with their point. I ****ing hate all the people who ask for random people to tell them that they'll improve. So much talk, and little action.

not this thread *facepalm*, the kinds of threads the OP is talking about!

Quick Reply

Latest