The Student Room Group

Bad GCSE but want to study law

I got 7Bs 2A*s and 1C at GCSE

3As and 1B at AS level

Would I stand a chance of applying to Warwick Bristol Nottingham York Leicester Exeter for law? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
You're GCSE's aren't bad. Neither are you A levels- they're actually fantastic.

Those are good universities, I would say you have a chance. I think people's chances quiver when they look at the top top 10/5. (Like me, also wanting to do law next year) :smile:
Original post by Emmanuel16

3As and 1B and AS level

Would I stand a chance of applying to Warwick Bristol Nottingham York Leicester Exeter for law? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got very similar results in both GCSE's and AS Level. I put the work in and got AAB at A2, and am now preparing to study Law at Cardiff.

Don't be discouraged. Those are good grades and most Uni's you have listed will at least consider making you an offer. I got offers from Cardiff (AAB), Birmingham and Newcastle (Both AAA) and the University of Law (ABB). The only one that turned me down was Cambridge (A*AA), but it won't hurt to apply there if you feel it will help you put the extra effort in next June.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies, I think when people apply to certain universities they second guess themselves a lot, and good luck at Cardiff KeeleyObsessed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
You're GCSE's aren't bad. Neither are you A levels- they're actually fantastic.

Those are good universities, I would say you have a chance. I think people's chances quiver when they look at the top top 10/5. (Like me, also wanting to do law next year) :smile:

Where do you want to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done, those are impressive AS grades. I'd say you had a pretty good chance - but you would be best asking them how much importance they place on GCSEs. Maybe also include one less aspirational choice too as a safety net. Otherwise, if your A2s go well, there's always adjustment.
I want to go into law in a few years, and those are fantastic A levels, and the GCSE's aren't bad, they're quite good so I think you'd have a good shot.
I think Uni's are more interested in A levels, but if it comes down to it where all the candidates have good A levels like yours the GCSE's may be brought in to help them decide
Where do you want to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hoping to go to SOAS as my firm, insurance would be Queen Mary (still debating that one). Other than that my choices so far are SOAS, Queen Mary, Kings (subject to change), City and haven't thought of a fifth. I need to discuss it all with my teachers so I'm not doing a big gamble on any.

Wanted to apply to the top 5, decided against it.

Where exactly are you wanting to go?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8

3As and 1B at AS level

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have similar GCSE's except I got 3Bs and 1A at AS Level. I received offers from York, Exeter and Warwick. So I'm sure that you should be able to receive an offer from at least one of them as well.

Universities look more at AS levels anyway. However Nottingham do state on their website the want a strong academic GCSE profile of A/A" grades so you might want to apply there as an 'ambitious' uni.

Also Bristol use a weights/points system. Where they give you a score for your GCSE results, AS Results, Statement and LNAT before they hand out offers. (It's on their website). The higher the score the more likely it is you get an offer. All you need now is a good statement
Reply 9
Hoping to go to SOAS as my firm, insurance would be Queen Mary (still debating that one). Other than that my choices so far are SOAS, Queen Mary, Kings (subject to change), City and haven't thought of a fifth. I need to discuss it all with my teachers so I'm not doing a big gamble on any.

Wanted to apply to the top 5, decided against it.

Where exactly are you wanting to go?

I'm also going to talk to teachers as they know best and have been through the process with other students, my five choices are hopefully going to be Warwick York Exeter Leicester, but I'm not sure whether to apply for Nottingham and Bristol due to my grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm also going to talk to teachers as they know best and have been through the process with other students, my five choices are hopefully going to be Warwick York Exeter Leicester, but I'm not sure whether to apply for Nottingham and Bristol due to my grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they know best. I'm also waiting to meet with teachers and discuss it. I can't really speak for the unis, but I'm sure you'll do fine!
Reply 11
Original post by Alex360
We have similar GCSE's except I got 3Bs and 1A at AS Level. I received offers from York, Exeter and Warwick. So I'm sure that you should be able to receive an offer from at least one of them as well.

Universities look more at AS levels anyway. However Nottingham do state on their website the want a strong academic GCSE profile of A/A" grades so you might want to apply there as an 'ambitious' uni.

Also Bristol use a weights/points system. Where they give you a score for your GCSE results, AS Results, Statement and LNAT before they hand out offers. (It's on their website). The higher the score the more likely it is you get an offer. All you need now is a good statement

Finally someone who has similar GCSEs to me and yeah I understand how competitive Nottingham and Bristol are, if I do apply there I recognise it'll be a stuff wait, the unis you went to give me hope as I am applying to similar unis with similar GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Yeah they know best. I'm also waiting to meet with teachers and discuss it. I can't really speak for the unis, but I'm sure you'll do fine!

Thanks, good luck to you too and with the LNAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending