The Student Room Group

Access or A levels?

So which would you pick?

I don't know if I should do an access course or take a levels over 3 years. If a levels which ones via distance learning - so no main stream science. I'm looking at sociology, ict (as), environmental science...
Original post by dg2009
So which would you pick?

I don't know if I should do an access course or take a levels over 3 years. If a levels which ones via distance learning - so no main stream science. I'm looking at sociology, ict (as), environmental science...

It really is down to your personal circumstances and what best suits your short/medium term goals. I have done both A-levels and an Access course. I'd say the Access suited me better as I had more choice and autonomy around question choices for coursework and modules to take etc.

Not sure if this applies but don't be dissuaded by those who say top Universities don't like Access courses it's total bull.
A - levels. If you have the time to do Access in 1 year then I cannot see why A levels would take 3.

Some universities explicitly state they do not accept Access for some courses so the bull is not total.

A levels also provide a UCAS tariff which many employers now filter on because 2.1 degrees are all but ubiquitous.

If A levels really will take three years then Access is worth it. One my fellow mature students on my course came via Access (like they have A levels from the 1980s) they did very well in the first year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I chose to do an Access last year, it was hard work but that could be expected, but was a good laugh along the way too. I definitely don't regret choosing access over A levels.
Reply 5
Original post by evening sunrise
A - levels. If you have the time to do Access in 1 year then I cannot see why A levels would take 3.

Some universities explicitly state they do not accept Access for some courses so the bull is not total.

A levels also provide a UCAS tariff which many employers now filter on because 2.1 degrees are all but ubiquitous.

If A levels really will take three years then Access is worth it. One my fellow mature students on my course came via Access (like they have A levels from the 1980s) they did very well in the first year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would not be applying for 3 years that is why. Anyways the uni's I have looked at do take access so will prob go that route as the a levels I would need can't be done easily via distance learning.

Looking at Nursing, ODP, Paramedic Science @ Brighton, Surrey, Portsmouth and Southampton
Reply 6
Original post by dg2009
I would not be applying for 3 years that is why. Anyways the uni's I have looked at do take access so will prob go that route as the a levels I would need can't be done easily via distance learning.

Looking at Nursing, ODP, Paramedic Science @ Brighton, Surrey, Portsmouth and Southampton

Would you need to do a level 3 course if you are already studying a degree with the OU, couldn't you use those credits to gain admission?
I cannot find any statement from the OP saying they are with the OU. But then it all looks very small on my phone and my glasses are in my rucksack....I hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I cannot find any statement from the OP saying they are with the OU. But then it all looks very small on my phone and my glasses are in my rucksack....I hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is in their signature.
Ah I wonder if there is a site setting I need to change to see signatures

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah I wonder if there is a site setting I need to change to see signatures

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you click onto the user and scroll down to the bottom; that's where the signature is :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Productoflabour
It really is down to your personal circumstances and what best suits your short/medium term goals. I have done both A-levels and an Access course. I'd say the Access suited me better as I had more choice and autonomy around question choices for coursework and modules to take etc.

Not sure if this applies but don't be dissuaded by those who say top Universities don't like Access courses it's total bull.

As someone else mentioned, some unis don't except access courses. What is important to remember is that you competing against those with A levels and BTEC (which are considered the gold standard). For instance, Cardiff uni has over 1000 students applying each year for only 190 places in their psychology degree. I approached them with A grades at A/S level in sciences and Level 4 study in psychology at the open uni and yet they still more or less said I needed to get 3 A levels or BTEC equivalent. Now this doesn't make much sense since my study at Level 4 (psychology modules) is at a higher level than A levels and its basically what I would be doing in year one of the degree anyway!
Original post by Mindbodyspirit
As someone else mentioned, some unis don't except access courses. What is important to remember is that you competing against those with A levels and BTEC (which are considered the gold standard). For instance, Cardiff uni has over 1000 students applying each year for only 190 places in their psychology degree. I approached them with A grades at A/S level in sciences and Level 4 study in psychology at the open uni and yet they still more or less said I needed to get 3 A levels or BTEC equivalent. Now this doesn't make much sense since my study at Level 4 (psychology modules) is at a higher level than A levels and its basically what I would be doing in year one of the degree anyway!

