The Student Room Group

Scottish Thread for 2014 entry!

So this is a Scottish Thread! :biggrin:

Are you applying to Scottish Unis for 2014 entry? Why? Which ones? Why did you choose those ones and what do you like about them?

Worried about your application and want to compare it to other people applying to Scottish Unis?

Are you at a Scottish Uni? What do you think of it? Would you recommend it?

This thread could also be a place to discuss Scottish grades and subject choices, which are pretty different to the English system.

Please no listing A-Level results or huge comments about English Unis - there are a million other threads for that discussion. Keep it Scottish based in this one! :biggrin:
I'm at Edinburgh and it's clearly the best medical school in the world. I'd definitely recommend it. :tongue:
Reply 2
My son is hoping to study medicine at a Scottish University next year. His higher results this year were AAAAB (the 3 sciences maths and English). Unfortunately the B was in Chemistry. His schools timetabling schedule wouldn't allow for him to study 3 sciences.
As he was keen to do the 3 sciences he had no option but to self study Int 2 biology in 4th year followed by self study for the physics higher in 5th year. Should he mention this on his personal statement? Or will this not be taken into consideration by the universities?

Many thanks,
Reply 3
Original post by Gand
My son is hoping to study medicine at a Scottish University next year. His higher results this year were AAAAB (the 3 sciences maths and English). Unfortunately the B was in Chemistry. His schools timetabling schedule wouldn't allow for him to study 3 sciences.
As he was keen to do the 3 sciences he had no option but to self study Int 2 biology in 4th year followed by self study for the physics higher in 5th year. Should he mention this on his personal statement? Or will this not be taken into consideration by the universities?

Many thanks,

Hi

There's no reason not to mention it on his personal statement. I doubt it will do any harm and he might even get extra credit for being so committed and hardworking! However, if he's applying to a University which requires five A's or an A at Chemistry, I don't know if having self studied will make up for the B. I'm obviously not an expert so I'd recommend you try phoning up individual admissions departments and asking them.

I know that Dundee have an excellent "Widening Access" programme, designed to allow students who have encountered difficulties to explain why they haven't achieved the top grade or haven't taken the right subjects etc. You might want to contact them and ask if your son's circumstances would make him eligible to apply under this programme? Even if he isn't eligible to apply for the lower grade boundaries, he will be given the opportunity to explain that he self studied when he applies to Dundee, as they send every applicant a form asking them if there are any factors they ought to consider. You will need to check with them to find out whether or not self-studying qualifies as a factor though!

Hope this helps!
Nick
Reply 4
Thanks for the response Nick. I ll pass on your advice to my son.

regards, Glenn
Original post by Gand
Thanks for the response Nick. I ll pass on your advice to my son.

regards, Glenn

Hi Glenn, I just want to offer some advice as well!

It's definitely something he could mention in his personal statement, but I'd recommend trying to get it shoved into his reference instead. You only have a max. of 4000 characters for your personal statement, and playing the "academic adversity" card wrt self-studying might not be the best use of them (although I'd definitely back up using it as an opportunity to show relevant skills/qualities in his PS).

As for his grades, there's absolutely no need for him to start looking at widening access programmes. AAAAB grades more than meet the requirements at 4/5 of the Scottish medical schools (Glasgow being the exception) and plenty of the English ones, also. It's common for applicants to stress about not having perfect grades due to the "competition" of other students who do have perfect grades, but don't let this get to him. Hundreds of applicants make it into medicine with AAAAB every year - multiple of my year mates did, and in fact, most of them got more offers than I did (with my AAAAA at Higher). There's much more to a medicine application than just the grades, so there's plenty of opportunity for him to perform excellently elsewhere.
As for the Dundee "widening access" programme, this is intended for those who haven't had the opportunity to study science, with a small number of places reserved for Tay locals who've encountered adversity that's lead to an educational disadvantage.

Regarding universities who require AAAAA - some do make minor exceptions for "extenuating circumstances", but this is usually more pertinent issues like chronic illness or bereavement prior to exams. Having to self-study a subject unfortunately doesn't fall under this banner, in my experience.

In sum, though. He honestly doesn't have to sweat the AAAAB. I know it seems like a big deal right now, but I promise you, there are plenty of applicants making it into medical school with those grades; there's no reason he can't, too. And if, perchance, it does all go tits-up, then there are many other routes for him to consider.
Reply 6
Many thanks Hype en Ecosse. A very positive response which I am sure will lift my sons spirits considerably.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending