Changing your name to get a job? (Foreign/Ethnic minorities)

Watch
Poll: Would you change your name if it was the only way of securing a job?
Yes (30)
50.85%
No (26)
44.07%
Both/Neither/Other (comment in thread) (3)
5.08%
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Note: Assume CVs and applications are the best they can be to avoid off-topic convo.

Would you consider changing your name if after trying for a long time of filling in countless applications (e.g. 50-100) you weren't getting anywhere?

No?

What if you decided to do a little experiment by repeating the above but with an English sounding name (as opposed to a foreign/ethnic sounding name) and received responses at least 50% of the time. In fact you didn't even need to bother sending 50-100 of the same applications but with a different name, you're sending about 10-20 and get responses for most of them.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Thanks. Poll included.

---

My own opinion: I would keep my first name because it means a lot to me and perhaps use my middle name as my surname. But if this was a desperate situation involving finances then I'd probably ditch the pride and change the last name to some safe English name through Deed Poll.

UPDATE: I'm referring to permanent positions to settle down into. This could be graduate/junior/professional etc. after your studies or during part-time studies.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
59 views? :unimpressed:
dvilia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your name is part of you, if you want to change it, you will have to change something about your self as well and it may be very uncomfortable as your brain is already used to it. It is not that easy as well.
tehFrance
Badges: 17
Report 7 years ago
I'd never change my name for a job, that's outrageous.
username912610
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My first name is foreign but I've got an English surname. I wouldn't change mine, I'd only change it if it's very strong.
RoyalBlue7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I took off one of my names for my examinations board. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mauryan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think I would change my name but for a long time I have been thinking of using an English name in CVs/applications just to see if I get more response. Haven't tried it yet though. If any one else tried this please share your results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mauryan)
I don't think I would change my name but for a long time I have been thinking of using an English name in CVs/applications just to see if I get more response. Haven't tried it yet though. If any one else tried this please share your results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you should try it and report back, but to make it fair, you'll need to apply for the same roles or similar using both names.
Exon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends on the job. It would have to be something extremely lucrative for me to even consider it. You could always change your name back afterwards

Even then, I'd consider it a nickname :P
James CC
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a funny thing, your name.

I have changed my name (both first and last name), and I have to say, it only took me a month to get use to it. I wouldn't mind changing it again, because for me now, my name isn't that important to me.

So I guess you can say that although your name is important to you, after you change it once, it becomes way less important. And no, I don't feel like I have lost a sense of identity or anything. If it means securing a good job, then I'd definitely do it.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All my names (first, middle and surname) are foreign. My full first name in particular is quite long and 5 syllables, so sometimes I worry about how much this hinders me because too many people seem lazy in trying to pronounce it. Nowadays I go by a one-syllable nickname that derives from my first name, and hope that helps better on CVs. I haven't yet gone as far as giving myself a totally western name, which i know some people from certain countires do, but sometimes I wonder if it's worth it for making it easier to get jobs.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
(Original post by dvilia)
Your name is part of you, if you want to change it, you will have to change something about your self as well and it may be very uncomfortable as your brain is already used to it. It is not that easy as well.
(Original post by tehFrance)
I'd never change my name for a job, that's outrageous.
(Original post by Kruz)
My first name is foreign but I've got an English surname. I wouldn't change mine, I'd only change it if it's very strong.
(Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE)
I took off one of my names for my examinations board. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by Mauryan)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by Exon)
Depends on the job. It would have to be something extremely lucrative for me to even consider it. You could always change your name back afterwards

Even then, I'd consider it a nickname :P
(Original post by 1st Love)
It's a funny thing, your name.

I have changed my name (both first and last name), and I have to say, it only took me a month to get use to it. I wouldn't mind changing it again, because for me now, my name isn't that important to me.

So I guess you can say that although your name is important to you, after you change it once, it becomes way less important. And no, I don't feel like I have lost a sense of identity or anything. If it means securing a good job, then I'd definitely do it.
Thanks for your opinions. How old are you and are you currently employed? If you are not employed, have you applied for many jobs before?

Will sound obvious given the OP/title, but just to double-check, you have foreign/ethnic names right?
username912610
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Thanks for your opinions. How old are you and are you currently employed? If you are not employed, have you applied for many jobs before?

Will sound obvious given the OP/title, but just to double-check, you have foreign/ethnic names right?
Yeah I'm currently employed people in work just call me by my nickname so it's quite nice, yeah I have a foreign first name but my last is quite English, basically my last name is "Johnson"
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
All my names (first, middle and surname) are foreign. My full first name in particular is quite long and 5 syllables, so sometimes I worry about how much this hinders me because too many people seem lazy in trying to pronounce it. Nowadays I go by a one-syllable nickname that derives from my first name, and hope that helps better on CVs.
It definitely helps. I know the laws enforce equality but you have to be realistic, people are going to be lazy or different with their own assumptions in their heads. I just got off the phone today and I'm glad I used my nickname (it was an informal chat and this convo actually came up). It definitely helps.

I haven't yet gone as far as giving myself a totally western name, which i know some people from certain countires do, but sometimes I wonder if it's worth it for making it easier to get jobs.
Yeah I hear about a lot of people that settle here decide to change theirs more so than the ones that were born here but their parents or grandparents were not.

Also been reading a lot of articles about how people decided to change their names after trying a little experiment by using fake names first to see if it makes a difference.

I have been wondering the same for a long time now i.e., if it's worth it to make things easier in the job market. Let's face it, it's incredibly tough right now in terms of the number of people apply for one job...
James CC
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

19, student and unemployed. Studying is my full time job
I've applied for 3 jobs, and all of them have rejected me with a polite email.

And yea, I HAD an ethnic name. Not anymore, since I changed it.
Exon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

If by ethnic you mean not British then yes.

I'm 18 and unemployed. I study :P
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1st Love)
19, student and unemployed. Studying is my full time job
I've applied for 3 jobs, and all of them have rejected me with a polite email.

And yea, I HAD an ethnic name. Not anymore, since I changed it.
(Original post by Exon)
If by ethnic you mean not British then yes.

I'm 18 and unemployed. I study :P
Alright cool, thanks. Yeah sorry, non-British names I mean.

@1st Love, have you applied for any jobs since changing your name? Whereabouts are you in your academic life - at uni or college?
weirdnessandcoffee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't have a British name. I don't think I would change my name as I would hate to work for a company who discriminate on names.
nic-nac
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why do this when there's news reports saying that some employers prefer to recruit foreigners because theyre more likely to be willing to work for/close to the minimum wage. Or are you talking about more professional jobs?
James CC
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Alright cool, thanks. Yeah sorry, non-British names I mean.

@1st Love, have you applied for any jobs since changing your name? Whereabouts are you in your academic life - at uni or college?
Yea I only applied for my jobs AFTER I changed my name. I never applied for any jobs whilst I had my ethnic name.

I'm currently a second year at university, and looking for a job to fill in my spare time.

Recently I got through to an interview to be a tutor thing for my classes at university because I got high marks. My friends (which DO have ethnic names) did not get an interview, even though their grades were higher.
Maybe it's because of their ethnic names? Maybe not, we shouldn't jump to conclusions too quickly. Maybe I just wrote a better paragraph on the "Why I think I would make a good tutor" section of my application.

Hopefully I get the job (my interview didn't go too badly, but it was my first job interview ever), and looking at the people around me, I was the only ethnic minority person there.

I'm in New Zealand by the way, but everything here is pretty much the same as the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (95)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.17%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.88%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
29.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed