The Student Room Group

can i get into LSE?

[INDENT]I'll be applying to LSE this month. Just wanted to know if my application is strong enough:

At the IGCSEs: Math, Physics, Chemistry, History, Economics- A*, English, Hindi, ICT- A

Took 2 AP's (Advanced Placement Tests) : Macroeconomics: 5/5, Microeconomics: 5/5

A levels: Math, Physics, Chemistry, Economics
AS level: English

Taking the above in the winter session. However, I do not have Further math. Although I'll be taking it in summer'14 session I will not have a predicted for it.

I also have plenty charity work, had 3 articles published in national newspapers (economics related), and an economics related research project. What are my chances like at LSE? [/INDENT]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Course? I think it's Economics if so, then you have a decent shot at getting in.
Reply 2
If you meet the grades that they want, then most definitely, as long as your personal statement is good.
Original post by sanm1
[INDENT]I'll be applying to LSE this month. Just wanted to know if my application is strong enough:

At the IGCSEs: Math, Physics, Chemistry, History, Economics- A*, English, Hindi, ICT- A

Took 2 AP's (Advanced Placement Tests) : Macroeconomics: 5/5, Microeconomics: 5/5

Taking the above in the winter session. However, I do not have Further math. Although I'll be taking it in summer'14 session I will not have a predicted for it.

I also have plenty charity work, had 3 articles published in national newspapers (economics related), and an economics related research project. What are my chances like at LSE? [/INDENT]

I'm presuming you're applying for Economics?
Reply 4
Original post by Dilzo999
Course? I think it's Economics if so, then you have a decent shot at getting in.

Yes, I'll be applying for Economics!
Reply 5
Original post by the.cookie.monster
I'm presuming you're applying for Economics?

Yes, I'll be applying for Economics. Does it seem like I have a good chance?
Original post by sanm1

Hey how did you do advanced placement?
Reply 7
Original post by REASON_Lighters
Hey how did you do advanced placement?

Hey!

The advanced placement takes place once a year- in May. So if you're interested you'll have to wait until next year.
I registered for it using the collegeboard website, though.
The course is pretty much the same as the A level syllabus, so it wasn't an issue at all!
Depends how your UMS is I guess- LSE usually ask for UMS for pure Econ. Very PS orientated.
Reply 9
You'll get in, I can make sure of it. PM me for more details.
Reply 10
Original post by ayooshc
depends how your ums is i guess- lse usually ask for ums for pure econ. Very ps orientated.

igcse ums?
Best thing to do is to phone their admissions team and ask them what the chances are of you getting a place; that's much better than applying straight away. I know that clearing takes a long time and you can only do one university at a time. Best way not to waste any time.
Original post by sanm1
I'll be applying to LSE this month. Just wanted to know if my application is strong enough:

I also have plenty charity work, had 3 articles published in national newspapers (economics related), and an economics related research project. What are my chances like at LSE?

Best thing to do is to phone their admissions team and ask them what the chances are of you getting a place; that's much better than applying straight away. I know that clearing takes a long time and you can only do one university at a time. Best way not to waste any time.
Original post by sanm1
igcse ums?

sorry no not IGCSE UMS, but AS UMS- they'lll ask for individual unit scores, and how many times you've taken them. GCSEs are fine for them as long as it's almost all A*s and As. It's mainly PS and AS UMS and predictions. They want to see how likely you are to meet your predicted grade, and if you're an academic baws.
Reply 14
Original post by natasha007a

I think I wasn't clear. When I said I'm applying next month, I meant the 2014 applications. Do you think I should still call them and check though?
Original post by sanm1
I think I wasn't clear. When I said I'm applying next month, I meant the 2014 applications. Do you think I should still call them and check though?

I thought you meant through clearing this month because applications are still going through.

Check their webpage, if it is still unclear then call them. It's always the most quickest and most accurate way.
Reply 16
I understand what you're saying. But I haven't taken any AS Levels. I'll be taking both AS and A Levels together in October this year. Although I have taken 2 AP's and I've got 5's in them- The APs are considered equivalent to A levels. So a 5 in my APs should mean an A* in Eco A Level. Isn't that enough reassurance that i'll meet my predicteds?
Reply 17
Original post by ayooshc
sorry no not IGCSE UMS, but AS UMS- they'lll ask for individual unit scores, and how many times you've taken them. GCSEs are fine for them as long as it's almost all A*s and As. It's mainly PS and AS UMS and predictions. They want to see how likely you are to meet your predicted grade, and if you're an academic baws.

I understand what you're saying. But I haven't taken any AS Levels. I'll be taking both AS and A Levels together in October this year. Although I have taken 2 AP's and I've got 5's in them- The APs are considered equivalent to A levels. So a 5 in my APs should mean an A* in Eco A Level. Isn't that enough reassurance that i'll meet my predicteds?

Reply 18
What year of education have you just completed? Did you do AP's along with your IGCSEs, or did you do IGCSEs, then take a year to do your AP's, and will now do AS levels?
If you really want to go, and you meet the entry requirements, I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't or shouldn't apply!

Quick Reply

Latest