The Student Room Group

Is there anyone who didn't get into uni because of GCSEs???

Hello there, I'm just wondering if unis look very seriously to your GCSEs! Because I am planning to get great BTEC grades in college but I only have Cs in my GCSEs and most universities require higher than C. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
C grades in English and Maths at GCSE will more than suffice for 98% of universities and 85% of courses.

haha, who negged me and WHY?

Unless people negging me got D's in English/Maths and somehow got passed the system? Even unis at the bottom of the tables are strict on this these days. Tbh, if you can't count I don't think you deserve to even go to uni. It's such a basic life skill.

Don't try and run before you can walk - my mum always says that to me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Two of my friends were checked for their GCSE grades, they were both wanting to studying Medicine at uni. One had all As and A*s and she got in, the other had an A, Cs and below and he didn't. He is now having to consider a different course.
If you aren't going into Medicine then I think just a pass in English and Maths is fine.

Just sharing my knowledge, I am not starting an argument...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
You will need a C in English and Maths at least. Most want a B in one or both
Original post by Eissy
Hello there, I'm just wondering if unis look very seriously to your GCSEs! Because I am planning to get great BTEC grades in college but I only have Cs in my GCSEs and most universities require higher than C. :frown:

For competitive courses / universities then yes plenty of people would not have made it through the initial shortlisting because of GCSE requirements.
Reply 5
Can you resit your GCSEs? Our school allowed people who got Cs or below in English Language and Maths to resit in Year 12.

But I think Cs will be fine for most universities :smile:
Reply 6
I got 5 offers with the worst GCSE grades humanly possible.
Reply 7
Original post by Beebumble
I got 5 offers with the worst GCSE grades humanly possible.

What course/uni ...They couldn't have been that bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Eissy

If the course requirements state GCSEs above what you have then I suggest contacting admissions prior to adding the course to UCAS

This can be the first hurdle in the rejections process for many universities and/or courses
Reply 9
Original post by qr95
What course/uni ...They couldn't have been that bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 2Cs the rest Ds Es and Fs retook English Language and got a B and took a Maths 'equivalence'.

Got offers from, Bangor, Gloucestershire, Essex, Sussex and Winchester for English Language and Linguistics. I actually wished I'd aimed a little higher to see if I'd got in.
Reply 10
Original post by Beebumble
I got 2Cs the rest Ds Es and Fs retook English Language and got a B and took a Maths 'equivalence'.

Got offers from, Bangor, Gloucestershire, Essex, Sussex and Winchester for English Language and Linguistics. I actually wished I'd aimed a little higher to see if I'd got in.

Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like another user said, I don't think it matters too much unless you're applying for Medicine, or for another really oversubscribed course at a top uni, perhaps. And for the latter, I don't even know if GCSEs would matter that much. I've always seen them all as stepping stones, tbh - GCSEs are stepping stones to A levels, which are then the same for uni, etc. Cs are normally fine for most courses and most unis I'd say.
Obviously Oxbridge, UCL et al. are not going to be particularly impressed by Cs and the like. Also courses such as law and medicine will not want to see low GCSEs. But generally they are far more interested in AS results and personal statements.
Original post by supergirl#1
Two of my friends were checked for their GCSE grades, they were both wanting to studying Medicine at uni. One had all As and A*s and she got in, the other had an A, Cs and below and he didn't. He is now having to consider a different course. A bit unfair isn't it?!
If you aren't going into Medicine then I think just a pass in English and Maths is fine

Unfair? How so?
For hugely competitive courses it's important. My friend missed out on an Engineering course (I think Chem Eng via NatSci?) at Cambridge and the only feedback they gave was that she had an A in English Language instead of A*. Then again, we do take very few GCSEs...

But for 99% of courses you'll be fine, provided you meet the A level/BTEC requirements.
Reply 15
Original post by Muppet Science
Unfair? How so?

It's unfair because hardly anybody know what career path they want to go into at the tender age of 14-16, therefore most of these kids will mess about and hardly revise for exams, and this is what medicine score there applicants on?! What a joke! Clearly nobodys at there mental peak at that age therefore some students who are potential medics underachieve, and thus end up missing out on offers and ending up doing an extra degree and years, just so they can go medical school. I mean seriously how ****ing stupid is this system?!
Original post by Atemukay
It's unfair because hardly anybody know what career path they want to go into at the tender age of 14-16, therefore most of these kids will mess about and hardly revise for exams, and this is what medicine score there applicants on?! What a joke! Clearly nobodys at there mental peak at that age therefore some students who are potential medics underachieve, and thus end up missing out on offers and ending up doing an extra degree and years, just so they can go medical school. I mean seriously how ****ing stupid is this system?!

As much as I dislike the current education system I struggle to see how using GCSE grades to rank candidates is unfair.

Ideally medical schools will take as much relevant information into consideration before awarding offers, part of that relevant information is GCSE performance. A lot of medical applicants have straight As at AS, relevant work experience, a great personal statement and reference and a good interview performance. With such a massively able cohort I think it would be daft for them not to consider GCSE performance. And even if you were to make a compelling argument that it is daft to use GCSE performance, then I sincerely doubt you can convince me that it is unfair to do so. Though I welcome any argument in support of such a position.
Reply 17
I got straight As in my AS exams and so decided to apply for LSE as a one off. I didnt get in which was expected however i did enquire as to why; they stated it was because my GCSE grades were too low as i didnt get As in the core subjects! Annoying considering that they were judging me on something i did when i was 15 not on something recent!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tsrking
Can you get into medicine with BBBC at AS

I can't remember off the top of my head what all the UK medical schools are like with AS levels but with those grades your options, if memory serves, are rather limited. A foundation year may work. Your best bet though is to call up the individual medical schools as they sometimes vary from year to year over their criteria. Best of luck :smile:
I'm going to uni despite not having GCSE's. I completed an access course this last year and applied and was accepted. I wasn't lazy I just had to drop out of school because of health issues, I didn't mention my GCSE or lack of them to my uni. Look at specific course requirements to see what ones require them and what don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending