The Student Room Group

Could I get into A*AA/AAA courses with A*A*B?

I got A*A*B in History, Government & Politics and English Literature respectively, and was considering Psychology and Linguistics (Oxford), Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience (Notts) or Psychology. However, many request AAA or A*AA, and I was wondering if my results would be alright, despite my B in English Lit?

EDIT: To clarify, I am planning to apply to go to university in 2014 after having got my A2s, due to my inital AS results not being what I wanted
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
You could phone up but they are well within their rights to say no as you have not met the offer regardless of the fact you have 2 A*'s, sorry.
Surely they would have wanted you to have taken psychology as an A-Level?
Original post by martynsteel

Believe it or not, it's not a requirement for most...
Reply 4
Why don't you email some admissions tutors?
Reply 5
No because you are applying to Cambridge and UCL and your academic performance could be considered relatively poor
AAB would be a good place to apply to but no higher

Original post by martynsteel

Psychology is not a good subject
Reply 6
Original post by BOdy Odour
No because you are applying to Cambridge and UCL and your academic performance could be considered relatively poor

Psychology is not a good subject

Psychology is what the OP is applying for, thats why he asked.
Reply 7
Email and see what they think. From my view it would ok for AAA, as 2 A*'s is very impressive for any subject.

But for Psychology , don't they ask for one Science subject which would rule you out ?
Original post by BOdy Odour

I mentioned Oxford and Nottingham, not Cambridge and UCL...?
Original post by Jkizer
Email and see what they think. From my view it would ok for AAA, as 2 A*'s is very impressive for any subject.

But for Psychology , don't they ask for one Science subject which would rule you out ?

Oxford said they'd prefer one Science, but it isn't 100% needed, and Nottingham increase their offer from AAB to AAA if you don't have a Science.

The others I've looked at don't need you to have done a Science A level.

EDIT: Thank you for calling my results impressive, also. :P
Reply 10
I would call up admissions, and see what they want from you. Some schools might be impressed by your personal statement but I would err on the side of caution, especially where oxbridge is concerned. Maybe apply to 2x unis that you would LOVE to go to, and maybe 3x unis that should definitely accept you on grade performance.
Reply 11
Original post by neunundneunzig
I got A*A*B in History, Government & Politics and English Literature respectively, and was considering Psychology and Linguistics (Oxford), Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience (Notts) or Psychology. However, many request AAA or A*AA, and I was wondering if my results would be alright, despite my B in English Lit?

EDIT: To clarify, I am planning to apply to go to university in 2014 after having got my A2s, due to my inital AS results not being what I wanted

Apply and you may be asked to resit English I know someone in this position who got a place at oxford on the condition he resat maths and got an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest