The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Apart from getting a job some where these are the best ways to make money:

Become an online tutor. MyTutor pay £24/hour which is about 3x as much as working at a checkout - you can sign up by clicking here

Participate in university experiments (psychology ones often pay about £20-50)

Become a Secret/Mystery shopper

Test pubs for ID checking
Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

Well guys, I am looking for ways to make money when at university however much/little to help me out so I can go further. =l

Any advice/ideas?

Part time jobs- in shops, supermarkets, fast food places, cafes, restaurants, paper rounds etc etc.
Also try babysitting, gardening, dog walking etc.
Reply 3
Hey Guys;

Well guys, I am looking for ways to make money when at university however much/little to help me out so I can go further. =l

Any advice/ideas?

Tutoring. Find yourself some GCSE/A-Level students and tutor them in subjects you're good at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hey Guys;

Any advice/ideas?

Tutoring. Find yourself some GCSE/A-Level students and tutor them in subjects you're good at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could try freelance writing/editing/proofreading.
Get on the internet and you can add some good money to your monthly income.
Doing paid surveys is a good option and there are plenty of other things you can do on there
Reply 7
If you take a part time job the best option is bar/restaurant work. It may be minimum wage, but the tips can be awesome (especially in good restaurants!)
well, most students work within shops or cafes etc.

go to your student union they will help you with finding jobs relevant to your studies :smile:
Reply 9
Get a job?
I found selling explicit images of myself on Craigslist to be a pretty good way.

(This is not actually good advice at all, don't take it.)
Reply 11
:colone: Hehe!
Original post by deedee123
Get a job?

I know that's the obvious one but, how will a job affect my studies?
I am thinking of applying for a job at the uni bar or maybe a cafe/restaurant. =l

4-5 hours a day at the weekend?
I am thinking of applying for a job at the uni bar or maybe a cafe/restaurant. =l

It depends on how intense your course is, but a job is often possible. In my first year I worked ~20 hours a week at a cinema and managed to get decent grades.
It depends on the job. I work in a relatively quiet shop on campus and can get quite a bit of reading/work done. I do 7 hours on Saturday and Sunday and then usually one or two 5 hour shifts a couple of nights in the week. Luckily I get 7.20 an hour, so just the weekend shifts get me £400 a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Start matched betting, you can make around £1000 if you're willing to put the time in, check it up online if you don't believe me. It's risk-free too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matched_betting
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
On line surveys, Medical trials or Police ID parades are a few random possibilities from the norm of getting a job.....
Reply 17

Provided your organized and disciplined during the week you can get at least 10 hours during the weekend. Plus it gives you a good reference to provide to a future graduate employer.
You can do part time jobs in fast food places, shops, supermarkets, cafes, restaurants, etc.
Reply 19
I did the following as a student to earn some much needed money.

8-12 hours per week of tutoring, tutored mathematics and sciences. Can be pretty good money for a relatively easy job as many parents just needed an overpriced babysitter.

I also did 6-10 hours at a pub. Just the usual bar work. If you're going to work at one, ensure that you work at one that has a restaurant type service rather than order and pick-up at bar type as tips at those places tend to be abysmal or non-existent. Also avoid working at places frequented mostly by students as tips would be scarcer than hens' teeth. If you're nice to the chef or the manager chances are you would get a free meal as part of your shift and there is a possibility that the chef might give you some food you could take home, the chef at the pub I used to work at would always give me a head of lettuce, tomatoes, sausages and at times even pieces of meat or the balance of a Sunday roast for me to take home, meant me not needing to buy it.

Weird thing I did, for my 2nd year I lived in a flat where the landlady lived below us. She told me she was renovating the flat next to mine and I simply asked if she needed any help. I told her I could help her paint and that was actually the first time I ever painted anything. Funny that from supposed to just give it a paint, she asked me to help with assembling some IKEA furniture, installed new lamps, clearing the garden and laying down new carpet. I never asked how much I was being paid to do it but when it was over she told us we could live rent-free for 12 weeks. It didn't take me all that much time, around 3 Sundays and that was it. Word does get around and if you are good chances are the word will get around fast especially if you do some work for an elderly lady.

Latest