The Student Room Group

Started off well, now gone badly HELP

Hi, I have always achieved very good grades throughout school. I achieved 11 A*s at GCSE which was expected.

At AS level I was predicted 4 As however I feel I did not work hard enough through the year and my grades basically plummeted. I went from having never gotten a B before to getting 1 A (biology) 2 Bs (Maths and Chemistry) and a C (History) in my AS levels

I do not know what course or career I would like to do, nor where I would like to go to university which is also causing me concern.

I would really appreciate any help or tips as to how to get back on track. What kind of courses do you realistically think I have a chance of getting into? Are there any universities that focus more on GCSEs that AS levels? Please any help or guidance about anything is very much apprectiated
Reply 1
Original post by amchitsr
Hi, I have always achieved very good grades throughout school. I achieved 11 A*s at GCSE which was expected.

At AS level I was predicted 4 As however I feel I did not work hard enough through the year and my grades basically plummeted. I went from having never gotten a B before to getting 1 A (biology) 2 Bs (Maths and Chemistry) and a C (History) in my AS levels

I do not know what course or career I would like to do, nor where I would like to go to university which is also causing me concern.

I would really appreciate any help or tips as to how to get back on track. What kind of courses do you realistically think I have a chance of getting into? Are there any universities that focus more on GCSEs that AS levels? Please any help or guidance about anything is very much apprectiated

Your AS grades are still really good and you can still expect to get offers from top universities.

Unfortunately you have done what many people have done before and many people will do in the future, thought I breezed through GCSE's so A levels I can do the same. Then suddenly realise its much harder :')

You have nothing to worry about you have good grades and no there arent universities that look at GCSE's over AS levels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Dingo749
Your AS grades are still really good and you can still expect to get offers from top universities.

Unfortunately you have done what many people have done before and many people will do in the future, thought I breezed through GCSE's so A levels I can do the same. Then suddenly realise its much harder :')

You have nothing to worry about you have good grades and no there arent universities that look at GCSE's over AS levels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks so much for your help and reassurance! Thats exactly what happened. Went into L6th expecting to not have to work and realised how big the difference between GCSE and AS level was too late. Just going to have to put all my effort into working as hard as I can this year and will hopefully get my grades up. I think it is likely I will take a gap year.
Reply 3
Also confused as to whether to continue 4 A levels to keep Irish universities as an option. Any advice?
Reply 4
Original post by amchitsr
Also confused as to whether to continue 4 A levels to keep Irish universities as an option. Any advice?

My sixth form only allow you to take 4 A2s if you got at least BBBB in L6 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest