The Student Room Group

GCSE Madness!!

Hey guys I'm Debbie now im in year 11 now just going into year 11 in September I'm fine with all my subjects but 2. Triple science (ugh) and MATHS (ewwwww) but I really need help with these subjects especially physics more out of the science. The thing is I really want to be a doctor (paediatrician to be precise) and I know I have to really buck up with these subjects so I really need help. My parents can't afford a tutor but I have bought the cgp books for every of those subjects and I just don't know where to begin cos whenever we do test I just seem to always get a low mark and it's not cos I don't revise it's because I recise but it just doesn't get into my head. Arghhh please help!!!! If anyone did triple science and struggled with it how did you overcome and maths too!
Reply 1
I just finished year 11: I did triple and loved it, but sometimes found maths quite challenging but managed to come out with a solid A. For science I found the best thing was to first just read the cgp books, a few pages at a time, and marking down pages where there were things I knew I couldn't remember or didn't fully understand. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I remembered from just reading! :smile: Also past papers are really important! haha I know I sound like a teacher but it works :smile: if you are doing aqa, just go on their website and you can find them there :smile: I found physics harder than the other two sciences, and sometimes got confused, but luckily I had a few friends who are very talented in physics and explained it to me in a way I could understand. So if you know people who find the subjects easy, I am sure they will help if you just ask. And Bitesize also really simplifies some of the content. Also, you may have heard of the youtube channel MyGCSEscience? It was also some help when the exams we close as it was an alternative to just sitting and listening to teachers or stuck in my room staring at the awful jokes in the cgp book haha :P : http://www.youtube.com/user/myGCSEscience :h: Maths, I just did lots of past paper questions, used bitesize and has help from the people sitting around me in class :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Debbieabbaxx
Hey guys I'm Debbie now im in year 11 now just going into year 11 in September I'm fine with all my subjects but 2. Triple science (ugh) and MATHS (ewwwww) but I really need help with these subjects especially physics more out of the science. The thing is I really want to be a doctor (paediatrician to be precise) and I know I have to really buck up with these subjects so I really need help. My parents can't afford a tutor but I have bought the cgp books for every of those subjects and I just don't know where to begin cos whenever we do test I just seem to always get a low mark and it's not cos I don't revise it's because I recise but it just doesn't get into my head. Arghhh please help!!!! If anyone did triple science and struggled with it how did you overcome and maths too!

I did triple science too, I absolutely loved it. The benefit of doing triple as you know is that you get 3 GCSEs out of it and if you are looking to do something along the medical lines triple is really the option for you! Don't worry, I had a bit of a struggle with physics initially, but you'll find that once you devote a lot of time to physics things will click into place and start to make sense! At the beginning of the year I was getting Cs in practise papers and I have just got my results and come out with an A*! So don't let the tests hold you back.
As for me, I found that the revision guides were ideal because you can just go over and over it until it starts to make sense - you could try looking for a physics gcse workbook if that would help? Anyway, don't let your time worrying about physics take over the fact that to become a paediatrician you really need to be focussing on the biology and chemistry, if you are not interested in those two either then maybe re-think your career path:smile:
About the maths, practise practise practise! Past papers will help you in any subject, especially maths and sciences. Have a look on the exam board's website for practise papers.
Good luck with your exams and revision, if the reading of the book doesn't soak into your brain try writing it out in note form or in clear steps for a process to secure the knowledge!
Good luck again, hope to be of help:smile:
Reply 3
I thought this was a new course being offered by OCR:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by C6H12O6
I did triple science too, I absolutely loved it. The benefit of doing triple as you know is that you get 3 GCSEs out of it and if you are looking to do something along the medical lines triple is really the option for you! Don't worry, I had a bit of a struggle with physics initially, but you'll find that once you devote a lot of time to physics things will click into place and start to make sense! At the beginning of the year I was getting Cs in practise papers and I have just got my results and come out with an A*! So don't let the tests hold you back.
As for me, I found that the revision guides were ideal because you can just go over and over it until it starts to make sense - you could try looking for a physics gcse workbook if that would help? Anyway, don't let your time worrying about physics take over the fact that to become a paediatrician you really need to be focussing on the biology and chemistry, if you are not interested in those two either then maybe re-think your career path:smile:
About the maths, practise practise practise! Past papers will help you in any subject, especially maths and sciences. Have a look on the exam board's website for practise papers.
Good luck with your exams and revision, if the reading of the book doesn't soak into your brain try writing it out in note form or in clear steps for a process to secure the knowledge!
Good luck again, hope to be of help:smile:

Thank youuuu so much to everyone that replied it really helped getting advice and I can follow what you guys did too and the tips were just so helpful can't thank you it's enough so in summary it's just past papers for maths and all in all general asking of questions in class when I'm confused and for triple it's using the revision books and past papers as well and I'll try to engage more with my teachers and friends for help. Thanks again everybody! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by e_m_i_l_y
I just finished year 11: I did triple and loved it, but sometimes found maths quite challenging but managed to come out with a solid A. For science I found the best thing was to first just read the cgp books, a few pages at a time, and marking down pages where there were things I knew I couldn't remember or didn't fully understand. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I remembered from just reading! :smile: Also past papers are really important! haha I know I sound like a teacher but it works :smile: if you are doing aqa, just go on their website and you can find them there :smile: I found physics harder than the other two sciences, and sometimes got confused, but luckily I had a few friends who are very talented in physics and explained it to me in a way I could understand. So if you know people who find the subjects easy, I am sure they will help if you just ask. And Bitesize also really simplifies some of the content. Also, you may have heard of the youtube channel MyGCSEscience? It was also some help when the exams we close as it was an alternative to just sitting and listening to teachers or stuck in my room staring at the awful jokes in the cgp book haha :P : http://www.youtube.com/user/myGCSEscience :h: Maths, I just did lots of past paper questions, used bitesize and has help from the people sitting around me in class :smile:

thanks so much for thisd so helpful also the YouTuber is helpful too thanks alottttttt

I don't usually comment on things like this, but because you went out of your way and want to succeed, here's how I did 'relatively' well.

Firstly, you want to be organized. Don't clutter your notes with x at the front, and then the relating chapter halfway through or vice versa. Make sure it's coherent! All of it.

Secondly, you're going to want to learn the mark schemes for every and all science past papers you've seen. They're a tremendous help.
I didn't do triple, but I'm sure as hell I could wipe the floor with the test with my revision method.(I was predicted C's in Core & Add, you can guess what I got.)

Furthermore, with science, there's a tutor on YouTube called 'MyGCSEScience'. I couldn't afford a tutor either, so most of my tuition came from self study and the internet. Utilize the resources!

For Maths, I was predicted a B, came out with two A's.(lel, 1 in early sitting, the 2nd was because I didn't revise hard enough haha)

Maths is ALL PRACTICE.

I honestly don't care what people say.

You simply cannot revise maths for 1 hour in the week and do well.

It needs to be constant. On the ball. 30-90 minutes, everyday for around 2 months and you'll become a god.

MATHSWATCH, a tuition CD is also really helpful for learning concepts, and if you can't buy it. *cough* torrent.

Just so you know, I'd recommend doing volumes of complex shapes and lots of probability questions, because had I got those correct or answered them, I may have got the better grade after.
Anyhow, the internet has an abundance of mathematical knowledge, utilize it.

Ultimately, I just recommend you stay on the ball for all your subjects

You need to be there, on the grind, for 90 minutes, every damn day.

Good luck, all the best. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by MisterOrange
I don't usually comment on things like this, but because you went out of your way and want to succeed, here's how I did 'relatively' well.

Firstly, you want to be organized. Don't clutter your notes with x at the front, and then the relating chapter halfway through or vice versa. Make sure it's coherent! All of it.

Secondly, you're going to want to learn the mark schemes for every and all science past papers you've seen. They're a tremendous help.
I didn't do triple, but I'm sure as hell I could wipe the floor with the test with my revision method.(I was predicted C's in Core & Add, you can guess what I got.)

Furthermore, with science, there's a tutor on YouTube called 'MyGCSEScience'. I couldn't afford a tutor either, so most of my tuition came from self study and the internet. Utilize the resources!

For Maths, I was predicted a B, came out with two A's.(lel, 1 in early sitting, the 2nd was because I didn't revise hard enough haha)

Maths is ALL PRACTICE.

I honestly don't care what people say.

You simply cannot revise maths for 1 hour in the week and do well.

It needs to be constant. On the ball. 30-90 minutes, everyday for around 2 months and you'll become a god.

MATHSWATCH, a tuition CD is also really helpful for learning concepts, and if you can't buy it. *cough* torrent.

Just so you know, I'd recommend doing volumes of complex shapes and lots of probability questions, because had I got those correct or answered them, I may have got the better grade after.
Anyhow, the internet has an abundance of mathematical knowledge, utilize it.

Ultimately, I just recommend you stay on the ball for all your subjects

You need to be there, on the grind, for 90 minutes, every damn day.

Good luck, all the best. :smile:

Thanks so much this is very helpful!!
Thanks so much this is very helpful!!

No worries, you're welcome. :wink:

GL

Quick Reply

Latest