The Student Room Group

GCSE certificates

I'm about to start year 13 and I have never been given GCSE certificates. I didn't even realise this was a problem, but people in the year above have been telling me I will need them for uni applications and things, as the paper we get from school with our results on isn't official. Will my school even have them as I got my GCSE results over a year ago? Are they necessary for UCAS application or just if the university requests proof of results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The good news is that they generally aren't necessary for UCAS applications.

However, I'd still recommend you pestering your school for them.
You never know when you might need to provide proof of your achievements.
Or when family members might feel they need to go, "Oooooh isn't she bright."

Even if your school doesn't have them for whatever malevolent reason, they ought to send off for them for you.
Did you not have a certificate presentation evening or anything like that, some time around the December after you left the school?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Yesterday, I got a letter from my school along with my results saying on it that another letter will be sent out for an "Awards Evening" in which we get a chance to collect our certificates for our GCSE's some time in November. It also says that if you do no come to awards evening you cannot collect until early december and that THEY WILL NOT POST THEM OUT as they cannot be replaced.
Reply 3
You usually get the paper printed results before the certificates on results day.

And the certificates usually take around 3-4 months after that to arrive at your school where you did the exam.

Go to your school, they have to keep them there for a period of time (forgot what it was) but it should be there.
Original post by Rampage
You usually get the paper printed results before the certificates on results day.

Just on this point, I think it's worth pointing out that these results slips can not be used as proxies for certificates if an employer is demanding proof for whatever reason.
Definitely try to get hold of the certificates.
Reply 5
As an aside- if the worst happens and the certificates are truly lost, you can contact the exam boards for substitute documents. These aren't true replacements of the original certificates, but are accepted by colleges/unis etc.
Though they're really expensive to get hold of- it would have cost me £80+ just to get replacements of my Maths and English, but luckily I ended up not needing them :smile:- they are an option if you really need them.
You can ask your school which exam boards they used, then you can go online to see which documents the board provides/which ones you'd need as evidence for your uni/employer.
Hope it doesn't come to that though!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending