Is the Labour Party right wing? Watch

SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've been told frequently that the Labour Party are right wing (or, at least, not left wing), yet i've been unable to find out how.

Does anyone know of anything which they currently advocate which is ''right wing''?
Barksy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, they're not. Even the Conservatives aren't right wing.
SpiggyTopes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On a global scale they're very left wing, on a UK scale they're slightly left wing. On an English scale they're left wing, on a Scottish and Welsh scale they're slightly right wing probably.
Eloquai
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To use the old cliche: They may not be right wing, but they're certainly not left wing.
Spaz Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On the political compass they are centre-right at the moment along with the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives. Essentially they all have the same overall direction for their policies.
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
According to the Political Compass, yes.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/ukparties2010

But depends on your perspective. They are certainly left of the Conservative Party, but right of the Greens and the various nationalist parties.

Of course, the people who love screaming about the 'loony left' to mean Labour will disagree, possibly because of the added appeal of alliteration.
Sammy Lanka
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They are crooks who pose under a left wing banner but in reality don't care about anyone but themselves

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welsh_insomniac
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SpiggyTopes)
On a global scale they're very left wing, on a UK scale they're slightly left wing. On an English scale they're left wing, on a Scottish and Welsh scale they're slightly right wing probably.
New Labour are anything but left wing on a global scale. They favour global capitalism, they introduce fees to charge students to go to university, they barely tax the rich or even introduced sustainable measures to actually improve the situation for workers, the MPs were some of the worst for claiming back expenses in order to fund their extravagant lifestyles, they imported cheap migrant labour to not have to go through the trouble of spending money in order to educated the masses of unemployed manual labourers after the conservatives shut down a lot of funding.

The U.K government is a corrupt, right wing, pro globalisation and corporatist state. Definitely not left wing.
Barksy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
New Labour are anything but left wing on a global scale. They favour global capitalism, they introduce fees to charge students to go to university, they barely taxed the rich or even introduced sustainable measures to actually improve the situation for workers, the MPs were some of the worst for claiming back expenses in order to fund their extravagant lifestyles, they imported cheap migrant labour to not have to go through the trouble of spending money in order to educated the masses of unemployed manual labourers after the conservatives shut down a lot of funding.

The U.K government is a corrupt, right wing, pro globalisation and corporatist state. Definitely not left wing.
Is 50% too low in your eyes? :rolleyes:

They did that to pursue their multicultural wet dream; a leftist premise.
#afital
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think there no longer exists a left winged labour party nor a right wing conservative party, that was left to the past, the 2 or 3 mainstream parties that we currently have tend to base their manifestos on issues that are current and need addressing for example Lib-dem made promises about tuition fees but once elected as well all know didn't fulfill that promise. As the current labour leader Ed Milliband says a lot of his 'One nation' propaganda, if we look back in history that was a famous Disraeli quote who was conservative.
I think these parties are not right wing nor left wing but are there to make up manifestos of what they thing is current.
Welsh_insomniac
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Barksy)
Is 50% too low in your eyes? :rolleyes:

They did that to pursue their multicultural wet dream; a leftist premise.
A multicultural dream is the same as a neo-cons dream in this sense because they prefer the freedom of movement, open markets, cheap labour driving down wages, job stability and employees rights.

Remember that the Labour Party and the trade unionists use to be slightly racist, would promote only British businesses and were very nationalistic. It's just that now both the conservatives and the labour parties have adopted globalisation - which will be the death of the welfare state, and they know it. University costs will eventually be pushed entirely on the student, the pension bubble will burst and this unsustainable way of life will crash. There will only be more privatisation and a New Labour government won't do anything to stop it.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would not student loans not grants be considered right-wing? Or supporting George W Bush when Tony Blair was PM? Or having a deputy leader who had two large cars?
uktotalgamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sammy Lanka)
They are crooks who pose under a left wing banner but in reality don't care about anyone but themselves

Posted from TSR Mobile
Completely agree. Front bench of millionaires that dress themselves up as standing for the working class who at times don't want their help. They've never been working class in their lives. Atleast the Tories are just honest about it.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Post-Blair, Labour have basically been the party of 'Thatcherism with a human face', which is why Blair got elected three times; as hated as he was, people hated the Tories (then still the 'nasty party') more. Since Cameron became Tory leader, the Tories have essentially adopted the Blairite model, leaving Labour at a bit of a dead end.

To give an example: in the days of Old Labour, Labour were always considered the more Eurosceptic of the two main parties. Euroscepticism was considered a mostly left-wing position. Now British politics has moved to the right and hit the other extreme; the Tories are now considered the more Eurosceptic of the two, and Euroscepticism is considered a mostly right-wing position.
thesabbath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
sociologically and culturally they're off-the-scale Left, Marxists, determined to deconstruct and render irrelevant every aspect of this country's history, tradition, social structures and nationhood in order to usher in their open bordered multicultural egalitarian utopia

economically they seem determined to bankrupt the country, presumably with the intention of selling it off to a larger entity, which would most likely be the EU empire they remain so fond of (with a view to their own cushy retirements, no doubt)
SophiaKeuning
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SpiggyTopes)
on a Scottish and Welsh scale they're slightly right wing probably.
What d'you mean by that??
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SophiaKeuning)
Probably that those countries have prominent parties that are further left than Labour.
SpiggyTopes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SophiaKeuning)
Most Scottish and Welsh people are more left wing than the Labour party.
Moosferatu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thesabbath)
sociologically and culturally they're off-the-scale Left, Marxists, determined to deconstruct and render irrelevant every aspect of this country's history, tradition, social structures and nationhood in order to usher in their open bordered multicultural egalitarian utopia

economically they seem determined to bankrupt the country, presumably with the intention of selling it off to a larger entity, which would most likely be the EU empire they remain so fond of (with a view to their own cushy retirements, no doubt)
Lol. Are you BNP by any chance?
Barksy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Moosferatu)
Lol. Are you BNP by any chance?
He's saying what half the electorate think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise