The Student Room Group

Medicine Query...Please help I'm scared :/

So...my GCSEs grades didn't come out as planned.

I got

Biology b
chemistry a
physics a
history a
maths a
add maths b
ict c
r.e b
eng lit d
eng lang c
r.m c
spanish d

I worked really hard but I guess it just wasn't enough, I won't let this bring me down...I'll try my best at college, studying Bio, Chem, Maths and P.E

These are really bad in my opinion and am now seeking some advice. Hypothetically speaking, say I get amazing A level grades perhaps all As/A*s, can I still do medicine? I don't believe I need to change my work ethic I worked really hard, revising everyday and consolidating over classwork as soon as I got home...I just need to do better if that makes sense?

I understand it depends on the Uni, I'm looking for a uni within london or not very far outside it i.e Kings, UCL, Imperial, Kingston...but will my GCSEs affect me too much?
Reply 1
And I didn't take P.E at GCSE but it's fine according to my college
Reply 2
It really all depends on the Uni. Check out the TSR Medicine Wiki to see a list of the minimum GCSE grades a Uni wants. Some Uni's want a minimum of 8A*'s, others lower. However, if you apply to the right Uni's who don't weigh GCSE grades as heavily as others and you have good grades at A level and a good PS, with relevant work experience etc, then yes. I'd say there is definitely potential you can still get into a Uni to study Medicine. I'm kinda in the same position as you, just finished my GCSE's and got 1A*, 7A and 2B's so I'm not entirely sure.

Hope everything works out, congratulations on your results :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Veqz
It really all depends on the Uni. Check out the TSR Medicine Wiki to see a list of the minimum GCSE grades a Uni wants. Some Uni's want a minimum of 8A*'s, others lower. However, if you apply to the right Uni's who don't weigh GCSE grades as heavily as others and you have good grades at A level and a good PS, with relevant work experience etc, then yes. I'd say there is definitely potential you can still get into a Uni to study Medicine. I'm kinda in the same position as you, just finished my GCSE's and got 1A*, 7A and 2B's so I'm not entirely sure.

Hope everything works out, congratulations on your results :smile:

hey, i got similar GCSE's to you - 1A* 8As and 2Bs

i'm off to study dentistry next month. i know the course isn't the same but entry requirements are IDENTICAL for most uni's (except Oxbridge) and so i reckon you'll be fine. just chose wisely because some uni's place a larger emphasis on GCSEs e.g. Oxbridge and Birmingham, than others
Reply 4
Original post by V95
hey, i got similar GCSE's to you - 1A* 8As and 2Bs

i'm off to study dentistry next month. i know the course isn't the same but entry requirements are IDENTICAL for most uni's (except Oxbridge) and so i reckon you'll be fine. just chose wisely because some uni's place a larger emphasis on GCSEs e.g. Oxbridge and Birmingham, than others

Awesome! Hope it goes well for you :smile:
That should be okay if you apply wisely.

Why P.E? :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest