Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm new here.
    Let me just get right down to it, I'm about 5'8, male and around 14 stone.
    I know this is rather fat and it's getting me down and I want to do something about it!

The problem being, I have literally no spare cash to join a gym and so I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what exercises to do, what to eat ect on how to lose a ton of weight relatively quickly?

Being this big is taking it's toll on me, so I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHanss)
    Run fatty.
    It'd of been funnier if you said "put down the fork"

EDIT: How in the world do I get negged for pointing out he should have used a funnier joke?

ReputationRep:
    Look into a low carb/keto diet. Definitely the best diet for losing fat - and you won't be hungry on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by efx)
    Look into a low carb/keto diet. Definitely the best diet for losing fat - and you won't be hungry on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Absolutely no proof that keto is any better than normal dieting.

ReputationRep:
    I've gone from almost 13 stone to almost 12 stone (I'm 6'2") in the last 6 weeks doing the Insanity workout. You can torrent it for free.

ReputationRep:
    Regulate your portion sizes better, cut down hugely on fats and carbs, and if you're going to eat carbs (which of course you need to do to some extent) prioritise high-fibre ones.
    As for exercise, I'm doing the couchto5k with my mum. Admittedly I was already losing weight before I started, but I've lost just under 3 stone in 6 months, and almost a stone of that is since I started running 6 weeks ago.

The main thing is to have a positive attitude, and let yourself have the odd treat.

ReputationRep:
    Keto is stupid, brb not having any carbs to fuel workout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_p)
    Regulate your portion sizes better, cut down hugely on fats and carbs, and if you're going to eat carbs (which of course you need to do to some extent) prioritise high-fibre ones.
    As for exercise, I'm doing the couchto5k with my mum. Admittedly I was already losing weight before I started, but I've lost just under 3 stone in 6 months, and almost a stone of that is since I started running 6 weeks ago.

The main thing is to have a positive attitude, and let yourself have the odd treat.
    Should have just said no carbs... Let me guess, no carbs after 6 either.

OP, eat less. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    1.go on a low carb diet
    2.do cardio exercises-the best exercise to lose weight is SKIPPING-you have no idea how many calories you could lose!plus a skpping rope is really cheap!
    3.don't eat after 6 o'clock-after 6 pm you body gets into the storage mode and everything you eat turns into fat
    4.get plenty of sleep (8-10 hours)-it would be adviced for you to go to sleep at 10 pm,you will lose lots of calories during sleep (that doesn't mean you have to sleep in the afternoon instead of exercising)
    5.drink 2l of water-make sure you don't drink 30 min before and after meals
    6.drink ginger tea/green tea -they speed up your metabolism,so you will burn fat faster (make sure you don't drink more than one mug a day)
    7.you can eat as much pinapple as you want,it has zero calories!
    8.make sure you DO NOT starve yourself,you will mess up your metabolism
    9.in case you are hungry at night try to eat something really light. try drinking a mug of skimmed milk,or eat cucumber
    i hope this helps,good luck!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flavia96)
    1.go on a low carb diet
    2.do cardio exercises-the best exercise to lose weight is SKIPPING-you have no idea how many calories you could lose!plus a skpping rope is really cheap!
    3.don't eat after 6 o'clock-after 6 pm you body gets into the storage mode and everything you eat turns into fat
    4.get plenty of sleep (8-10 hours)-it would be adviced for you to go to sleep at 10 pm,you will lose lots of calories during sleep (that doesn't mean you have to sleep in the afternoon instead of exercising)
    6.drink ginger tea/green tea -they speed up your metabolism,so you will burn fat faster (make sure you don't drink more than one mug a day)
    9.in case you are hungry at night try to eat something really light. try drinking a mug of skimmed milk,or eat cucumber
    Half of this is bull****... no offence to the person that wrote it.

OP do not go on a low-carb diet. It's stupid and you'll end up starving and binging. Just cut out crap carbs (sugary stuff). Stick to things like rye bread, potatoes/sweet potatoes, cous cous, brown rice. In other words, complex carbs. Your body needs carbs.

The no eating after 6 pm is just ridiculous. Spread your meals out evenly otherwise you'll get starving and end up binging.

Don't drink 30 mins before and after meals?! What is this?! :lolwut:

Pineapple does NOT have 0 calories.. :facepalm2: lmao.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really agree with what people are saying on this thread. If you want to keep the weight off, eat a diet high in protein, with lots of fruits and vegetables and eat whole grain foods, so no white bread pasta or rice. White refined grains really do contribute to weight gain. You dont have to eat a low carb diet though. just eat the good carbs. Drink loadsss of water and try to avoid fizzy drinks etc. I'm a huge green tea drinker, so you could try that? It really keeps you full and speeds up your metabolism. I'd say just don't put all your energy on eating perfectly; if you try to follow this most of the time and just make healthy choices the weight should come off pretty easily. I hope this helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
    Half of this is bull****... no offence to the person that wrote it.

OP do not go on a low-carb diet. It's stupid and you'll end up starving and binging. Just cut out crap carbs (sugary stuff). Stick to things like rye bread, potatoes/sweet potatoes, cous cous, brown rice. In other words, complex carbs. Your body needs carbs.

The no eating after 6 pm is just ridiculous. Spread your meals out evenly otherwise you'll get starving and end up binging.

Don't drink 30 mins before and after meals?! What is this?! :lolwut:

Pineapple does NOT have 0 calories.. :facepalm2: lmao.
    THANK YOU. Gosh, finally someone with some sense!! I agree 100% with all of this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1.go on a low carb diet
    Pineapple has no calories? Don't eat after 6pm? :lolwut:

You cant outrun a bad diet. Cardio is not the main or best weapon to lose weight. A calorie deficit is best achieved through diet.

Brb just had BBQ steak and chips at 10.20pm, I'm gonna turn fat

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1.go on a low carb diet
    Myth: Eating carbohydrates at night will make you fat

A. Reality: This fallacy seems to be derived from the presumption that carbs elicit an insulin response (which is a storage hormone), and since we’re generally sedentary at night (or sleeping) then the carbs you eat are subject to being stored as fat. For starters, your body metabolizes carbohydrates (and any other nutrient for that matter) the same way no matter what time of day it is.

Just because its 7PM and you eat some carbs doesn’t mean that some imaginary, nocturnal glycolytic pathway randomly activates and tells your body to store all carbs as fat tissue. Granted, there are certain biorhythms in regards to hormone secretion, it’s yet to be elucidated in controlled studies that eating later at night results in worse body composition.

In fact, a year-long study of rhesus monkeys (which are genetically close to humans) showed that “…monkeys who ate most of their food at night were no more likely to gain weight than monkeys who rarely ate at night.” (2)

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...nsense-8-myths

Also pineapples contain calories, I haven't ever read such nonsense.

In fact everything you post bar number 8 is completely not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Pineapple has no calories? Don't eat after 6pm? :lolwut:

You cant outrun a bad diet. Cardio is not the main or best weapon to lose weight. A calorie deficit is best achieved through diet.

Brb just had BBQ steak and chips at 10.20pm, I'm gonna turn fat

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :lol: you'll wake up obese, just watch.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, you want to read the stickies. Especially the one that says "for the girls" if you're just starting out.

Also, you don't need a gym to lose fat. There are so many exercises you can do outside the gym.

In my experience, I've been able to lose over 50lbs in the last two years and I've never stepped foot in a gym. But that's just me. There are so many people out there who thrive in the gym but can't lose weight for **** at home. If you have the dedication then you can easily lose weight at home.
    I'll be speaking a lot about my experience just to give you an example of how losing weight at home can be successful. I've pretty much been my own case study each time I've lost weight, which is three times in the last two years. I'm currently on my fourth weight loss journey as I've gained about 10lbs and what to lose 20. So, anyway, don't take my experience all too seriously because it really is just me experimenting on myself when it comes to losing weight. At the end of the day I'm just calorie counting like most people who are on the fat loss boat, and most people will tell you do the same. Some will push you to try specific methods but all that matter for weight loss is that you're on a calorie deficit.

Exercise:
    - Walking
    Youtube 'Leslie Sansone', the woman is a godsend.
    - Sprinting/jogging
    i.e.C25K/HIIT
    - Cycling
    - Aerobics
    - Aerobics
    - "Bodysculpting"
    I went through a Tiffany Rothe phase over two years ago (Youtuber) and when I asked her what kind of a work out her stuff was she considered it "body sculpting" but my stubborn mind still considers some of her videos to be aerobics. Although her stuff is directed to women, still look at it. It might help.
    - Tae Bo
    A lot of Billy Blanks' videos are up onYoutube
    - Hula hooping with a weighted hula hoop
    - Rollerskating
    - Tabata/HIIT
    - Skipping
    With a skipping rope that is, not the frolicking kind of skipping.. :lol:
    - Pilates
    -Yoga
    - Calisthenics
    There are so many more you can do but these are the ones off the top of my head which I have done in the past --I go through a lot of phases.

Food:
    To lose weight you want to be on a calorie deficit. There are tons of diet plans out there and tons of contradicting research to back them up (e.g. some say low carb good, others say low carb bad) but ultimately the most successful one will be the one that works for you.
    I can't give you a list of all the diet plans like I gave a list of the exercises because there are just too many. What I am going to say is the main thing you need to do is count calories. Stay away from diet plans you don't like the sound of i.e. the ones that may seem too extreme. Although they may promise amazing results,there's no point in going near them if you know that you won't stick to them.

Now, about the specific foods you should eat, all you need for weight loss is pretty much a clean diet. As long as you're sticking to your calories (and macros if you count them) then it doesn't matter if you have the odd binge meal/day, the important thing is that you bounce back and continue with your calories.
    In my experience, after experimenting with diets like paleo, keto and dukan (all of which lasted about 1-3 days for me ) I realised just how much I need carbs -- I'm a fatty at heart and I need my carbs or else I'll go ****ing mental! After some research I landed on 'IIFYM' and started following this because it was so flexible and I could still eat what I wanted to. And "what I wanted to" essentially means a clean diet because the clean diet has become such an important part of my lifestyle that I actually feel lost if I don't eat properly and give my body the sort of foods can work with.

Another thing I feel I should mention is the type of people who don't calorie count and still get good results. I admire them. I'd give anything to be able to lose weight without counting calories but I'm just too much of a control freak when it comes to my diet because I like reliable results that can be maintained and more importantly. I don't know how they do it, the ones I know say that all they did was just eat healthier foods and that was that but I'm too cynical and obsessed with calories to buy it. Of course, you could always go with this method but imo, if you do want reliable results then calorie count.

Howto lose a ton of weight relatively quickly

Don't. If you want to do this then follow a fad diet, just know you'll most probably end up gaining all the weight back.

One of the biggest reasons I'd advise against it is because weight is made up of so many things,with the most prominent being muscle, fat, water and bones. If you lose "a tone of weight relatively quickly" you won't know what you'll be losing and that is essentially the danger init.

1-3lbs (depending on exactly how big you are) is the most you want to lose per week. I often read "less you lose, the more maintainable the weight loss". Make what you want of it,but from my perspective as a pretty damn impatient person I don't like it which is why in my current experiment I'm aiming for a 2lb loss per week.

My own, personal fear about losing weight in this way is that I'll lose a ton of muscle and as a girl whose goal is to be skinnyfat (without too much emphasis on "fat"),I'm terrified I'll lose a lot of muscle which is why I'm keeping myself on the 2lb limit. My diet and workout plans for the next 20lbs I'll be losing are planned in a way where I hopefully will not lose too much muscle and my workouts are planned in a way where I hope to gain some.

I don't know what else to write about this one because all I can say is it's not a good idea.

You can do it without the gym. It'll be as difficult as you make it so make it easy. All you have to do is change the way you think about food and alter your life style a little and you body will do the rest. If you want it enough and you're willing to put the work in then you'll get the results you want. I think it's a little harder for people who don't go to the gym because we're not exactly paying for anything -- we are our motivation. One thing that really helps to do it at home is genuinely enjoy it. Think of it as a lifestyle and not just a phase. Don't think of it in terms of "one more stone to lose and then I'm freeeeeeeeeee :woo:", think of as "one more stone to lose and then I have a body that deserves good fuel and deserves exercise so it can develop well in order to run more efficiently :woo:".

ReputationRep:
    That's why scales that measure body composition are good, mine measures body fat, visceral fat, and skeletal muscle.
    It means that I can see what I'm losing and gaining, instead of just weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1.go on a low carb diet
    Holy mother of broscience... Please. Don't give advice ever again.

(Original post by Radiohead_1)
    Don't really agree with what people are saying on this thread. If you want to keep the weight off, eat a diet high in protein, with lots of fruits and vegetables and eat whole grain foods, so no white bread pasta or rice. White refined grains really do contribute to weight gain. You dont have to eat a low carb diet though. just eat the good carbs. Drink loadsss of water and try to avoid fizzy drinks etc. I'm a huge green tea drinker, so you could try that? It really keeps you full and speeds up your metabolism. I'd say just don't put all your energy on eating perfectly; if you try to follow this most of the time and just make healthy choices the weight should come off pretty easily. I hope this helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because your advice is so much better... No such thing as good carbs for a start. A carb is a carb, either sugar or starch...

All OP needs to do is eat less. Stop making losing weight so complicated where you need to buy 'special foods' just for the sake of it...

ReputationRep:
    Buy some t3, that'll blast fat off you in weeks.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    1200 cals a day

90 minute brisk walk 5 times a week

you're welcome

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.