The Student Room Group

Possible careers in medicine?

Hi, I've recently received my GCSE results and they weren't what I hope them to be, but I was wondering if I can still apply for medicine with the results I got for GCSE if I manage to get A's in A level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology?

My GCSE results are:

Biology - A
Chemistry - A
CiDA - M (equivelant to 2 A's at GCSE )
English - A
English Literature - B
French - B
Geography - B
History - A
Mathematics - A
Physical Education - D
Physics - B
Religious Education - A*
Spanish - C
Statistics - B

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noelphilip
Hi, I've recently received my GCSE results and they weren't what I hope them to be, but I was wondering if I can still apply for medicine with the results I got for GCSE if I manage to get A's in A level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology?

My GCSE results are:

Biology - A
Chemistry - A
English - A
English Literature - B
French - B
Geography - B
History - A
Mathematics - A
Physical Education - D
Physics - B
Religious Education - A*
Spanish - C
Statistics - B

yes. get 3 As at A-level and you'll be fine.

My GCSE results are:

Biology - A
Chemistry - A
English - A
English Literature - B
French - B
Geography - B
History - A
Mathematics - A
Physical Education - D
Physics - B
Religious Education - A*
Spanish - C
Statistics - B

Why do you actually want to study medicine? Because I'm getting the feeling most people on here want to study it for the money and the status it gives them in sociey, rather than what it's really about. Do something more original.
Reply 3
Original post by localfox1000

Thank you, but could you possibly tell me if I will be able to study to become a doctor with my current results or will i have to redo any of them?
Reply 4
Original post by snikutsmullac
Why do you actually want to study medicine? Because I'm getting the feeling most people on here want to study it for the money and the status it gives them in sociey, rather than what it's really about. Do something more original.

I want to do medicine because I want to help people and make a difference to their lives (in a positive way) and my strong point is science and medicine seemed the logical choice.
I want to do medicine because I want to help people and make a difference to their lives (in a positive way) and my strong point is science and medicine seemed the logical choice.

You know if you say "You want to help people" in your interview when asked why you want to study medicine, you wont get in.
Thank you, but could you possibly tell me if I will be able to study to become a doctor with my current results or will i have to redo any of them?

Your GCSEs are fine. You should be ale to apply to majority of universities as long as you get 3 As in your A-levels. But because they're not amazing you might be ruled out for the top few universities( Ox, Cam, Imperial plus a few others).

I wouldn't worry about retaking your GCSEs though. Its a lot of hassle for what you'll get out of it. Just concentrate on doing well in your A-levels.
Reply 7
You know if you say "You want to help people" in your interview when asked why you want to study medicine, you wont get in.

I'm not going say that in an interview, it will be more along the lines of how I was intrigued from a very young age as to how the human body worked and how medicines helped to cure the sick. Then i'll throw in about the things i've seen where there were people in the world who didn't get any medical attention and how people died due to that. But if you have any tips on how to respond to such a question could you possibly tell me?
Reply 8
Your GCSEs are fine. You should be ale to apply to majority of universities as long as you get 3 As in your A-levels. But because they're not amazing you might be ruled out for the top few universities( Ox, Cam, Imperial plus a few others).

I wouldn't worry about retaking your GCSEs though. Its a lot of hassle for what you'll get out of it. Just concentrate on doing well in your A-levels.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 9
I'm not going say that in an interview, it will be more along the lines of how I was intrigued from a very young age as to how the human body worked and how medicines helped to cure the sick. Then i'll throw in about the things i've seen where there were people in the world who didn't get any medical attention and how people died due to that. But if you have any tips on how to respond to such a question could you possibly tell me?

I would be very reluctant to take that approach. It may well be the truth but it's so cliched that it's actually a bit cringy. You need to come up with a more convincing, original reason perhaps by drawing on work experience you may have or need to obtain. Remember that admissions tutors have been asking this question for a while and if they hear that answer, all they're going to think is 'here we go again!'.
Reply 10
Original post by Larry31
I would be very reluctant to take that approach. It may well be the truth but it's so cliched that it's actually a bit cringy. You need to come up with a more convincing, original reason perhaps by drawing on work experience you may have or need to obtain. Remember that admissions tutors have been asking this question for a while and if they hear that answer, all they're going to think is 'here we go again!'.

So things such as work experience and Medilinks courses?
Reply 11
So things such as work experience and Medilinks courses?

Work experience, volunteer work etc. etc. The Medlink events aren't really worth paying out for really because all they do is give you a load of information that you could find elsewhere for free. They certainly won't give you an edge with the admission tutors. Sorry if I sounded quite blunt before, but you've got to be very tactical with the way you go about answering 'Why Medicine?'. If you say you want to help people and that you're interested in the human body then you open yourself up to the horrible question of 'Oh why not nursing then?'. It's also sometimes good to acknowledge the negative aspects of Medicine and explain why you feel that you can cope with them.
I forgot to say congratulations on your GCSE grades btw :smile: Did well to get them when the grades are falling nationally. You will be able to apply to study medicine, but you have to choose carefully because certain medical schools will want high GCSE grades e.g. Kings, Oxford, Cardiff and Birmingham. You only have four choices, it'd be stupid to give one up because of a silly choice of uni.

Will my GCSE grades be fine as well?

History C
Maths C
Bio B
Chem B
Physic B
BusSt B
IT B
EngLang B
Eng Lit B
RE A

Funny that because I said that and got in...
Reply 14

Not true at all! Well, I'm not doing it based on the money. And if people want to apply for just this reason then that's pathetic in my opinion.
Reply 15
Original post by Muppet Science
Wow well done :smile: Where did you go then?
Original post by Midnight1811
Will my GCSE grades be fine as well?

yes.
Original post by Muppet Science

Same. The uppity GCSE students who're rudest tend to be ones who're the most wrong. Lol, criticising people's motives for going into medicine when all they've done is post their GCSE grades.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Same. The uppity GCSE students who're rudest tend to be ones who're the most wrong. Lol, criticising people's motives for going into medicine when all they've done is post their GCSE grades.

It's the most generic answer you can think of, "i want to help people". You might want to but think of something that's a bit more original to say. I'm not stupid. In a world where things are getting more and more competitive, especially things such as medical courses, you need to do everything in your power to stand out against the crowd. Therefore saying something that thousands of other applicants have repeated doesn't seem like a wise move.
It's the most generic answer you can think of, "i want to help people". You might want to but think of something that's a bit more original to say. I'm not stupid. In a world where things are getting more and more competitive, especially things such as medical courses, you need to do everything in your power to stand out against the crowd. Therefore saying something that thousands of other applicants have repeated doesn't seem like a wise move.

Believe me, buddy. There's not a single answer you can come up with the interviewers hasn't been said thousands of times. "Why medicine?" isn't a question that's designed to screen you for "most original and memorable reasons", it's quite simply a "have you put thought into this? Do you have any idea what medicine is actually like?" idea. There's nothing wrong with "I want to help people" for a reason you want to study medicine, and there's nothing wrong with saying it in interview; it's incredibly presumptuous to start jumping down people's throats for daring to mention it. I think OP's got pretty good reasons and there's absolutely no need to be rude to him.

Quick Reply

Latest