The Student Room Group

Is it legal to drink in college bars if you're under 18?

Hi, I'm a fresher this year, and annoyingly for me my birthday is quite late in the year and so I'm still technically seventeen when I enter Cambridge. I just wanted to double check whether it's legal to drink in college bars if you're under 18, or legal to drink if there's alcohol in JCR parties etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, and the Undergraduate Student Cards that many bars use as a payment system or as ID have your date of birth on them.
Reply 2
Sadly, no, although they probably wouldn't check, it's not worth the risk
Hi, I'm pretty sure I shouldnt be asking this here, but I'm also going to be 17 if I were to go to Cambridge, and I've seen many colleges have age requirements.
For example, do you guys know if Kings College Cam. admits under 18s? It says on the website:

"Most of our students are at least 18 years old when they begin their first term of study at King's. We usually ask candidates who would at that stage be younger than 18 to apply for deferred entry. We are always happy to discuss plans for a gap year with potential students. Applicants who would be 21 or over when they start the course need to apply as a mature student."

Which is very confusing :s-smilie: Will they make me apply for deferred entry?
If you guys are studying there, do you know if some people under 18 are studying there too?

Thanks, and sorry I'm butting in to your legal drinking threat :P
Original post by dancelayneedance
Hi, I'm pretty sure I shouldnt be asking this here, but I'm also going to be 17 if I were to go to Cambridge, and I've seen many colleges have age requirements.
For example, do you guys know if Kings College Cam. admits under 18s? It says on the website:

"Most of our students are at least 18 years old when they begin their first term of study at King's. We usually ask candidates who would at that stage be younger than 18 to apply for deferred entry. We are always happy to discuss plans for a gap year with potential students. Applicants who would be 21 or over when they start the course need to apply as a mature student."

If you guys are studying there, do you know if some people under 18 are studying there too?

No idea if they'd make you apply for deferred entry, but there are a couple of people I know at my college (Pembroke) who started at 17, so it's not entirely unheard of. Best ring the college to clarify.
Original post by Theflyingbarney
No idea if they'd make you apply for deferred entry, but there are a couple of people I know at my college (Pembroke) who started at 17, so it's not entirely unheard of. Best ring the college to clarify.

Are they studying medicine?
Seeing as Pembroke states "we encourage those who are very young (i.e. would be coming up to Pembroke under the age of 18) to defer." and you said they're studying, you made me more optimistic :P

I emailed them and waiting for a reply, but Im really panicking and was hoping you guys could calm me down :tongue:
How are people starting Uni at 17? Surely you'd be in the school year after, if your birthday is in September or later, so you'd be at least 18 when you start? I didn't think universities admitted under 18's? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just surprised! :smile:
Original post by FilmNerd1989
How are people starting Uni at 17? Surely you'd be in the school year after, if your birthday is in September or later, so you'd be at least 18 when you start? I didn't think universities admitted under 18's? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just surprised! :smile:

I will be nearly 18 but still 17, my birthday is 1st December '96.
I skipped a year, and now it's just making me really angry- yes, unfortunately, most unis in the UK want you to be over 18 (ucl barts imperial etc.) However, in Scotland theres no age requirement, and apparently there isn't one in cambridge (on the official uni site). However, when you look at the colleges and finally end up choosing your dream one, the stupid requirement shows up unexpectedly :angry:
(edited 10 years ago)
I will be nearly 18 but still 17, my birthday is 1st December '96.
I skipped a year, and now it's just making me really angry- yes, unfortunately, most unis in the UK want you to be over 18 (ucl barts imperial etc.) However, in Scotland theres no age requirement, and apparently there isn't one in cambridge (on the official uni site). However, when you look at the colleges and finally end up choosing your dream one, the stupid requirement shows up unexpectedly :angry:

Ahhhh I see - that's a bugger :/
Reply 9
Original post by FilmNerd1989

Basically for some reason my year group happened to calculate birthdays from January to December. So you get people like me who are born in the winter/late autumn. So technically I started primary school at the age of four. Weird, yes. Not exactly the best policy.
Reply 10

Oh, don't worry about butting in, it's a valid question :smile: Basically I think the rule is that if you skipped a year and that's the reason why you're going to be 17 on entry, then yes you need to defer a year. But for me, I never skipped a year - it's just that my school has a weird system of birthdays counted from January to December, and so a small proportion of students end up being 17 on entry. So if you're 17 because you're one of those extreme "summer babies" that somehow ended up entering school at the age of four, then you should be allowed into those unis without needing to defer.

Does that answer you question?
Reply 11
Original post by Chung.Carrot
Hi, I'm a fresher this year, and annoyingly for me my birthday is quite late in the year and so I'm still technically seventeen when I enter Cambridge. I just wanted to double check whether it's legal to drink in college bars if you're under 18, or legal to drink if there's alcohol in JCR parties etc.

There is no way you'd ever be IDed in college!! It would probably been a issue if you are going out to clubs, but it won't hold you back from drinking at all in college.
Hey I skipped a year and was seventeen upon entry to Downing. It was absolutely no issue except my parents needed to send in a note basically making the college my guardian for a few months ( though that could have been a visa requirement thing, not sure). The was another under 18 girl in my year (also foreign) and two boys with late birthdays (both early oct). It was no problem for any of us except they did have our pictures hanging behind the wall in the bar until we were old enough.
Reply 13
Hi, not sure if I should post here but this seemed like the best place so... yeah. :smile: Basically I'm interested in applying to Cambridge for 2014 entry but I have the same problem as the previous posters, except I wouldn't turn 18 until May of the Easter term 2015 (i.e. near the end of the academic year) because I skipped a year... I'm not interested so much in the issues about drinking and partying, but would that affect my chances of being offered a place, and would they prefer me to defer my entry? Thanks in advance. :smile:

P.S. Not sure if it's important but I'm also an international applicant.
(edited 10 years ago)
The only people who I know that are younger in Cambridge because they skipped a year are all foreign so I don't think it'll matter too much. I think they just assume that our countries do age cut offs differently. Don't mention skipping a year and they'll probably just ignore it.
Reply 15

At least one of my good friends at King's was under 18 when he started - he turned 18 about a month into his first term.
Are they studying medicine?
Seeing as Pembroke states "we encourage those who are very young (i.e. would be coming up to Pembroke under the age of 18) to defer." and you said they're studying, you made me more optimistic :P

I emailed them and waiting for a reply, but Im really panicking and was hoping you guys could calm me down :tongue:

The one person I know that was definitely under 18 in freshers week is a lawyer like me, although I think there are a few others too - not sure about any of the medics! I'm sure they shouldn't have too much of a problem...
Oh, don't worry about butting in, it's a valid question :smile: Basically I think the rule is that if you skipped a year and that's the reason why you're going to be 17 on entry, then yes you need to defer a year. But for me, I never skipped a year - it's just that my school has a weird system of birthdays counted from January to December, and so a small proportion of students end up being 17 on entry. So if you're 17 because you're one of those extreme "summer babies" that somehow ended up entering school at the age of four, then you should be allowed into those unis without needing to defer.

Does that answer you question?

Yes it did, thanks a bunch.
Yep, i never skipped a year, my school separated the birthdays too, and my parents just decided I should go with the higher age group kids, and well. now I'm the youngest, and not going to be 18.

I emailed the uni, I basically got a copy-pasted answer (the one i pasted earlier), saying I need to apply for deferred, so I replied again, asking the same thing pretty much (I'm one of a hell pain in the ass haha :tongue:)

Anyways, since I see that some of you guys are facing the same dilemmas (the age that is, I really don't care about drinking or not :tongue: ) I will update you what they'll tell me :smile:
Reply 18

Of course not. Cambridge colleges bars aren't above the law mate.
Reply 19
Original post by veryforeign
Hey I skipped a year and was seventeen upon entry to Downing. It was absolutely no issue except my parents needed to send in a note basically making the college my guardian for a few months ( though that could have been a visa requirement thing, not sure). The was another under 18 girl in my year (also foreign) and two boys with late birthdays (both early oct). It was no problem for any of us except they did have our pictures hanging behind the wall in the bar until we were old enough.

Haha I'll just get soft drinks or something instead then. It's not like I'm one of those people who like drinking a lot anyway. I'll keep a lookout for my picture, if it turns up :smile: I don't think I needed to send in a guardian form for my college - maybe it is a visa thing.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending