The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Hannibal Lecter
Only then can we have a more fair, just and equal society.

From lawyer to binman, everyone should earn the same average wage. This would get rid of notions of 'class' if the binman could afford the same things as the lawyer or doctor.

This is a fantastic idea and it should be implemented, hopefully a party with guts will do it one day.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
most retarded thread i've seen on TSR so far.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Martyn*
There wouldn't be much incentive for anyone to work up to higher positions, and those already in high positions will not like the fact that they are getting paid the same rate of pay to someone lower down the ladder with less responsibilities. That is the wrong angle anyway. We should be reducing the working week, but keeping wages to a level that will allow a decent standard of living. Everyone works the same amount of hours. The rate of pay will be decided upon assessment of the job. A harder job, better pay. More responsibilities, better pay. This will mean that people will still be able to climb the ladder without feeling that their life is being wasted away because they have little free time. And they will be able to get more pay as well.

We already have a working time directive. Forcing everyone to work the same hours is ridiculous, what if someone wants to put in the extra hours because they want the extra money/enjoy the job? Further what would these optimum no of hours be? Some people work harder than others, some are more productive in the same time, some enjoy the same work more than others, it is these differences that ultimately drive competition and reward more hardworking/efficient/productive people.
Ok, while you guys work, I'll get a low-end job and not pull my weight - pay for nothing? Fine by me!
Reply 44
Original post by CoolRunner
Fundamentally, I think this is a good idea but the downside is who is going to bother to pay for training (to get a better job position) if everyone gets the same pay?

training would be free and there would be less cons and cheats

From lawyer to binman, everyone should earn the same average wage. This would get rid of notions of 'class' if the binman could afford the same things as the lawyer or doctor.

This is a fantastic idea and it should be implemented, hopefully a party with guts will do it one day.

Let me guess - you're a right-winger and are satirizing communism?

A good idea but poorly executed.

I don't get all the rage against communism nowadays. It's hardly a threat is it? This isn't 1948.
Reply 46
You're a Communist!
Reply 47
Original post by Will95206
What you are describing is a Marxist state. No it would not be good for society. Equality of Outcome is bad as it, rewards laziness and diminished the labour work effort. i.e Hard working people get the same wages as a lazy worker. A better system would be to have 'Equality of Opportunity' where everyone gets a fair chance and people are not reward for turning up but instead wages based on their own individual merit. That would be a fairer society than the Marxist/Communit one you desire.

Btw if u want a UK political party which endorses same wages for everyone then I would recommend any Communist Party or the SWP.:smile:

people are exploited by the owners.At the end of the day,everyone still has more or less the same pay because owners don't want to give you their money.The 'earn more' illusion is made up by them to exploit you
Reply 48
Original post by wildrover
Good idea I think I'll become lollypop man, only work 2 hours a day and have loads of holidays.

obviusly this organisation would mean only real jobs are paid

Lenin is that you?
Reply 50
Original post by OedipusTheKing
:rolleyes: But it is the main motivator for most people, and if you asked the general public would you work for 3 years earning a law degree to earn the same as a binman at the end, they would fanatically shout 'No!'. Effort = reward; without reward people do not put in the effort.

and they will still earn more or less the same as the bin man(if the bin man works full hours).It's capitalism,owners exploit people who work for them
Reply 51
Original post by Davelittle
No one would strive to improve themselves and therefore society would stagnate and begin to crumble

and no one would exploit people who work for them for money and no one would create cons and cheats

How about the communist party. I don't quite understand what the word average means in this sentence. Is this so it can change within your life but the averages are equal.
**** off, I worked hard to get into medicine. I don't want some chavvy school dropout getting the same wage as me.
Reply 54
Original post by OedipusTheKing

(2) And you don't think everybody is on the look out for these jobs? Law is a safer profession inasmuch as it will always have a reasonable level of recruitment.

16k a year with the dazzling prospect of rising to 30 over time? Yeah, everyone's desperate for them.

Criminal law's woefully paid and not even that secure these days, the reason people do it is for the challenge and because they enjoy it.

Original post by AreebWithaHat
**** off, I worked hard to get into medicine. I don't want some chavvy school dropout getting the same wage as me.

But a non chavvy school drop out? My mate's on a 30k a year trust fund, tax free, as is his brother who left school at 16 and has done nothing since, they could probably get that to rise to 60 odd if they asked. OP's suggestion wouldn't be fair, but then neither is the current system particularly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 55

if you talk about fairness and that effort should be paid more,then people who put their life for the job(soldiers,miners) should be paid even more
Reply 56
The kind of wage and class equality you are looking for will not be viable until we a) become a post-scarcity, post-capitalist society; and b) change from a monetary system to a resource based economic system.

I agree.

I think gifting same opportunities as everyone else should be fair, but if you can't work for those opportunities then it should go for someone who is willing to work. I don't want to spend 5 years in Uni on Lawyer or something and know that a person in Mcdonalds who only works twice a week gets the same amount as me.,
Reply 58
No. I did fairly well in secondary school and I'm doing fairly well at sixth form. I don't want the mugs from my secondary school who got 0 GCSE's earning the same as me. They don't deserve it. Maybe book a one way flight to Shanghai?
Reply 59
Original post by KratoSilVieres
I agree.

I think gifting same opportunities as everyone else should be fair, but if you can't work for those opportunities then it should go for someone who is willing to work. I don't want to spend 5 years in Uni on Lawyer or something and know that a person in Mcdonalds who only works twice a week gets the same amount as me.,

of course everyone would work the same time

Latest

Trending

Trending