The Student Room Group

Does my Dads pension count as income for student finance?

I've read a lot of people say it is counted as income but student finance are only interested in earned income. I'm confused and need to know in the simplest way, even though I must declare my dads pension on the application form is it going to be taken into account of how much of a maintenance loan I receive? :smile: thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
yeah it unfortunately does =/

" any benefits, pension payment or investment pay-outs will be taken into consideration"
Reply 2
It most definitely is!

What is unfair about it?
Reply 4
Well I guess is normal cases it is completely fair to those whose parents earn the money and actual use it to benefit their children and pay money towards their university life etc, however in my case I don't see any of that money of my dads & therefore pretty much only have my mums income to rely on. Therefore I am not entitled to any grants or higher loans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Userpass
Well I guess is normal cases it is completely fair to those whose parents earn the money and actual use it to benefit their children and pay money towards their university life etc, however in my case I don't see any of that money of my dads & therefore pretty much only have my mums income to rely on. Therefore I am not entitled to any grants or higher loans.

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you dont have support/contact with your dad you can ask them to consider that..
Do you mean your parents are separated or that your dad, quite understandably, doesn't think you should have any of his pension?
Reply 7
no parents are still together and we all live within the same house, however my dads money is very much his own money & my mum would be the one to support me and my brother as my dad believes (very strongly) if I want something I work for it myself, which to a certain extent is understandable and I will save money from my job, however I won't see it making a huge difference to whether ill actually be able to afford to live in liverpool or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
His pension counts then as household income.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending