The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Accommodation Swapping at York University

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,

I have this room - Vanbrugh Standard with breakfast on weekdays:

http://www.york.ac.uk/colleges/vanbrugh/accommodation/fairfax-house/

Cost would be £108.99 a week, so 40 week let equals £4359.60 overall.

I would really like to swap for an ensuite room in Vanbrugh, James or Alcuin but would be interested in ANY ensuite room on the entire campus.

Please pm me ASAP :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 21
Hi all,

Following on from the first posting where we started this discussion, we're getting a bit desperate and are willing to offer a bounty of £200 to anyone who can complete a swap from a self-catered, en-suite, 40-week let in Alcuin. We would consider catered, or possibly Derwent, but self-catered is what we really want.

To repeat from the original post:

My daughter has an upgraded standard room in Halifax, which is not catered and not en-suite and on a 40 week lease. The cost (according to
http://www.york.ac.uk/about/departme...ices-payments/) is £117.11 per week, or £4684.40 for the 40 weeks.

She would like to trade for a 40-week lease in Alcuin (or possibly Derwent), and will consider anything -- en-suite or not, catered or not.

EDIT -- my daughter has now been offered a swap in Derwent, Block H (not en-suite, not catered, 40 weeks, standard room)-- it's not been confirmed by York Accommodation yet, but assuming it comes off (I'll update this post when it is), we're offering that for a swap because we're still looking for Alcuin, ideally en-suite and self-catered, and still happy to offer an inducement of £200 for it. Derwent really isn't much better for her than Halifax, but it's no worse and if she can do someone else a favour she's happy to do it. The Derwent accommodation is cheaper than Halifax (£117.11 p/w, £4684.40 p/y), at £99.05 p/w, £3962 p/y, which I believe is the cheapest single on-campus accommodation at York Uni.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by senz72
I got Eden's Court. :/

I'm really worried. :frown:

Why are you worried? :frown:
Original post by senz72
I've heard bad things.

It's not that bad. There are a lot of nursing students there though.
Original post by senz72
I know, I don't really mind that but I've heard it's completely anti-social.

Ummm, not really any less than other places. It is a bit away from the rest of Derwent but you'll be absolutely fine!

I thought you were going to Manchester?
Original post by senz72
Okay thanks!

It didn't work out (cocked up my exams!)

Awww I'm sorry! You'll love York though (even if I am biased. :tongue:)
Original post by senz72
It's fine, I consider it a blessing in disguise.

I'm just worried about making friends at university.

Maybe it is. :h:

I was always most scared about it - mainly because I'm Welsh and so I thought people would make fun of me a lot. But when you get there everyone is so friendly. Take biscuits and people will love you forever. :tongue: And generally you're put in accommodation with someone else who is doing the same course as you so there will be at least one person you know when you go to your first few lectures.
Original post by senz72
Let's hope so. :smile:
And also maybe the peace and quiet may benefit me.

Maybe. I used to hate the noise at times. If you're introverted then it probably is better for you.
Original post by senz72
I am introverted but I do want to come out of my 'shell!'

I get you. It will happen naturally most probably. I was so quiet for the first few weeks and now everyone on my course at least knows of me. :colondollar: I'm just weird though. You'll find your group pretty quickly if you put yourself out there a bit and engage in conversations.
Original post by senz72
Will try!

Also when you move out to private accomodation, is it usually with your flatmates or your coursemates?

I moved in with people from my flat and I know others who have done that too, although some people go with course mates instead. :h:
Original post by senz72
Cool. That's provided they'd want to stay.

Would you recommend the bus pass for £200?

It all depends on how much you will go into the city. I didn't get one because I knew I wouldn't really go in much. I also found it was much more economical to cycle places too.
Reply 31
Original post by senz72

Original post by Holby_fanatic

Hi folks, please excuse my butting in here -- but could you please start a different thread, as you're quite off-topic here?

Thanks!
Original post by medicsmum
Hi folks, please excuse my butting in here -- but could you please start a different thread, as you're quite off-topic here?

Thanks!

I apologise for derailing your thread. :h:
Reply 33
I apologise for derailing your thread. :h:

Thanks, no problem -- it's easily done!
Reply 34
I will buy any hall spot . IF ANYONE DOES NOT WANT THERE HALL SPOT PLEASE CONTACT ME, I am rather desperate to be in halls

EDIT: WILL GIVE YOU £100 BONUS
Reply 35
You can't swap before you get there. Sorry guys!

Well, guess what. After following the advice from the York Accommodation Facebook page, and having found someone else willing to swap, and after both parties independently contacting YA, we get the standard response that you can't be considered for a swap until you've been there two weeks.

They say it's so they can talk to you and "make sure it's what you want."

Strange how they encourage you to visit the campus, compare the colleges, see the accommodation, make your choices carefully and then apply -- all when they don't believe you could possibly know what you want until you've been there two weeks.

I'm not accepting that and am complaining directly in the strongest possible terms. Just because it "is" doesn't mean it should be.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Well, here's the latest on this thread. York accommodation has agreed to swap us, with the usual proviso that both participants contact them independently and agree to the swap. So, for those who said it isn't possible, it is!

However, with all the delays, the other participant in the swap has decided to back out. So, for those who said it isn't possible, perhaps you were right!

In any case, the bottom line is that if two willing participants push York Accommodation on this, the swap WILL be approved, without any of this nonsense about having to wait to swap accommodation two weeks after arrival.

So, does anyone want to swap a room in Alcuin or Derwent for an upgraded standard room in Halifax?

If you've got a 40-week en-suite self-catered room, we're offering a £200 incentive for the swap. Let us know!

Thanks
Reply 37
Hello,

Firstly I don't know your daughters personal situation.
But I have just been reading this thread and although it is upsetting/anxiety provoking to find out that you haven't got the accommodation you want - I think it would be far more beneficial to support your daughter in making her feel comfortable about what she's been given and telling her to give it a go for those first 2 weeks.

I know as a mother you are obviously protective of your daughter, and are willing to do anything to help her - but she is now an adult, and is off to start living her adult life. At least she has accommodation! Spending hours and hours on the phone to York University complaining and writing comments about YU on the forum is not going to make her feel positive about the situation.

Now you say this move is due to a medical reason - I'm not doubting that - however YU does offer early application for those with medical needs/additional requirements (http://www.york.ac.uk/about/departments/support-and-admin/accommodation/new-students/additional-requirements/) - and so if you did not qualify for this service, I'm going to take a guess that your daughter will be perfectly fine with non-ensuite accommodation :smile:

I believe everything happens for a reason, and I hope that your daughter's time at university is full of happy memories :smile: Everything will be fine in the end :smile:
ccccc
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
I have derwent upgraded standard self catered - and would prefer halifax, goodricke or langwith standard self-catered - message me !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending