The Student Room Group

Graduate - letters after name

When graduating from UCL or King's College Lodon, for example, with a BSc would the parenthesized letters be:

BSc (UCL) and BSc (AKC) / BSc (KCL)

OR would they be
BSc (Lond) for both KCL and UCL?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It would just be BSc. Nothing else. You don't get extra letters for going to a specific university. Plus a lot of people don't even bother putting them on after their name.
Reply 2
But it is cool to have something like Cantab, Oxon or Exon attached to you... Exon warrior 4 lyf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Kre
It would just be BSc. Nothing else. You don't get extra letters for going to a specific university. Plus a lot of people don't even bother putting them on after their name.

You do, they're called post-nominal letters e.g. Oxon, Cantab, Lond, Dunelm, etc.

That said, KCL and UCL no longer award University of London degrees so I don't think their graduates would be able to claim the UofL's post-nominal letters either...
Reply 4
Original post by Kre

Specsavers staff do
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy
You do, they're called post-nominal letters e.g. Oxon, Cantab, Lond, Dunelm, etc.

That said, KCL and UCL no longer award University of London degrees so I don't think their graduates would be able to claim the UofL's post-nominal letters either...

Really? I don't think I've ever seen it written down but I'll take your word.
Reply 6
Louise Elizabeth Charlotte Ord BSc (Exon) sounds so cool

Sorry, I realise I'm not actually contributing to this discussion...

Our old head teacher at sixth form had Cantab on the sign leading into the school :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Kre

You do. Some, such as Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and Exeter use Latin post-nominals. I'm BA Hons (Dunelm).

Problem is few laymen know what Dunelm is, and it's a bit pretentious to use them anyway. Especially with just a BA and in a non-academic context.
Reply 8
Just sayin, I believe AKC is a separate set, not descriptive of a Bachelor's
Reply 9
Original post by Kre
Really? I don't think I've ever seen it written down but I'll take your word.

Just google Dunelm, Cantab or Oxon.

For example,

Sean Harte BA (Hons) (Dunelm), MA (Dunelm).

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/sean-harte-ba-hons-dunelm-ma-dunelm/71/603/109

Or most academic staff listings, where it's common to find their alma maters listed after their degrees.
Reply 10
surely you wouldn't even bother if it was just a BSc? Would it not make you look desperate?
Original post by excal9
surely you wouldn't even bother if it was just a BSc? Would it not make you look desperate?

I don't think it looks desperate at all.
Obviously if you went around introducing yourself to passers-by as Mr Frederick Grindlewald MA (Cantab) BSc (Hons) (Oxon) DipABRSM, then that's a bit weird.
But, for example, it can be of genuine use to clients to be able to see on business cards et c. whether the member of staff they are dealing with has a bachelor's degree (and any others).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
Obviously if you went around introducing yourself to passers-by as Mr Frederick Grindlewald MA (Cantab) BSc (Hons) (Oxon) DipABRSM, then that's a bit weird.

That's what i was referring to ^^
Original post by hslakaal
Just sayin, I believe AKC is a separate set, not descriptive of a Bachelor's

AKC =Associate of King's College.

In many ways it is the most distinctive of all undergraduate qualifications. I would strongly recommend anyone attending King's to do it. People who have it are normally very proud of it. I recently saw a CV for a consultant surgeon, but his AKC had pride of place.
Reply 14
Original post by nulli tertius
AKC =Associate of King's College.

In many ways it is the most distinctive of all undergraduate qualifications. I would strongly recommend anyone attending King's to do it. People who have it are normally very proud of it. I recently saw a CV for a consultant surgeon, but his AKC had pride of place.

Yeah, I'm doing it... though pretty much everyone I know who are doing it just do it for the extra set of letters, and no one's really proud about it to the extent that they brag. We really joke about it. Not sure whether you're at King's but honestly, everyone just jokes about it.

In all honesty, it takes no effort. Resitting if you failed is to write an essay at home over the summer and submitting it.
Original post by hslakaal
Yeah, I'm doing it... though pretty much everyone I know who are doing it just do it for the extra set of letters, and no one's really proud about it to the extent that they brag. We really joke about it. Not sure whether you're at King's but honestly, everyone just jokes about it.

In all honesty, it takes no effort. Resitting if you failed is to write an essay at home over the summer and submitting it.

With respect, teenagers and people in the early 20s joke about it. Folk in their 40s and upwards seem to treasure it. I am not a KCL graduate but I see enough older graduates who are, that I strongly recommend that anyone with the opportunity takes it.
Reply 16
Original post by nulli tertius
With respect, teenagers and people in the early 20s joke about it. Folk in their 40s and upwards seem to treasure it. I am not a KCL graduate but I see enough older graduates who are, that I strongly recommend that anyone with the opportunity takes it.

Meh. I'd say take it since it's free. Why give up on free letters :colone:

Don't think I'd ever be proud of it. Pretty much a pointless course. No need to go to a single session at all. Just sit an hour and half exam.
If your future employer, hslakaal asks you what the AKC is for and you give the answer 'It was nothing really, I just wanted the letters' Then expect to leave to the interview soon. Conversely, if you want to give a convincing spiel, why not just put some effort into the AKC?

I was one of those who did it in the 80s when it was - in formal terms - less rigorous than it is now. But I am proud of it and found it useful because it gave my education some breadth; and if you're getting a course for free, I see no merit in not putting some application to it. There aren't many things for free at uni these days.

I joked about all sorts of things as an undergraduate that I took seriously then, and take more seriously now. No-one wants to look earnest. But it was useful, alright, and I'm not alone in thinking that amongst my contemporaries.

Incidentally, I strongly recommend the AKC for lawyers. When it comes to jurisprudence, to have some idea of how moral theories are put together is essential. Some people go into a flat spin with JP - the AKC is a very useful way of giving you a soft landing. It also proved useful when I recently did a Masters in medical ethics and law at King's.
Reply 18
Original post by Stychomythia
If your future employer, hslakaal asks you what the AKC is for and you give the answer 'It was nothing really, I just wanted the letters' Then expect to leave to the interview soon. Conversely, if you want to give a convincing spiel, why not just put some effort into the AKC?

I was one of those who did it in the 80s when it was - in formal terms - less rigorous than it is now. But I am proud of it and found it useful because it gave my education some breadth; and if you're getting a course for free, I see no merit in not putting some application to it. There aren't many things for free at uni these days.

I joked about all sorts of things as an undergraduate that I took seriously then, and take more seriously now. No-one wants to look earnest. But it was useful, alright, and I'm not alone in thinking that amongst my contemporaries.

Incidentally, I strongly recommend the AKC for lawyers. When it comes to jurisprudence, to have some idea of how moral theories are put together is essential. Some people go into a flat spin with JP - the AKC is a very useful way of giving you a soft landing. It also proved useful when I recently did a Masters in medical ethics and law at King's.

Of course, I'm not gonna say "I did it for no reason" in my interview or CV. Let's be honest, people hype up even the smallest things/achievements to pad up their resumes, and highlight their "best" qualities in interviews.

Yes, the AKC is interesting, but I still wouldn't consider it a very thorough or detailed course. Perhaps more of an introduction to ethics/religion. If I were to be an employer, I would dismiss it as being rather pointless, and wouldn't particularly give it a candidate more credit than someone who doens't have the AKC. Of course, not many would know how ridiculously stupid and simple the course is, and hence why I'm doing it (again, let's not forget it literally is an impossible thing to fail - resits are done open-book at home). Perhaps it's because I've come from a more broad-minded/cultural background where I've already read/seen different religions, and the stuff they teach aren't that ground-breaking.
Using the letters perhaps on a CV where your degree is relevant is one thing. Updating your Facebook name to include them is another.

I love it every July after graduation where everyone adds "BSc (Hons)/BA (Hons)" to their profile. Lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending