The Student Room Group

Worth doing a CompSci conversion?

Hi guys,

I'm considering a career in Software Development and am currently doing a degree in Chemistry and Maths (going into final year).

I've done a quick search for CompSci conversion courses but the only programmes I can find are at U of Kent and U of Bristol, neither of which I particularly fancy. I'll still do some more searching though.

So is it worth doing a CompSci conversion course? Or is the experience going to be more important to get my foot in the SDev door?

Thanks for any advice :smile:
Reply 1
If you look at a few software development graduate courses they look for people with degrees in a maths or science subject so comp science isn't a requirement. Obviously you will want programming experience though. Not sure what a conversion course is but I would finish your current degree but get to grips with some programming and experience is always good, especially in a subject like software development where practical work is a better representation of your skills.
Reply 2
Original post by wales321
If you look at a few software development graduate courses they look for people with degrees in a maths or science subject so comp science isn't a requirement. Obviously you will want programming experience though. Not sure what a conversion course is but I would finish your current degree but get to grips with some programming and experience is always good, especially in a subject like software development where practical work is a better representation of your skills.

Conversion is pretty much a fast track 1 year undergrad course (upt simply at least).

So you're pretty much saying wait another year before applying so I can get some more programming experience?

Reply 3
Formal comp sci education is not necessary to become a software developer. Computer science is not about software development. Get a junior dev job, or an internship, or even just buy a book and start building software.

Comp sci is about algorithms and discrete maths. Being a good software developer - while knowledge of those things is useful - is more about knowledge of systems, design patterns, languages and frameworks.

This kind of course will have little to no bearing on your ability to get a dev job - employers want to know you have the practical ability and even often shy away from people with theoretical backgrounds.

For context - I'm a first class computer science graduate and professional .NET developer. I work for a medium-large (small when I was hired) digital agency and my interview was with the founder and then-technical-director of the company who originally expressed concerns that I had a very theoretical background with a lack of portfolio work - the ability to present yourself as a capable and resourceful person helps too!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Planto
Formal comp sci education is not necessary to become a software developer. Computer science is not about software development. Get a junior dev job, or an internship, or even just buy a book and start building software.

Comp sci is about algorithms and discrete maths. Being a good software developer - while knowledge of those things is useful - is more about knowledge of systems, design patterns, languages and frameworks.

This kind of course will have little to no bearing on your ability to get a dev job - employers want to know you have the practical ability and even often shy away from people with theoretical backgrounds.

For context - I'm a first class computer science graduate and professional .NET developer. I work for a medium-large (small when I was hired) digital agency and my interview was with the founder and then-technical-director of the company who originally expressed concerns that I had a very theoretical background with a lack of portfolio work - the ability to present yourself as a capable and resourceful person helps too!

Thanks - that's great advice.

You mention a knowledge of Systems, Design patterns and frameworks.

Can you recommend any good books/webstes that are good for reading up on any of these areas?

Thanks again
Reply 5
Original post by Chemhistorian

Can you recommend any good books/webstes that are good for reading up on any of these areas?

Thanks again

I am in a similar situation to you OP (getting into a software related job with no compsci related degree). Currently I work as a PHP developer, and I'm also getting into .Net development.

You should think about what exactly you want to be. Software development is obviously a very broad field, and the amount of technologies involved is overwhelming, so you need to specialize - whether it be .Net web development, android apps, or whatever.

As for books, I would read one about a relevant programming language, particularly one aimed at newbies to programming in general. You can then start to appreciate some general programming principles. After that you can look into a relevant framework (e.g. .Net, which will also teach about the MVC architecture pattern) and get stuck into it with a book or tutorials or whatever.
Reply 6
Original post by Chemhistorian

Thanks again

http://martinfowler.com/

You need a good understanding of oop to understand most his material so keep that in mind.
Reply 7
Hey there,

I'm currently sitting for my 3rd year CS programme and I'm just passing by to give me personal opinion.

Since I was young I love doing programming and I'm still doing it in daily basis but recently I found out that Programming/SDev is more like a hobby than a career for me (personally I think you can make your hobby as your career path too), I regretted my decision of taking CompSci as my main meal.

Don't get me wrong CompSci is great, is just that you can learn almost anything from the internet. Maybe if you do want to go for CS, go for something that's not to main stream (maybe AI, that's what I'm doing right now).

Sure you can do a lot of thing with programming skill but I'm pretty sure you can achieve more with your math + chemistry skill added with programming skill. For instance, I attended Student Developer Challenge hosted by Samsung for universities around the UK and I was one of the top 10 but the top 3 students are not from CS stream, they are from Art, Physics, and Chemistry streams. Its clear why I couldnt beat them, its because they applied their knowledge of Physics/Chem/Art into the application (the knowledge that I don't have). All I can do was fancy user interface design + fancy super fast algorithm which, apparently, were not fancy enough to beat them.

My point is, programming sure its cool. But Programming + other knowledge, booooh that's the stuff.

PS: now I ended up doing some physics on my own while sitting for CompSci.
Reply 8
Original post by Planto

All true.

But as a fellow CSer, if I had the choice between employing a CSer and an economist for a dev job, I would always choose the CSe as they studied the science of computers.

A huge chunk of computing is writing algorithms as you spend half your time sorting data.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by kelvinscor
Hey there,

I'm currently sitting for my 3rd year CS programme and I'm just passing by to give me personal opinion.

Since I was young I love doing programming and I'm still doing it in daily basis but recently I found out that Programming/SDev is more like a hobby than a career for me (personally I think you can make your hobby as your career path too), I regretted my decision of taking CompSci as my main meal.

Don't get me wrong CompSci is great, is just that you can learn almost anything from the internet. Maybe if you do want to go for CS, go for something that's not to main stream (maybe AI, that's what I'm doing right now).

Sure you can do a lot of thing with programming skill but I'm pretty sure you can achieve more with your math + chemistry skill added with programming skill. For instance, I attended Student Developer Challenge hosted by Samsung for universities around the UK and I was one of the top 10 but the top 3 students are not from CS stream, they are from Art, Physics, and Chemistry streams. Its clear why I couldnt beat them, its because they applied their knowledge of Physics/Chem/Art into the application (the knowledge that I don't have). All I can do was fancy user interface design + fancy super fast algorithm which, apparently, were not fancy enough to beat them.

My point is, programming sure its cool. But Programming + other knowledge, booooh that's the stuff.

PS: now I ended up doing some physics on my own while sitting for CompSci.

TBH you may think it is not an advantage right now, but if you applied to an IT management consultancy firm - they would prefer you to have a CS degree over physics etc.

Also CS is heavily maths, so the skills are transferable if you go into computing that has a science element.

It will also open doors in the financial sector.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by fat_hobbit
TBH you may think it is not an advantage right now, but if you applied to an IT management consultancy firm - they would prefer you to have a CS degree over physics etc.

Also CS is heavily maths, so the skills are transferable if you go into computing that has a science element.

It will also open doors in the financial sector.

You are probably right, I have not jump into job hunting yet. I'm doing my placement with Symantec right now, what confuses me is that most of my fellow interns are not from CS stream, I'm the only CS student :frown:.
Original post by kelvinscor
You are probably right, I have not jump into job hunting yet. I'm doing my placement with Symantec right now, what confuses me is that most of my fellow interns are not from CS stream, I'm the only CS student :frown:.

well most grad schemes ask for individuals of any discipline. Saying that, you have the edge over them because you are a CSer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending