The Student Room Group

Is age any concern?

Hi

Iam a just beginning my Degree, and by the time I will complete this, assuming I intercalate as expected, I will be 35.
Do any you current Doctors believe my age will hamper in any way my foundation and speciality application prospects? It's very early days I know, but my ambition at the moment is to progress into neurosurgery.

This maybe a silly question. :confused:

I would be 43 ish, by the time I complete my surgical CCT, and then be looking to secure a consultant position.

Thanks everyone
I'm 46 and entering 3rd year! You are but a youngster, comparatively. Don;t think about anything hindering me. I got in at 44, still there and will achieve what I set out to - to be a Dr. MY specialty choices are likely to be unpopular anyway as I tend to like the stuff and have a forte for the subjects that others tend to hate!

Good luck, you will be fine I'm sure! Have faith! :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by AZ1234
Hi

Iam a just beginning my Degree, and by the time I will complete this, assuming I intercalate as expected, I will be 35.
Do any you current Doctors believe my age will hamper in any way my foundation and speciality application prospects? It's very early days I know, but my ambition at the moment is to progress into neurosurgery.

This maybe a silly question. :confused:

I would be 43 ish, by the time I complete my surgical CCT, and then be looking to secure a consultant position.

Thanks everyone

I see no reason why your age would matter. However, I very much doubt you'll be a consultant neurosurgeon by the age of 43.
Reply 3
Original post by Helenia
I see no reason why your age would matter. However, I very much doubt you'll be a consultant neurosurgeon by the age of 43.

I may not secure a post by 43, but I should have completed my CCT by 43, barring any additional research time out. Have I missed anything else? Why do do you think 43 is unrealistic?

Edit: Should read 45 ish didn't add in the foundation 2 years! Any reasn why 45 isnt achievable? I know this is all a long way off yet!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AZ1234
I may not secure a post by 43, but I should have completed my CCT by 43, barring any additional research time out. Have I missed anything else? Why do do you think 43 is unrealistic?

Edit: Should read 45 ish didn't add in the foundation 2 years! Any reasn why 45 isnt achievable? I know this is all a long way off yet!

Getting into neurosurgery is very competitive with many people taking at least a couple of years in research or fixed term posts before being successful, so don't bank on progressing straight from F2 to a neurosurgery training program.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by AZ1234

45 is the absolute minimum, as you have now realised. As CC says, it's a very competitive programme to get into, and from what I can tell, taking extra time for research and/or subspecialty fellowships is the norm.

And then, of course, most med students who say they want to be neurosurgeons change their minds... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
And then, of course, most med students who say they want to be neurosurgeons change their minds... :wink:

Thats very true!
Unless my mind does dramatically alter from now until speciality training, I will get into neurosurgery!
I fully realise how incredibly competitive the field is, with many excellent candidates, that is why Iam focused on making my portfolio standout and be as strong as possible. Which means starting from this early stage.

Thanks for the words of advice, glad that my age doesn't appear to be an issue at all.

Thanks
Original post by AZ1234

Thats very true!
Unless my mind does dramatically alter from now until speciality training, I will get into neurosurgery!
I fully realise how incredibly competitive the field is, with many excellent candidates, that is why Iam focused on making my portfolio standout and be as strong as possible. Which means starting from this early stage.

Thanks for the words of advice, glad that my age doesn't appear to be an issue at all.

Thanks

I'm curious - what makes you so certain about your choice of speciality at such an early stage in your medical career?
Reply 8
Side note, there's a lady in my year (2nd year in Sept), who's, I believe is 50 (word of mouth.). If she's doing it, don't see why you can't :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest