This discussion is closed.
Coltrane
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Id just like to hear from anyone studying physics at oxford next year. Probably been posted before. What did you think of the lecture at interview? Laser show was abit of a let down! lol
Ger
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I've got an offer from Univ for Physics. AAA, what about you?
hehe, the lecture was kinda cool
Hoofbeat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mast3486)
Laser show was abit of a let down! lol
The laser show?! Do you mean the lecture we had on Optics during our interviews? Yeah I agree, bit disappointing.

I have an offer of AAA to study physics but its an open offer so dont find out which college until like the day after exam results! Not bothered though where I end up. Think we're the only ones on here with offers for Oxford. Elpaw on here is already at ChChurch doing Physics (1st yr) nd there's Nylex who's doin it at B'ham.

Where's your offer for and what grades? Have either of you done furthe rmaths, I havent...
Ger
Report 16 years ago
I've taken further maths AS. So I do P4 P5 and P6.
I must get the grades!
You guys read anything by Feynman?

What boards are you doing for Physics and Chem? I'm OCR
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ger)
I've taken further maths AS. So I do P4 P5 and P6.
I must get the grades!
You guys read anything by Feynman?

What boards are you doing for Physics and Chem? I'm OCR
Lucky you doing F.maths, really wish I had now but my school doesn't really offer it! I'm going to attempt to teach myself most of it during the summer, so even if I don't completely understand it, I have a vague idea of what is going on!!!

No haven't read anything by Feynman, but probably will over summer. I've only read Brian Green's book on String Theory, Steven Hawkings (every1 has!) and am reading Michael Ree's "The 6 Numbers" at the moment.

I'm doing Edexcel in all of my subjects: Maths, Physics, Bio and Chem

What sort of stuff did you both get asked at interview?
Ger
Report 16 years ago
I had a maths exam, which was fine. An interview, which I thought went ok, because I got to talk about something that I had looked into beyond the Physics A-level specification.
Then there were the questions.
In preparation for the 2nd interview, they gave us a few Physics problems for which we were sent away and given a good few hours to do. I spent 3 hours in my room on two questions and still managed to *completely* screw up the following interview, which was based on the questions. I was so bloody embarrassed. They barely kept me in there 10 minutes. One Physics applicant I talked to decided to enlist the help of one of the maths applicants to do the questions - which I thought to be rather dishonest, but I guess it shows initiative.
I was almost certain that I hadn't got a place, and I was also very angry: At myself for screwing up, at the other person for cheating (was it cheating???), and also for not thinking about getting help for myself.
Naturally then, I was bouncing off the ceilings when I got the offer on Christmas Eve!
It was an interesting experience.
What about you?
Ger
Report 16 years ago
Doing some further is a good idea I think. Don't kill yourself doing it though. Make sure you have fun. Good luck with that.
What's your second choice uni?
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ger)
I had a maths exam, which was fine. An interview, which I thought went ok, because I got to talk about something that I had looked into beyond the Physics A-level specification.
Then there were the questions.
In preparation for the 2nd interview, they gave us a few Physics problems for which we were sent away and given a good few hours to do. I spent 3 hours in my room on two questions and still managed to *completely* screw up the following interview, which was based on the questions. I was so bloody embarrassed. They barely kept me in there 10 minutes. One Physics applicant I talked to decided to enlist the help of one of the maths applicants to do the questions - which I thought to be rather dishonest, but I guess it shows initiative.
I was almost certain that I hadn't got a place, and I was also very angry: At myself for screwing up, at the other person for cheating (was it cheating???), and also for not thinking about getting help for myself.
Naturally then, I was bouncing off the ceilings when I got the offer on Christmas Eve!
It was an interesting experience.
What about you?
Wow! Your's was completely different to mine!

I arrivd on sun at New College (where I applied to), had first interview later tht afternoon nd she just asked me sum physics/maths questions about energy and things fallin under gravity charged particles in magnetic fields nd what motion it wld show. Then next morning had maths test (same one as u) then later tht afternoon had 2nd interview with 2 men and tht was much harder nd getting me to thing of strange circular motion and projectile questions from different angles and things moving relative to one another - if you drop a stone from the crows nest of a private ship where will it land? ie. does it fall in a parabola or straight down?! They asked me other stuff I had never thought off tht involved momentem and things sticking together. Why do they stick?! etc, but most was just things going further than A-Level. Both of these interviews were about 30mins long.

Then got called to St Hilda's college for 2 further interviews, which made me think that I was unwanted as most ppl went home! first one was HORRIBLE! with this evil lady who asked me impossible maths questions like draw y=xsinx which I didnt have a clue about! then also had rebounding balls and forming a GP series for the distance it travels depending on number of bounces etc. She was v.pompous nd when i asked for help she'd say like a few words then lean back in her chair nd glare at me!!! After this, I was really demoralised and nearly felt like crying so i went into my last interview thinkin "sod it i've been rejected" nd it was amazin! I was so relaxed tht when she handed me a board pen and told me to do things on the white board I just did them as I was so relaxed nd didnt giv a s**t any more! lol. I had questions about the necessary height of a rollercoaster for the train to get round a loop, which was more powerful (and prove quanitatively) a fire with 2 resistors in parallel or series? etc. This lasted only 20mins nd was supposed to last 30mins but she sed she didnt want to ask me any more questions than anyone else.

Anyways, I came home from London (had been there over wkend) nd found my reply a couple of days before xmas. I saw tht the envelope was stamped St Hilda nd i went mad as i reallllllly didnt want to go to an all girls college so didnt pay much attention when I opened the envelope nd i kept saying i'd reject the offer! Anyways, they said tht neither New nor themselves cld offer me a place nd tht instead i had been given an Open Offer which meant I was carrid a place but it wld b at any college, basically where some poor person failed to make the grades!

It's interesting how the technique of the interviewers was soooo different! Strange how they can assess that we're all the same calibre!

I'll try not to work too hard over summer don't worry, but i AM worried that I wont b good enough when I get there as I don't think im as strong as other canditates - maybe they could see past my actual knowledge and see my potential! that's what I'm hoping anyways! My teachers seemed to think i was gd enough (got 100% on AS module) but then i sy the dumbest things sumtimes and they look at me as if to say "god how did she ever get into Oxford!". grrrrr, I bet you're both geniuses!!!
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
Then got called to St Hilda's college for 2 further interviews, which made me think that I was unwanted as most ppl went home! first one was HORRIBLE! with this evil lady who asked me impossible maths questions like draw y=xsinx which I didnt have a clue about! then also had rebounding balls and forming a GP series for the distance it travels depending on number of bounces etc. She was v.pompous nd when i asked for help she'd say like a few words then lean back in her chair nd glare at me!!! After this, I was really demoralised and nearly felt like crying so i went into my last interview thinkin "sod it i've been rejected" nd it was amazin! I was so relaxed tht when she handed me a board pen and told me to do things on the white board I just did them as I was so relaxed nd didnt giv a s**t any more! lol. I had questions about the necessary height of a rollercoaster for the train to get round a loop, which was more powerful (and prove quanitatively) a fire with 2 resistors in parallel or series? etc. This lasted only 20mins nd was supposed to last 30mins but she sed she didnt want to ask me any more questions than anyone else.
That sounds exactly the same as the one hour test I took at Trinity College Cambridge for Physical Nat Sci - I had the rollercoaster one and the x / sin x graph which was awful since I hadn't got up to trig graphs in Pure 2 I think it is but the rollercoaster one was quite fun - I was glad I revised circular motion the night before. Even so, I messed up the graph question and part of the air resistance for a bike one and the competition seemed so fierce (one German guy was part of his Physics Olympiad team in the lower 6th while I only got Bronze I in lower 6th and he was part of the team that won the Internation Physicists Tournament when our team didn't even get to represent the country) that I was sure I hadn't got in after the interview. the interview was just sorting out the wrong answers and doing some of the questions I hadn't chosen in the exam due to time constraints.

Over the next couple of weeks I convinced myself I hadn't been accepted. Then as the new year rolled round I started to get excited again but 2 days before the new year I decided it wouldn't come until a while into January (they said start of Jan) but then on New Year's eve it came and I just read the first line and started jumping around ( I was still in bed - my dad had brought the letter up). It seems most people think they've failed, even if they do get in.
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by androidkiller)
That sounds exactly the same as the one hour test I took at Trinity College Cambridge for Physical Nat Sci - I had the rollercoaster one and the x / sin x graph which was awful since I hadn't got up to trig graphs in Pure 2 I think it is but the rollercoaster one was quite fun - I was glad I revised circular motion the night before. Even so, I messed up the graph question and part of the air resistance for a bike one and the competition seemed so fierce (one German guy was part of his Physics Olympiad team in the lower 6th while I only got Bronze I in lower 6th and he was part of the team that won the Internation Physicists Tournament when our team didn't even get to represent the country) that I was sure I hadn't got in after the interview. the interview was just sorting out the wrong answers and doing some of the questions I hadn't chosen in the exam due to time constraints.

Over the next couple of weeks I convinced myself I hadn't been accepted. Then as the new year rolled round I started to get excited again but 2 days before the new year I decided it wouldn't come until a while into January (they said start of Jan) but then on New Year's eve it came and I just read the first line and started jumping around ( I was still in bed - my dad had brought the letter up). It seems most people think they've failed, even if they do get in.
Cool I did the physics olympiad too and got a bronze. I liked the rollercoaster quetsion too as the lady just told me to solve it without much help and it was really satisfying knowing I could do it!
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hang on a minute , Oxford and Cambridge with the same test questions?I smell a conspiracy here...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.17%
No (601)
65.83%

Watched Threads