The Student Room Group

Am I good enough to get in?

So I went to a very bad state school and it performs below national average but I managed to get 3 A*s and 6 As at GCSE.
I am currently studying at a sixth form and have received 4 As at AS level in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics and I am planning to drop Biology and taking the other 3 to A2 level.
I will hopefully get a prediction of A*A*A but if not then definitely A*AA.

I want to apply to:
1. Warwick - PPE - A*AA + B(at AS Level)
2. Oxford - PPE - AAA
3. UCL - Philosophy and Economics - AAA
4. LSE - Philosophy and Economics - AAA
5. Surrey - Politics and Economics - AAB

Do you think I can get into the first 4 and especially Oxford or LSE?
Does LSE take into account contextual data of school and how much emphasis do they put on GCSEs?
Original post by unihelp123
So I went to a very bad state school and it performs below national average but I managed to get 3 A*s and 6 As at GCSE.
I am currently studying at a sixth form and have received 4 As at AS level in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics and I am planning to drop Biology and taking the other 3 to A2 level.

I want to apply to:
2. Oxford - PPE - AAA

Does LSE take into account contextual data of school and how much emphasis do they put on GCSEs?

No one can tell you for sure if you will get into those universities. That being said, your grades are excellent and they might take into account your schools poor standards. Great job going above and beyond!

I'd say definitely try for those unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to apply to:
2. Oxford - PPE - AAA

LSE have a widening participation programme http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/informationForTeachersAndSchools/wideningParticipation/home.aspx and I would assume thatcthey are aware of contextual data when considering each application.

I would also suggest that you have a decent chance of getting into LSE or Oxford, though the latter obviously involves an interview and perhaps other tests - are there any for PPE?
Reply 3
Original post by Coffeetime
No one can tell you for sure if you will get into those universities. That being said, your grades are excellent and they might take into account your schools poor standards. Great job going above and beyond!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply. LSE has ridiculously high number of applicants for places so I think many would have top grades at GCSEs but I am still probably going to apply there and all the rest. I will try and write a very good Personal statement and get good references from my school.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
LSE have a widening participation programme http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/informationForTeachersAndSchools/wideningParticipation/home.aspx and I would assume thatcthey are aware of contextual data when considering each application.

I would also suggest that you have a decent chance of getting into LSE or Oxford, though the latter obviously involves an interview and perhaps other tests - are there any for PPE?

Hopefully they do take contextual data into account which would be beneficial for me. Oxford I think do take contextual data into account so that's good. For PPE I have to do Oxford TSA and as you mentioned interviews. I am scared about the interviews as with my sixth form we do not get any preparation or support and Oxbridge interviews are very challenging.
Reply 5
Original post by Coffeetime

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. The OP has done a stellar job against all odds.
Hopefully they do take contextual data into account which would be beneficial for me. Oxford I think do take contextual data into account so that's good. For PPE I have to do Oxford TSA and as you mentioned interviews. I am scared about the interviews as with my sixth form we do not get any preparation or support and Oxbridge interviews are very challenging.

Hmmm, if your school don't do practice interviews, is there anyone else who could help? When my wife's nephew was applying to Cambridge to study history for entry this year, I tried to give him a feel for what would happen. I sat him down and asked him a question about something historical and whatever he said, I would immediately jump on and make him justify his ideas. Although he didn't get accepted by Cambridge, he said that even the small amount of experience he gained helped enormously. Is there anyone who could do something similar for you? A teacher? A relative? Friend of the family?
Hmmm, if your school don't do practice interviews, is there anyone else who could help? When my wife's nephew was applying to Cambridge to study history for entry this year, I tried to give him a feel for what would happen. I sat him down and asked him a question about something historical and whatever he said, I would immediately jump on and make him justify his ideas. Although he didn't get accepted by Cambridge, he said that even the small amount of experience he gained helped enormously. Is there anyone who could do something similar for you? A teacher? A relative? Friend of the family?

this is a good idea you can also find example questions if you look online to help your "interviewer" know what sort of thing to ask if they're unsure. It would help if you could draft in a friends sibling / parent who doesn't know you that well to help you get used to being asked questions by someone you don't know. There are also interview practice courses you can attend but these cost money.

Cambridge has information on how to prepare if you just google it and there also videos of mock interviews so you can see what they're like.
Can I just say congratulations on performing so well! With a good personal statement, I'd be shocked if any one of them rejected you. You're the type that is classified as 'competition' for everyone else.
Reply 9

That seems like very helpful advice. I'll probably ask my Economics teacher to conduct mock interviews with me and hopefully convince the teachers from philosophy and politics departments to do the same. The philosophy and politics teachers do not know me too well so it would help me as the real interviewer wouldn't know me either.
Reply 10
Original post by SebCross
Agreed. The OP has done a stellar job against all odds.

Thank you for the kind words. :smile:
Reply 11
Thank you for the kind words. :smile:

You're most welcome. You've worked very hard and have done extremely well. Good for you.
Reply 12
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
Can I just say congratulations on performing so well! With a good personal statement, I'd be shocked if any one of them rejected you. You're the type that is classified as 'competition' for everyone else.

Thank you for these encouraging words but there are many applicants who are since day one conditioned to go to the top universities. They are constantly guided along the way as to what they need to do to get there and achieve extremely high grades (Not saying mine are low but theirs is just something else). This really puts me at a dis-advantage as the school I attend has to convince students to apply to university in the first place, let alone applying to top ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending