The Student Room Group

Chemistry HL options

Hello :smile: I'm planning to take dentistry or medicine course in the future.
In my school, my chemistry teacher only has the qualifications to teach Option C and Option E.
I have absolutely no interest in those options at all.
I was wondering, since I might take dentistry or medicine course, should I take Option B and option D instead? If I do so, I'll have to self study..which will be difficult.
& also, does it matter what options I take?
Reply 1
Original post by jaxineeeeee
Hello :smile: I'm planning to take dentistry or medicine course in the future.
In my school, my chemistry teacher only has the qualifications to teach Option C and Option E.
I have absolutely no interest in those options at all.
I was wondering, since I might take dentistry or medicine course, should I take Option B and option D instead? If I do so, I'll have to self study..which will be difficult.
& also, does it matter what options I take?

Well they can't stop you answering a different section in the exam but I wouldn't recommend it.

You may not cover everything yourself, or you may not go into enough depth - the syllabus doesn't really have that much information. I was tempted to teach myself the biochemistry option as I covered some in biology but after investigating it I'm glad I didn't, I never would have got my 6.

You also have to bear in mind that you will probably still have to go to the lessons, so you'll be learning C and E anyway.

Finally it won't give you an advantage because you will be taught all this while studying med/dent because not everyone will have covered it :smile:

Obviously its your choice but from my experience I definitely wouldn't suggest it!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
And I say that as someone who got two medicine offers and is starting med school in september. (Sorry, phone wouldn't let me edit)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending