The Student Room Group

Disappointing I/GCSE Results... :/

Got my I/GCSE results today, but they were hardly top-notch...

A* - German (GCSE), Maths(IGCSE), English Literature (IGCSE), English Language (IGCSE)
A - Physics (IGCSE), RS (GCSE), Geography (IGCSE), Latin (GCSE)
B - Biology (IGCSE), Chemistry (IGCSE)

I am 2 marks off an A in Biology, so I'm having that remarked.
I am 1 mark off an A* in Physics, so I'm having that remarked, too.
I am 4 marks off an A in Chemistry, but I don't think they could find another 4 marks, and for £36 per remark it's hardly worth it.

I go to a school where getting 7A*s and 3 As is around average, but I have fallen far below this.
I am going to study Government & Politics, Economics, Maths and Geography at A-Level (and of course I want, and need, AAAA there) with a plan to studying PPE at Oxford University.

My parents are very disappointed in my results, we are not celebrating, in fact I have had two lengthy conversations with them, through which I cried - not exactly a fun day.

Worst is, my mum is the one paying for my education, with a bit of input from my dad to make up what my mum doesn't quite cover - they have spent over £75,000 over these 5 years, and now I have, as they say, "pissed it all away".

I know I need to apply myself more in my A-Levels, and I'm ready to do that. It is my parents' belief, and to a degree, mine, that the main factor of my underachievement was that I acquired a boyfriend in February, and we talked to each other every night, and met up every week, sometimes twice a week or more. I know I need to strike a balance now that I am in Sixth Form, but I have still screwed up my GCSEs :frown:

What do you make of this situation?
Will my poor results demolish my chances of getting into Oxford, and on such a competitive course?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Dissapointed? Really!

Universities look at A levels, personal statements, work experience etc

Gcse results aren't all that, look at threads about people complaining about As results despite getting 12 A* etc

Just revise thoroughly for A levels, massive step up
Both you and your parents need a serious reality check (if you're not a troll).
Original post by AnomEllie

A* - German (GCSE), Maths(IGCSE), English Literature (IGCSE), English Language (IGCSE)

I am 4 marks off an A in Chemistry, but I don't think they could find another 4 marks, and for £36 per remark it's hardly worth it.

I go to a school where getting 7A*s and 3 As is around average, but I have fallen far below this.
I am going to study Government & Politics, Economics, Maths and Geography at A-Level (and of course I want, and need, AAAA there) with a plan to studying PPE at Oxford University.

My parents are very disappointed in my results, we are not celebrating, in fact I have had two lengthy conversations with them, through which I cried - not exactly a fun day.

Worst is, my mum is the one paying for my education, with a bit of input from my dad to make up what my mum doesn't quite cover - they have spent over £75,000 over these 5 years, and now I have, as they say, "pissed it all away".

I know I need to apply myself more in my A-Levels, and I'm ready to do that. It is my parents' belief, and to a degree, mine, that the main factor of my underachievement was that I acquired a boyfriend in February, and we talked to each other every night, and met up every week, sometimes twice a week or more. I know I need to strike a balance now that I am in Sixth Form, but I have still screwed up my GCSEs :frown:

Will my poor results demolish my chances of getting into Oxford, and on such a competitive course?

Hi there,

I too have kinda been disappointed with my results - even though they are higher than average, in terms of what most people get at my school, I'm a tad below par (and I too have Oxbridge ambitions). What you've got to do now is just wait it out for the remarks but at the same time really devote yourself to your AS levels now. Good AS grades can more than make up for sub-par GCSE grades.

No doubt, candidates with 7A*+ will certainly have an advantage but that doesn't mean you will automatically get rejected. If you're wondering if having a boyfriend will have affected your performance or concentration, I can guess that maybe it did...but at the same time maybe it didn't, I'm not really in any position to say so :tongue: As long as you've learned that when it really matters (i.e. the follow-up to exams) you've really got to put your revision and study first (especially with ambitions such as the ones you have).

But hey, you can always take something good from this! At least you've realised now how it feels to not get the results you want and hopefully you can and will do anything to avoid having that feeling again!

I hope this helped and good luck with your re-marks! :goodluck::crossedf:
Reply 4
Original post by niceguy95
Dissapointed? Really!

Universities look at A levels, personal statements, work experience etc

Gcse results aren't all that, look at threads about people complaining about As results despite getting 12 A* etc

Just revise thoroughly for A levels, massive step up

I suppose so, I just need my parents to understand that...

But A-Levels are fundamentally difficult, and although I chose subjects that play to the best of my abilities (being reasoning and strong capability to express myself in writing and verbally) I still fear that I may not achieve the grades I MUST achieve...
those are fine GCSES

as soon as you get to uni people dont give a toss about your exam grades at both alevel and gcse

you got what you got, its not worth worrying about, it is what it is im sure you tried your best

in terms of getting into uni it will be fine, as your alevel grades are what really matter

onwards and upwards, take control of your own life and dont let your parents kill your confidence
Reply 6
I suppose so, I just need my parents to understand that...

But A-Levels are fundamentally difficult, and although I chose subjects that play to the best of my abilities (being reasoning and strong capability to express myself in writing and verbally) I still fear that I may not achieve the grades I MUST achieve...

Believe me, your work ethic changes once you get to AS and A2, a lot. Don't take your GCSE grades as being a reflection of what you'll get in a year's time; a lot of people in my year who felt they slipped up at GCSE did great during their AS, getting 3 or 4 A grades. Likewise, people who did well at GCSE became complacent and didn't do enough to keep to their previous high standards [I nearly fell victim to this]. Besides, you only got 2 Bs, so even if you didn't get 7A*s at least you got that many As/A*s
Reply 7
I still fear that I may not achieve the grades I MUST achieve...

You must achieve??
Reply 8
Original post by Tabzqt
You must achieve??

If I don't achieve, then my parents, who have put so much money into my education (I have 3 younger brothers, the eldest is at a public school too, and the next one will be going to a public school next year - that's 3 sets of school fees to pay).
Reply 9
What's wrong with going to a regular sixth form if your parents are so bothered about the wasted money? Let's be honest here, it's not worth the money. I've done perfect fine up until now (about to start A2).
I got A*-RE and English Language
a-Maths. Chemistry, , Geography , History, German , French, English Literatuture,
b-Physics
I feel like I've underperformed. I'm one of the cleverest people in my year, but the result just isn't good enough. I was considering retaking/marking my German, Bio, Lit, French and Physics. Is there much point?
If I don't achieve, then my parents, who have put so much money into my education (I have 3 younger brothers, the eldest is at a public school too, and the next one will be going to a public school next year - that's 3 sets of school fees to pay).

Your results are still good. It was their choice to put so much money into your education; presumably they can afford it if they are willing to pay for all of you. It isn't fair to put so much pressure on you.

There are plenty of good alternatives to Oxford. You did well - relax.

Trust me, my parents are just like yours, remarks are worth it, trust me. They're over demanding but you should use this as a learning curve for a levels.
Reply 13
just wanted to ask
what did they spend 75,000 on?

u got those good A* and As???
and ur parents were complaining??????

i got only 6 gcse's double scie , maths eng geo history

and ended up with ABB in as level bio chem ict

anything is possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Are you kidding? They're amazing O_o I'd love to have results like them
Reply 15
Original post by Chodester696969
I got A*-RE and English Language
a-Maths. Chemistry, , Geography , History, German , French, English Literatuture,
b-Physics
I feel like I've underperformed. I'm one of the cleverest people in my year, but the result just isn't good enough. I was considering retaking/marking my German, Bio, Lit, French and Physics. Is there much point?

For my board at least, the cost of remarking is pretty high (£36 per subject) so having all of those remarked would cost you almost £200... And it's just a gamble.
Seriously, you are worried about those grades? I got 2 A*s 6As 2Bs at GCSE and at A-level A*AAA. Now I am going to Imperial College (I did get an interview at Cambridge but ahh well).

In truth, unless you are doing medicine/law GCSEs are far less of a factor than you imagine. They are also a poor indicator of how you will achieve at A-level in my opinion. I have seen candidates with 10A*s at GCSE crash simply because they underestimate the pressure of A-level. The key for you is to play to your successful subjects, and try and work hard.
Reply 17
You and your parents need your heads banging together.
Reply 18

You can only try your best, that's all you can do. If you do try your best and they are still disappointed they are bad parents.

Quick Reply

Latest