The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As a smug bastard, nothing.
Reply 2
just leave them be....anything you say or do will just provoke them.
Anonymous
What can I do/say that's not hurtful or rude but strikes a nice subtle blow to know-it-alls, smug people etc?

The greatest weapon against the know-it-all is the witty remark. Subtlely undermining a know-it-all will deal heavy damage to their ego but it won't be a very obvious tactic. I would warn you, however, that a good know-it-all will probably attempt to outdo your witty remark with one of his/her own. As a practised know-it-all myself, I know that if I continue to make clever replies to anything directed at me, I'm not going to lose face.
Reply 4
^That approach can be dangerous if you lose. The best (safest) strategy is to ignore them, its incredibly frustrating for them.
Reply 5
dont deal with them!
Reply 6
Anonymous
What can I do/say that's not hurtful or rude but strikes a nice subtle blow to know-it-alls, smug people etc?

shove them in a mincer! :biggrin:
Kernel
^That approach can be dangerous if you lose.

Well that's the thing, any self-respecting know-it-all will be able to make clever comebacks. If you can pull off undermining them, it's good, but otherwise ignoring a know-it-all will still be damaging to their ego.
My college is full of arrogant bastards who think they are God's gift to the Earth. Not saying they all are, but there are too bloody many of them. And they're not the most popular of people. Just ignore them.
Reply 9
*Red Phoenix*
shove them in a mincer! :biggrin:

now that would be quite funny :biggrin:...but dangerous mind you
#2(Laika)
now that would be quite funny :biggrin:...but dangerous mind you

ok maybe just the threat of being shoved in a mincer :biggrin:

blimey i sound really psychotic!
"Your flies are open. Ha! Made you look!"
I agree totally with Chumbaniya - wit is the way forward.

If, however, you cannot think of anything witty to say then here are a couple of suggestions:

Just smile and shake your head in despair when they act like they know everything. It'll make them look stupid.

Or, if they say something that you can criticise, say quite loudly with a really shocked voice, like it's the most blatently obvious thing in the world : "Well that's not right at all. It's obviously that..." Again, they will look stupid. :wink:

If they say something that's true say something like "well yeah, of course". As though their intelligence is overrated and really they are just stating the obvious. Then they will think/realise their smugness isn't justified.
Reply 13
*Red Phoenix*
ok maybe just the threat of being shoved in a mincer :biggrin:

blimey i sound really psychotic!

yeh cool...definitely just a threat :smile: ...physco:p:
#2(Laika)
yeh cool...definitely just a threat :smile: ...physco:p:

:ts: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Anonymous
My college is full of arrogant bastards who think they are God's gift to the Earth. Not saying they all are, but there are too bloody many of them.

Damn right there are too many - I'm the only one who is God's gift. :biggrin:
Chumbaniya
Damn right there are too many - I'm the only one who is God's gift. :biggrin:

Oh God!! You go aswell!! :biggrin:
Anonymous

Moan about it in an online forum. Oh, wait...
Reply 18
Wait until they start talking with there eyes closed and then punch them in the face! :p:
Out perform them??? It is normally the way to go.

Latest

Trending

Trending