Turn on thread page Beta

Insurance - Lancaster or Hull? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    OK for an insurance choice.....Lancaster or Hull? Is Lancaster's reputation a lot, or just slightly better than Hull's in general?. This is for Psychology btw

ReputationRep:
    i think that in general lancasterhas the best reputation, but for psychology hull is particularly stong. in you're second year at hull if you're interested in clinical psychology you can apply to do the docotate course straight after you're degree whereas at other uni's you have to do at least 3 years work experience before going on to it. i only found that out after i'd put down my ucas choices though, but it's worth a thought if you are interested in clinical psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    OK for an insurance choice.....Lancaster or Hull? Is Lancaster's reputation a lot, or just slightly better than Hull's in general?. This is for Psychology btw
    I ahev the same problem, Hull or lancaster for law insurance. I think hull is up and coming, but lancaster is higher at the mo. Accom at lancaster was dicey when i looked round

ReputationRep:
    What does dicey mean? I just called it sh*te .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    Hull and Lancaster are pretty much par when it comes to overall uni reputation although according to other posters Hull is better for Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Hull and Lancaster are pretty much par when it comes to overall uni reputation
    I've never been to the universities in Hull or Lancaster, but I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement. Lancaster is generally rated just outside the top 20 in most league tables and has excellent research assessment results in many subjects. Hull isn't as highly rated overall and the city is pretty dull. I have no idea about reputation for Psychology though.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster - better overall reputation. And hull is, well, hull

(Original post by Maddock)
    Lancaster - better overall reputation. And hull is, well, hull
    as above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    I've never been to the universities in Hull or Lancaster, but I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement. Lancaster is generally rated just outside the top 20 in most league tables and has excellent research assessment results in many subjects. Hull isn't as highly rated overall and the city is pretty dull. I have no idea about reputation for Psychology though.
    I just checked the latest *league tables* (ahem!) and Hull was like equal 37 with Newcastle and Lancaster was 36 overall.

ReputationRep:
    Have either of Maddock or Rah ever been to Hull?

The university is coming on in leaps and bounds and although the town was bombed to bits by the Luftwaffe the town is gradually improving after a load of mad 60's and 70's designers and architects made a mess of it.

The uni has a good reputation that is getting better and the campus is nice despite being a 1960's build.

We have "the deep" the world only submarium (whatever one of those is) and both the Rugby and Football teams are going great guns.

If you go out towards the West of the city you could easily be in any part of Surrey or Essex.

Infact...once you are over the fact that you are in Hull its not so bad at all.

A friend of mine ended up coming to Hull after bombing out on her first choice. She is now in her third year and says that if she knew what she knew now she may have even made it first choice.

Oh, and because of our location many people don't want to come here so it means you can often get a good offer and entry requirements are generally lower then some of the other places of a similair standard.

Once you are over the fact that you are "in Hull" you may realise that its actually not such a bad place, certainly no worse than Manchester or Liverpool in terms of the overall state of affairs.

ReputationRep:
    I just checked the latest *league tables* (ahem!) and Hull was like equal 37 with Newcastle and Lancaster was 36 overall.
    Which league tables did you check? I haven't seen Lancaster that low in any of them. (Excluding the Employment one included below!)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education.../unibigpic.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    Which league tables did you check? I haven't seen Lancaster that low in any of them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education.../unibigpic.jpg
    Neither have I.
    The Times: Lancester 21, Hull 50
    The Guardian: Lancaster 18, Hull 39

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise that table had all of them in... yep, looks to me to like Lancater beats Hull. Not that I'm saying that Hull is bad, but overall, Lancaster beats it.

ReputationRep:
    Code:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2873276999&category=52405

ReputationRep:
    Deary me, I've lived near Hull all my life, and it's a rubbish "city", with a reasonable uni! Random facts: it has the largest council estate in Europe, worst schools in the country, highest teenage pregnancy rate in the country... A-mayzing. I think I'll toodle off to York.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaron)
    Deary me, I've lived near Hull all my life, and it's a rubbish "city", with a reasonable uni! Random facts: it has the largest council estate in Europe, worst schools in the country, highest teenage pregnancy rate in the country... A-mayzing. I think I'll toodle off to York.
    Two of those facts are wrong, we are no longer bottom of the education secondary schools league table and I think we have improved on the teenage pregnancy front too!

ReputationRep:
    Have either of Maddock or Rah ever been to Hull?

The university is coming on in leaps and bounds and although the town was bombed to bits by the Luftwaffe the town is gradually improving after a load of mad 60's and 70's designers and architects made a mess of it.

The uni has a good reputation that is getting better and the campus is nice despite being a 1960's build.

We have "the deep" the world only submarium (whatever one of those is) and both the Rugby and Football teams are going great guns.

If you go out towards the West of the city you could easily be in any part of Surrey or Essex.

Infact...once you are over the fact that you are in Hull its not so bad at all.

A friend of mine ended up coming to Hull after bombing out on her first choice. She is now in her third year and says that if she knew what she knew now she may have even made it first choice.

Oh, and because of our location many people don't want to come here so it means you can often get a good offer and entry requirements are generally lower then some of the other places of a similair standard.

Once you are over the fact that you are "in Hull" you may realise that its actually not such a bad place, certainly no worse than Manchester or Liverpool in terms of the overall state of affairs.

ignore rah, hasnt got a clue what shes/he on about,thinks that st anns and meadows in nottingham the poshest area

hull is getting 1.5 billion pounds spent on its city centre, the number of applications of hull is increasing each year

hull got a growing club scene as well

ReputationRep:
    oh and for rah and all the othe people saying hulls got terrible schools heres some lg tables

for primary schools
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3289589.stm

look nottingham is worse than hull in primary schools

for secondary hulls worse but nottinghams 3rd worse,can you see rah,nottinghams got worse secondary schools results than hackney,barnsley,bradford etc
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3398079.stm

whats your commnets now???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyreid)
    oh and for rah and all the othe people saying hulls got terrible schools heres some lg tables

for primary schools
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3289589.stm

look nottingham is worse than hull in primary schools

for secondary hulls worse but nottinghams 3rd worse,can you see rah,nottinghams got worse secondary schools results than hackney,barnsley,bradford etc
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3398079.stm

whats your commnets now???
    :rolleyes:

I thought this thread was supposed to be comparing Hull and Lancaster, not Hull and Nottingham!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    :rolleyes:

I thought this thread was supposed to be comparing Hull and Lancaster, not Hull and Nottingham!

but i was exposing the fact that rah insults hull,and disses there schools yet ironically nottingham got just as bad schools and in primary schools case,worse schools yet insults hull.

hulls not a bad place,got pretty low crime rate and heard it has some good clubs

end of

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.