Granted, however, I applied to Bristol, LSE, York, Birmingham and Goldsmiths and enquired at Nottingham, UCL, Cambridge, Durham and more that I can't remember and not a single University said they wouldn't accept an Access course. The key word in what they said is "equivalent". The OP shouldn't have any problems applying to Universities although as a caveat it does depend on which access course one is enrolled on. FYI, I got offers from all five of my unis and everyone knows how picky LSE are. I think they said that to you because you were applying with AS and one OU module which wouldn't meet the entry tariff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But for Psychology? I'd be surprised if any did. I mean even Cambridge accept them although they state that some Access courses may not be suitable because of the lab based component but they do ask you to contact them to discuss it further. If you're studying Maths or Chemistry, yeah, sure, Access may not be right but for Psychology in most cases it will be more than adequate.
Based upon what you typed I think you quoted the wrong person. Plus the original question has nothing to do with psychology so maybe you are also in the wrong thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Productoflabour
Granted, however, I applied to Bristol, LSE, York, Birmingham and Goldsmiths and enquired at Nottingham, UCL, Cambridge, Durham and more that I can't remember and not a single University said they wouldn't accept an Access course. The key word in what they said is "equivalent". The OP shouldn't have any problems applying to Universities although as a caveat it does depend on which access course one is enrolled on. FYI, I got offers from all five of my unis and everyone knows how picky LSE are. I think they said that to you because you were applying with AS and one OU module which wouldn't meet the entry tariff.

I'm not saying that the OP won't get in with an access. The key point is to check before hand with the uni's she/he intends to apply to. Technically a 90% mark with TWO level 4 OU psychology modules (60credits) and 3 A grades at A/S sciences would be more than enough. But the issue is what alternative qualifications the uni will accept. For instance, Bath uni wouldn't have a problem with accepting me because they have looked at the weighting of OU modules and incorporated them into their entry requirements. Cardiff have not done this yet.
Reply 16
Hmm, people are having problems with Cardiff? One of my friends got into Cardiff with Access, although they were applying for archaeology.

This is what I was worrying about...some systems just filter out applicants automatically. Access isn't worth any UCAS points, and as jobs are competitive, they may look at previous education. I wonder if many employers will even know what Access is. I'm thinking that for jobs like nursing it might not be a problem, but more for general graduate schemes.

I decided to drop out of uni after doing an Access course (for personal reasons) but if I decide to go again in the future to a different course, I'd probably take A Levels as it's the safer option.
Access, because even if you have to do a foundation year at Uni, it is still only 2 years instead of the usual 3 for A-levels.
Do A levels and get the grades and there is no need for a foundation year.
Whilst timeframe is a consideration the primary consideration should be arriving at uni and being positioned to survive term / year 1 and being positioned at the end to compete in the job market against tens of thousands also holding 2.1. The prognosis is dependent upon degree subject to be studied and the targeted career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was on open day on University of Bristol, University of Cambridge, University of Bath, and University of Gloucestershire. Only on University of Gloucestershire they told me that they can offer me a place if I will have access course, on Bristol university they told me that they can look on application form from a person who has access course, but much more likely to get someone with A levels. On university of Cambridge they told me that access course is not really enough to enroll on the degree. That they even more likely to take mature student with A level resited than with access course. I want to do mathematic degree. I've decided to do A levels in 2 years. I want to fight for Cambridge. I will do 4 As, and 3 A levels as they want from me and I will try. I know that it's harder now with children and work, that last year when I did AAT level 3, GCSE Mathematic, and English I had a taught time, but I want to show that mature is good. That we, mature students can achieve as much as young people. It's your choice what to do, but also your choice on what university do you want to apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending