The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough for UCL?

So I just got back my GCSE results today and I'm really afraid that they border on 'average'.
I'm thinking about applying to UCL, Durham, and universities in America such as USC.

Mathematics A (Linear) Option H - B
French - A - 253
GCSE Geography A - A - 342
English Language - B - 149
English Literature - A - 169
GCSE Biology - B - 280
GCSE Chemistry - A - 321
GCSE Physics - B - 290
GCSE Food Technology - B - 313

I'd really like to easy my worries and know if these grades are good enough to get into the universities mentioned above? I plan on taking French, Physics, Chemistry, and Maths for A Levels next year!

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by sj97
So I just got back my GCSE results today and I'm really afraid that they border on 'average'.
I'm thinking about applying to UCL, Durham, and universities in America such as USC.

Mathematics A (Linear) Option H - B
French - A - 253
GCSE Geography A - A - 342
English Language - B - 149
English Literature - A - 169
GCSE Biology - B - 280
GCSE Chemistry - A - 321
GCSE Physics - B - 290
GCSE Food Technology - B - 313

I'd really like to easy my worries and know if these grades are good enough to get into the universities mentioned above? I plan on taking French, Physics, Chemistry, and Maths for A Levels next year!

Thank you!

Would be helpful if you told us the degree
Reply 2
Yes. For most universities including UCL GCSEs are rarely a barrier to entry accept for maybe medicine.

If you want to study in the USA I don't think they will even look at your GCSEs, they'll be far more interested in your A levels, SAT/ACT scores and any sports you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm thinking about going into chemical engineering! :smile:
UCL isn't too good for Chem Eng!

Newcastle has the best employment prospects in the country, Cambridge (obviously) is the best overall and places like Imperial, Manchester, Leeds, Bath and all better than UCL for ChemEng! (Plus their facilities are much better- look on TSR chemical engineers thread).
Reply 5
Wow, thank you! So would you say overall that GCSE grades aren't as mportant as A Level grades? Even with American unis? Thank you guys so much for helping me out btw! :smile: And I also heard that Imperial and Oxbridge are near impossible to get into, especially with my grades as of yet?
Reply 6
Original post by sj97
Wow, thank you! So would you say overall that GCSE grades aren't as mportant as A Level grades? Even with American unis? Thank you guys so much for helping me out btw! :smile: And I also heard that Imperial and Oxbridge are near impossible to get into, especially with my grades as of yet?

Yeah GCSEs are no where near as important. If you have great A level grades then you will get offers regardless of GCSEs. Oxbridge may pay a little more attention to them than other unis (Oxford more than Cambridge though).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest