Are these A Level Choices too much of a workload to study all together??

Watch
rphillipson
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Okay, so I'm starting my A Levels this September. I went to my college enrolment today, and told them my chosen courses. My chosen courses are English Literature, Textiles, History and Politics.

They agreed to put me down for all of these subjects, but did advise me that these subjects together would be an intensive workload.

Do you think this might be too much for me to cope with? I'm going to do Japanese or Italian for enrichment also.
Solivagant
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
My sister did Textiles and she did spend most of her time on it, and I think it hurt her other grades.

It depends what you want to do, and how hard you are prepared to work.
rphillipson
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by CJG21)
My sister did Textiles and she did spend most of her time on it, and I think it hurt her other grades.

It depends what you want to do, and how hard you are prepared to work.
Well I really want to go into fashion design which is why I'm taking Textiles. The other three subjects I have chosen are my natural strengths, except perhaps History which will need a bit more work.
Leonie_Kavanagh
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
A lot of work in History and politics overlap depending on what syllabus the college are going by, but my friend done Textiles and she went on to do graphic design in uni, she did say college was hard, but it was what she wanted to do, so she did work her ass off. I did history and believe me it's a struggle trying to remember dates and acts and stuff. If it's what you want to do then you should but be prepared for a lot of work
excal9
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I have no experience with textiles and I've done very sciency subjects but i can tell you from watching friends that your other 3 subjects will involve a lot of extra work (essays, reading etc) to achieve a good grade, but if they are subjects you're interested in and are prepared to work then there shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.
username1042689
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If you're interested in them, and good at them, you'll be fine, but it will be a lot of work - particularly with Textiles; your frees will turn into working on Textiles coursework. Be prepared.
larajg12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I have friends who do Textiles and as with any Art based subject there is a lot of coursework and the sheer amount of work you need to complete in a short time is very large. I do English and History together and it is definitely a lot of work, especially since History requires quite a lot of reading around the subject ( at least my sixth form stressed this) and obviously with English you need to read a lot. Nevertheless I think it will be doable for you as long as you put the effort in!
username1229433
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Don't do textiles! It takes so much of your time, which leaves you less time to revise for your other subjects. I wasted a year doing that subject, even though it wasn't my intention to do it. So, if you're thinking about dropping a subject, textiles would be the first. But, if you can handle the amount of pressure from all four subjects, and able to achieve good grades then challenge yourself. If not, then start off with three.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AIRF07
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by babyshawte)
Don't do textiles! It takes so much of your time, which leaves you less time to revise for your other subjects. I wasted a year doing that subject, even though it wasn't my intention to do it. So, if you're thinking about dropping a subject, textiles would be the first. But, if you can handle the amount of pressure from all four subjects, and able to achieve good grades then challenge yourself. If not, then start off with three.

Posted from TSR Mobile
100% agree with this. If you want to be a fashion designer, do a college course in fashion design, not a levels (especially not coursework based, media, travel & tourism, textiles & German so 3 cwk subjects and a language was the worst thing I've ever done)

The textiles course is soooo much coursework and takes a lot of time. If it was just writing it would be ok but you get marked on your presentation the making everything it is horrible. By the time you finish the coursework it's about March/April or well may as my friend is still making her final piece and the deadline was 2 weeks ago lol. Then the exam syllabus is absolutely huge like never ending . You don't get a proper revision book or any revision guides just some massive humongous £30 book you have to buy called 'textiles at the cutting edge' or something g which is soooo boring you can't revise from

Our whole class got A's & B's in iur coursework yet in the exam the highest grade was a D because there simply isn't enough time to revise !!! And too much to revise. It seriously hinders your grade.
Don't do it to yourself

Good luck xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads